Homemade weights for us working class folks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thats another option for people that are interested in molding their own hard weights. i know not everyone has weight integrated BC's but you can get nylon pouches that slide on weight belts. thats why i see soft weights as a more logical explanation.

not to mention there are quite a few risks involved with melting down the lead. ALSO you have to purchase way more supplies to do it properly, eating away at your savings. in a nutshell, heres my plan!
step 1- find and purchase lead shot for $35 for a 25 lb bag.
step 2- divide and transfer into heavy duty freezer bags for durability.
step 3- place in integrated bc pouch or pouch on belt.
step 4- go buy more useful equipment with the savings.

this method also keeps the lead from getting wet and bleeding on your equipment.
and you can make custom nylon pouches from a fabric shop for about $2 a yard.

Something to consider with making your own soft weights....lead shot for reloading is not coated, so everytime you enter the water lead washes off the shot and into the lake or ocean.....just saying...

Something to consider with making your own soft weights....lead shot for reloading is not coated, so everytime you enter the water lead washes off the shot and into the lake or ocean.....just saying...

Even if the pellets were coated, how long would it take for the coating to rub off? A soft pouch has 100s - 1,000s of pellets rubbing against each.

Trident makes a traditional square scuba weight mold that will cast weights from 1 to 4.5 pounds with wheel weights and 1-5 poinds with pure lead. Cost is only $15 and will make hundreds of weights.

I have cast lead weights for years - but also cast bullets where precision is a much more important issue. In that regard soem of the information above is misleading.

With cast bullets, if you start with wheel weights you need to add about 1.5% tin to get better fill in the mold and to ensure the proper bullet diameter. There is also no need to flux the lead to ensure an even distribution of the alloy. Wheel weights already have a bunch of antimony in them, so lack of hardness is also not a concern.

Since precision diameter and perfectly filled mold cavities are also not an issue when casting scuba weights, you can just melt the lead down in an old cast iron skillet, skim off the steel clips, rust, etc, and pour it in the mold. Preheating the aluminim trident mold slightly will keep the lead liquid until the whole mold is filled and gives a slightly better looking weight, but beyond that there is no need to get fancy.

Just pour the lead in, let it cool until the top surface is hard (under a minute in a cold mold, maybe 2-3 minutes in a hot mold) turn it over tap the mold on a hard surface and the weight will fall out. If you let it cool too long, the weight will still come out but it will take a few harder taps to get it out. If you don't let it cool enough, the weight will crack or break - but you just melt it again and start over. After making a half dozen, you will be an expert.

As noted above, pure lead is heavier than the lead/tin/antimony alloy used in wheel weights, so the weight is slightly heavier, but much softer. The trident mold has lines in it and you get approximately one pound for each line you fill to.

Safety wise, molten lead is very hot, so use due care to avoid spills and splashes. Molten Lead is also very hot - 650-700 degrees, so make sure the pan you melt it in and the mold you pour it in are dry. Molten lead will instnatly vaporize water and the resulting steam can blow lead out at you. Use suitable gloves and safety glasses.

Also do not use any pan you ever plan to use again to cook out of as lead is toxic if ingested. Also be sure to melt lead in a well ventilated area. Melting lead on a small camp stove on the deck or in the back yard works fine. Goes without saying to keep the kids and pets away.

In terms of toxicity the risk with cast lead is up front if you do it on the kitchen stove or in a non ventilated area and the risks are pretty obvious.

Lead shot is more of a threat but is les obvious but just as toxic but over a longer period of time. You will get lots of dust and oxidation on the lead shot that will flake off as the shot pellets move against each other and over time you will have lead dust and oxide on your weighbelt, your scuba equipment, in your car, on your hands etc, and you will almost certainly ingest some of it. Hard lead weights are much safer and more environmentally freindly over the long term.

Coatings used on premium lead shot include copper plating, which is fairly durable and is designed to reduce deformation of the shot when it is fired. But it also oxidizes and overtime, as it is a thin coating, will get worn off my the movement of shot pellets against each other.

thats a good point. i will check into that for my self. i still however like to atleast carry some extra weights for the ones that may need it. to sum it up, i like to be over prepared. right now i have purchased all my gear except the weights because i have been using a friends when we go diving. one thing that i might point out about the class is that some people may not have the money, the time, or the awareness about this class. its the first i have heard of any kind of buoyancy class. on the other hand. its just a piece of knowledge for the people that are in the market for a weight or 2, or want to add to their collection, or whatever the case may be. for the price of 2 5 lb weights, you can have 25 lbs custom fitted.

Give it some thought. I posted a thread a few months ago on the topic of weighting that might be worth a read. Also, talk with your local dive shop or post a note on SB for an instructor in your area. My local shop Indian Valley Scuba worked with me on cost. It was the best investment to date, hands down, in my training.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/295390-weight-not-weight.html

I went through this same thought process about 2 years ago. I have all the gear to melt lead and access to all the lead I can get my kids and friends kids to dig out of the backstop at our range. I cast repro mini-balls to shoot in my shooting club, so I have 50-60 lbs of lead in my garage most of the time.

Problem with a DIY solution that involves casting is you will never make up the cost of the equipment unless you go into business selling weights. A 10lb melting pot costs $50+ and the molds for weights are $15 or so. Assume you can get the lead for free you have $110 in equipment (not to mention the little nick-nacks you need like ingot molds for leftover lead, etc). So unless you need more than 25lbs of lead, you can buy it for $5/lb cheaper. Then there is the time, if you have clean lead already, to melt and mold 20 lbs of weights your looking at a four hour process if you know what you are doing. If you have scrap lead you have to melt and scrape the slag off a couple times, you are looking at an all day event. If you have a bunch of buds and want to spend a day making weights and have a few cold ones, it could be worth it.

I found a guy on ebay that was selling for $1.50 a pound, shipping included (flat rate priority boxes are the way to go when shipping lead) :wink: . Looks like he went away and someone else bought his business and it's back, but the deal isn't as good.

you guys are missing the point of the SEALED FREEZER BAG. it has a double lock, is water tight and keeps the lead and you separate.

also just to clarify,
this thread was about Lead Shot! not the dangerous and tedious task of molding hard weights. i know there are DIY's out there but it is SOOO dangerous and takes up a good bit of time. not to mention you probably wouldnt get it right the first time either. Im talking about lead shot that is put in to water sealed bags, and then put into a nylon or mesh material for strength and then put them in your integrated bc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom