Horrible sore on lip after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Ney, Ooooh, that rhymes!

Let me know how the laser works. It sounds so bizzare that it seems like quackery. I know it works though. Apply the light to the area for 30 seconds. If the sore area is larger than the light spot then make sure that all parts of the lesion receive 30 seconds. Generally once or twice a day is all that is required.

Maybe we can devise an ad hoc experiment if anyone tries the laser and reports back to me.

It seems that the red light stimulate mitochrondial activity and collagen production is speeded up.

Regards,

Larry Stein

yeah, that laser thing is wicked! I'm getting one of those crummy $7 ones and sticking it in my gear bag this week. I'll definitely test it out with my students this summer... one third are guaranteed to get cold sores.

Re all the issues below, none apply. I have a small US Divers Micra regulator, and it is very comfortable, nothing rubbing etc, so I think the good old herpes virus has got me under its spell

FredT:
Just to throw a curve here try and eliminate all other physical causes.

Is the reg pulling due to too short/long a regulator hose?
Is there a rough spot on either the mouthpiece?
Is the strap at the buckle on the zip tie retaining the mouthpiece trimmed FLUSH with no protruding or even slightly raised edges?

Any of these can cause a repeated location lip injury.

FT

Well, it has gone away, took a week. The interesting thing about it after reading all the advice and info here is that before my dive there is absolutely no sign of the sore - no tingling, redness etc, but immediately after the dive, within minutes, it is visible, and it progresses visibly by the hour. By the evening it is swollen, and weeping. By the next morning, less than 24 hours later, my lip and cheek had swollen, lip was covered in dried leakage, and I don't have a chance of even coming last in any handsome-scuba-diver-of-the-year award! I don't think stress is an issue, but it is towards the end of our summer and the water temperature is quite low. I also dive for crayfish so possibly brushing my lip against kelp could start the process?

Great forum too by the way, this is my first post and I'm amazed at the quality of responses. Good stuff.

Steve from NZ:
Well, it has gone away, took a week. The interesting thing about it after reading all the advice and info here is that before my dive there is absolutely no sign of the sore - no tingling, redness etc, but immediately after the dive, within minutes, it is visible, and it progresses visibly by the hour. By the evening it is swollen, and weeping. By the next morning, less than 24 hours later, my lip and cheek had swollen, lip was covered in dried leakage, and I don't have a chance of even coming last in any handsome-scuba-diver-of-the-year award!

I am prone to cold sores and can get them when exposed to sun and will get them when my lips are bumped. If you pack a small tube of acyclovir based ointment (Zovirax or generic brand over the counter in Oz) then you can always whack this on at the beginning of the tingling. This helps reduce the severity of the sore.

Don't use anything that doesn't have acyclovir as they just cover up the condition and it still comes out nasty.

I think I've got the picture now - from now on when I go boating and diving my lips will be sealed from the environment with liberal coats of chapsticks and sunblock .

I tried the red laser pointer on a cold sore this weekend and it worked great! It's hard to hold the laser still on the sore (my cat was trying to help) and I had to be careful not to stare at the laser in the mirror but my sore never got big and horrible!
thanks Dr.Stein!!!!!

And you guy thought that I was the the toothquack :crafty:

That's how it usually works. The only thing I don't know is if you use it and then dive again, reinjuring the area, will it still work as well.

Keep the reports coming in.

Larry Stein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom