Horrible sore on lip after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actaully the Herpes virus is called a latent satge virus. It hides in your DNA so antibodies can't recognize it. If antibodies attack it, the antibodies will also attack your DNA then. It lies dormant until an immune deficiency occurs and it pops out along the nerve of your lip (simplified description). It will be with you forever because its part of your genome now. Some viruses can even mutate your DNA. Viruses are not concidered living because they can't perform metabolism. They hijack a cell inject their DNA and force the cell to spontaneously assemble the DNA particles producing more virii. OK enough Micro for the night.

So all it takes is an immune deficiency to trigger it? Like being sick? How does sunburn, dehydration and prolonged seawater exposure factor into that?
This is fascinating...

Just to throw a curve here try and eliminate all other physical causes.

Is the reg pulling due to too short/long a regulator hose?
Is there a rough spot on either the mouthpiece?
Is the strap at the buckle on the zip tie retaining the mouthpiece trimmed FLUSH with no protruding or even slightly raised edges?

Any of these can cause a repeated location lip injury.

FT

So it's not just me! I have woken up the day after every dive with a cold sore. (Waiting to see if I get one tomorrow.) I get cold sores all the time but I couldn't figure out what it was specific to diving that was causing it.
My reg wasn't bugging me at all and there wasn't a jelly in my mask. :tongue2:
Thanks for the chap stick advice. You can also ask your doc about taking Valtrex or something after diving to prevent it. I haven't talked to DAN about it yet so you may want to check with them too.
Ciao!

Do some research and googling. The answers are there. Quite technical but there if you work at it. Cold sore appear on me when:

Under stress
Emotional stress
Sun burn
Not enough sleep

etc

Hi Steve from NZ,

As the other members have already stated, this is most likely a herpetic lesion. I would like to add a few more thoughts.

Most people are exposed to and are infected by the Herpes Simplex virus as children. The initial infection that leads to "cold sores" is called Primary Herpetic Gingivostomatitis. Symptoms may include a low grade fever, swelling, blistering of the oral mucosa..both keratinized and unkeratinized, malaise, cold like symptoms and PAIN!

This is the infection that "seeds" the tissue with virus. Following the primary infection, recurrent "cold sores" will periodically appear. They usually appear in the same place each time. Severity is variable.

Recurrent infections are usually associated with some condition that alters the person's health. Exposure to sun, salt, wind, trauma, menstruation, illness, physical or emotional stress, trauma, fever, etc. all can trigger a recurrence. All of these factors can alter your immunity. However, this type of immune deficiency is not to be confused with HIV infection, although a person who is HIV infected is certainly more prone to recurrent episodes. Recurrent infections generally affect only one side or the other of the mouth or lips...the infection is asymmetrical...when the palate is involved, the viral lesions will stop at the middle of the palate.

I must differ with ScubaSarus.

Quote:
"Actaully the Herpes virus is called a latent stage virus. It hides in your DNA so antibodies can't recognize it. If antibodies attack it, the antibodies will also attack your DNA then. It lies dormant until an immune deficiency occurs and it pops out along the nerve of your lip (simplified description). It will be with you forever because its part of your genome now. Some viruses can even mutate your DNA. Viruses are not concidered living because they can't perform metabolism. They hijack a cell inject their DNA and force the cell to spontaneously assemble the DNA particles producing more virii. OK enough Micro for the night."

The Herpes virus lays dorment in the Trigeminal nerve root ganglion. When triggered, the virus multiplies and spread along affected nerve fibers...typically those affecting the lip, gums or palate. It almost exclusively affects tissues that are covered with keratin. The virus particle IS recognized by your body as foreign during an acute flare up and your body does produce antibodies to the acute infection. Antibodies to the virus particle is different than antibodies attacking infected DNA. The DNA per se does not produce an immune response. The same base pairs are found in both the virus and your cells. Over 90 percent of Americans have antibodies to the Herpes Simplex virus. Not all will have cold sores.

It is also possible to get Herpes Simplex infection of the skin and eyes. So while we usually associate the virus with cold sores, other extra-oral areas can be infected.

In my practice, I prefer to reschedule a patient with fluid filled vesicles. Not only will I make the patient more uncomfortable, it is also possible to aerosolize the fluid and contaminate the treatment room and increase the chance that I or my assistant will become infected...EVEN USING RUBBER GLOVES, MASK AND EYEWEAR!

The Herpes virus does the same thing other DNA viruses do...it incorporates its genetic information with the information from the host cells. This incorporation of DNA IS NOT a mutation although mutations can also occur. The virus DNA directs the host's cells to produce more viral particles.

Virus ARE considered to be alive

Treatment is usually topical. Pencyclovir, Acyclovir capsules or cream may be applied. Valtrex can also be used. These antiviral agents should not be used for every infection. It is best saved for more serious or painful lesions. The virus is able to become resistant.

Persons who experience frequent infections may find that taking the supplement, L-lysine daily will reduce the frequency or recurrence. Others get some relief by consuming acidophillus containing milk, tablets or yogurt. Still other persons apply ice to the lesions.

Avoiding exposure to agents that cause recurrence can also help. So using sunscreen to protect the lip from sun damage indirectly helps protect you from a viral episode. Everybody is different and that is why you seem to associate recurrent infection with diving at a certain time of year.

Prevention is the best strategy. Disinfecting rental equipment is advisable. This is a great reason to own you own.

Finally, Type I and II Herpes are visually identical. Oral type herpes can be found affecting the sexual structures and venereal herpes can affect the mouth. When infected, it is best to avoid kissing, trading eating utensils, bath towels. etc. Infective viral particles are shed from the fluid in the blisters or vesicles, and around the scab of a healing sore.

One interesting treatment is to use a red laser pointer to illuminate the lesion as early as possible. Irradiate the area so that all areas recieve 30 seconds of red light. It will often stop the infection in it's tracks...never forming vesicles or scabs! This actually works best if used during the prodromal phase...before any obvious infection is seen. When you begin to feel the tingling sensation of a recurrence, irradiate the area. If you wait until there is a scab, then the laser will do little. I know this is hard to believe but I use it in my practice and most patients report the infection goes away without even breaking the skin. The color of the laser is important. I must be a RED laser pointer.

Regards,

Laurence Stein, DDS
:doctor:

Thank you Dr Stein! Wow, that's a lot of info, I am so going out and getting a red laser pointer.
Anyone else realize why we call them cold sores and not herpetic lesions?
Thanks again!

Wouldn't you rather tell people you had a cold sore or a fever blister rather than herpes????? I thought that one was obvious.

Good luck with your Herpes, Nay :wink:

Thanks for correcting me and clarifying the DNA connection. I was oversimplifying it and knew there was some connection to the nerve.

When people here the word herpes they automatically think genitile herpes and assume its a very bad thing and to not make contact with you. A hint of advise. As soon as you feel the tingling of the coldsore about to form on the lip, apply some of the new medications to it ASAP and it will lessen the outbreak. Also if it does form, leave it alone as much a possible and try not to pick at it. Mine form smack in the center of my lip and will crack in two while sleeping on the last week. I usually wake up not wanting to go outside. The last one I had, I noticed it forming and it responded well to the medications and that was a major breakthrough. I always keep medication on hand in the cabinet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom