Hopping my way to full cave...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to, erm, "borrow" @Manatee Diver 's thread for a moment. I'm coming back down in April/May, and I just posted a thread asking for buddies: Looking for Cave Buddy in Cave Country April 28 through May 6, 2022 .

I just wanted to get some attention in this thread. When I did this a couple of weeks ago, I got no response here on SB (I did get a bit on CDF), so I thought I might pimp out Shawn for a moment... :) And of course, feel free to ask him directly what it's like to dive with me: I understand that nobody really likes random buddies in a cave...

@Manatee Diver : you get first dibs; DM/text me and let me know what works! :)
I would be very interested in diving with you on the proviso you pick me up at Jackonsville International, with my tag on a label.

I need to see about talking about my instructor was when one is ready for DPV. I am really starting to reach the end of the range of my tanks plus stage.

it is not always about continuing farther. DPV's make life better, not going to lie about that, and with the Blacktip out there is a very reasonably priced option that will take you to some fantastic places. I will also admit to actually seeing more of the cave when I am on a DPV because I am not hunting for the next rock to hide behind or the next handhold. That all said, too many use them as a substitute for poor technique and they tend to promote poor technique for many divers.
As a general rule of thumb, 100 dives post full cave as a broad generalization though I would encourage you to really make sure that you have no only started to really hit the penetration limits of Ginnie, but also a myriad of other caves in the area before you go down that path. There is a huge difference between 100 dives, and 1 dive 100 times...

it is not always about continuing farther. DPV's make life better, not going to lie about that, and with the Blacktip out there is a very reasonably priced option that will take you to some fantastic places.
For me I also want to spend more time at some of the places that I visit. It would be great to get to an area that I can reach normally and spend 10-15 minutes poking around, instead of getting there and going "Well, I'm out of penetration gas" :thumb2:

Well I figure it is time to revive this thread. This year I am going to make the push to get ready for DPV cave. I had to take a two month break due to a mistake with a wood working router. So next fall I am going to take the course.

There are some things I need to work on, first I am planning and executing double stage dives since my instructor requires at least carrying two stages for his course. This is part of my quest to find the Whale Bone off of double lines, and to do the Hill 400 circuit.

Second is that I need to work on my line laying. I rarely run lines except for short distances for jumps. I did a dive in OG yesterday, and while I don't think it is bad line run, it could be better. So I am going to spend time both in Ginnie and Little River practicing.

The dive yesterday was fun. It was my first serious trip into Upper Orange since I did it with @tmassey almost three years ago. The Duck Weed always made it one of the last places I wanted to dive. I was going with a new buddy so I didn't really plan anything out of it other than it being a safe dive. The furthest I got in before was about 800ft, but it was rather exciting as the distance arrows got smaller and smaller faster than my gas supply was diminishing. Made it to Challenge just before thirds, which was pretty exciting.

Of course the excitement wore off when I realized I have to spend the better part of the next hour swimming back, and my calf was getting tired. The way back was uneventful, except that my NDL remaining got lower than I expected down to 3 minutes at one point. So in future I need to remember to bring oxygen into the water just in case, it isn't like I haven't done a bunch of deco at Peacock.

As usual with Peacock it gets a lot nicer once you get past the Intro distance limit. Saw lots of isopods and a few crawfish. Now I want to go back and really explore the OG side of Peacock.

Go fills at Amigos to see if Wayne or the new owner was there to check the situation out. But it was just me, my sandwich, and YT videos to keep me company. I don't know if I got lucky or because of the new owner but the banks were really full for the first time in a long time. I accidentally got over 4k again (and it really was an accident it had chilled down to 3,500 and I just wanted to push it up to 3,700).

I saw Tim Young's place near Amigos, didn't stop because I wanted to scout for any changes at Amigos. And I could use another "Dive More Post Less" sticker, my gear bin has a crack in it, so it is almost time to replace it.

This year I am going to make the push to get ready for DPV cave.
Cool, now I know what I'm going to do next year. I've been following in your footsteps (footstep? :wink:) for a while, eagerly & repeatedly reading your thread in the months leading up to my Apprentice. So much good info! I for one am glad you're going to post some more. :cheers:

Hopefully in my prop wash. :rofl3:

I never thought I worked too hard in the cave, but the DPV noticably reduced deco stress over the course of my last trip.

Your going to love it.

Also, didn't we talk about how to find that whale bone?

I believe so, just haven't been to Ginnie since at least October.

Went to Little River yesterday. The water level is really low just in the lower sections of the run, this is the first time I've visited it while the water level was below the concrete. It was really difficult for me to get in and out. And the fact that the cave was freaking packed, at least a dozen other divers across at least four teams.

Once in the water, I found running the reel was really difficult, not really any good places to do a secondary tie off. I think I did an adequate job, but it needs a lot of work. But the flow was up quite a lot. I brought my 85s and a stage. I ended up dropping the stage at the 200ft arrow, which is half the distance I make it to normally. I did manage to find the clay palace that @kensuf mentioned, it is really pretty. Since I made my primary objective I turned, and proceeded to hit my secondary objective of poking around some of the jump lines and look in random holes. I poked into what I think is the entrance to the candy siphion, it was around the 200ft arrow.

Also took a jump line on top of the corkscrew. It is on the map, though it didn't seem that long when I took it. Nor did it feel like a sidemount only tunnel, but that might just be getting used to getting into sidemounty places.

Deco wasn't too bad as most people leave when I got there, but if they didn't leave I'm not sure where I would done deco.

I need to go back a few more times to practice line running, but I am going to wait until the water is at least up to the concrete.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom