Home many dives before I can take my wreck course and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Jim Lapenta said, a good recreational (for example: PADI, NAUI, SSI) wreck course taught by a great instructor can be fantastic. Back in the summer of '97 or '98, I did a PADI recreational wreck course taught by a tec diving instructor who was really enthusiastic about wrecks and caves, and he taught a superb course. It was actually almost a tec wreck penetration course in its thoroughness. I am now a PADI instructor who is qualified to teach the PADI wreck specialty course, and I'm a pretty good instructor, but I don't think I could possibly teach it as well as that guy taught me. He was the kind of guy who liked to spend his free time mapping unexplored underwater cave systems, and he made laying line while frog-kicking around seem natural and easy.

That was in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, USA, which is a wreck diver's paradise. Beaufort, NC or Morehead City, NC were the towns I usually used to go to for NC diving; only slightly further north and you get much colder water and much worse viz.

My line-laying skills were rusty and out-of-date but the rest of my wreck diving skills were reasonably good many years later when I took a full technical wreck penetration course. I did that in Subic Bay, Philippines -- not from Andy, but from a very well-known IANTD instructor who lives in Puerto Galera. Again, a great course. (I'm sure Andy does a very good course, too).

Another fantastic place to do a wreck course would be Coron, Philippines. Lots of awesome wrecks, all within recreational depths but also offering technical dives if you're at that level.

For cold water diving, the Great Lakes between Canada and the US have lots of amazing wrecks. I've never been there, but definitely on my to-do list. In Europe, Scotland's Scapa Flow is also a famous wreck-diving mecca. I've never been there either, but I think it is probably more suitable for advanced (i.e., technical) divers than for a relatively novice diver. The Baltic Sea is also supposed to be great for wreckers -- again, though, maybe not for a less-experienced diver. Of course, Truk (Chuuk) is usually at the top of a list of the world's best wreck diving locations, but because of its expense I think you would want to get your training first, and then go to Truk. I wouldn't go there for a course.

There are countless other places where you can get good or great training on/in a single wreck or a few of them, but for lots and lots of wrecks in warm water, it's hard to beat Subic Bay (Philippines), Coron (Philippines), and North Carolina (USA).

I've never been to Malta, but if Doppler recommends it, it must be pretty good.

As for how many dives? Depends on how challenging the dives you've already done have been. Generally speaking, I would say that anyone should postpone any sort of penetration training until after 50 or 60 open water dives, at least. A diver needs to build up a certain level of experience with just being underwater breathing through a regulator, as well as with buoyancy control, controlling breathing gas consumption rate, dealing with underwater problems (mask leaks, reg freeflows, hangovers or allergies or whatever), etc. before being really ready to penetrate a shipwreck for more than just a "swim-through."

Last edited:
Scapa Flow(cold) in Orkney(Scotland). The season is short ie. summer only.
Rec wreck and Tec wreck is completely different ball game. You need to be Tec certified before you can commence the Tec Wreck course!!

Not that short.
It is a great place, but not sure if it's worth going there to do recreational wreck... unless some rules are bent a bit... The larger ships are deep and the most fun in the shallow block ships is going inside (penetration may even be the only way to dive them due to the current).

Depends on where your 40 dives are. Wrecks are in the ocean and usually out in open water. Some folks who have learned in quarries or done only shallow reef dives may be a bit nervous in doing the transition to open ocean diving. So no matter how many dives you have, you probably should have done enough open ocean dives to be comfortable with them before taking the wreck course. Could be a couple could be a bunch. Depends on you.

Rubbish, you can do a fine wreck diving specialty in a quarry Wreck Diver

Many top instructors have never set foot outside quarry waters.

(End sarcasm)

For close easy intro to wreck diving in warm waters Malta hits the mark.Plenty of dive shops available, I used Cresta dive(PADI) who I would definitely recommend.The warm water season I believe is May-September perhaps longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom