hose length for bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to give an example

10 different lengths.

The inflator hose usually comes with the brand new BC.

You can just put the LP inflator …

…The inflator hose usually comes with the brand new BC.

Thanks for the replies, but please see post #9. I bumped this old thread and hijacked it. :) I am looking for a 3/8" UNF hose for "standard" compatibility with any generic rental BCs. Length, most standard, and best option.

I am looking for a 3/8" UNF hose for "standard" compatibility with any generic rental BCs. Length, most standard, and best option.
Not gonna happen. Too many different BCD styles in rental lines, and too much variability in the "best" hose length, because the corrugated hoses are not all the same., nor are the tank placements on the BCD. the usual solution is either (a) a long (28") inflator hose that bulges out on a shorter corrugated hose, or (b) take several inflator hoses (22,24,26,28) with you and choose the best one to put on your reg, or (C) use a 26" hose and live with it if it is too long or too short.

24" or 26" is the usual suspect for power inflator. I only use rubber hose.
Thanks. Would you go with 26” in this situation? @tursiop 's Option C?

And curious why rubber? Seems the prevailing opinion is the double braided pollyester ones are superior?

Thanks. Would you go with 26” in this situation? @tursiop 's Option C?

And curious why rubber? Seems the prevailing opinion is the double braided pollyester ones are superior?
1. Just be on the safe side.
2. I never ever had any problem with rubber hose and it is cheaper as well. Personal preference.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I had a question on this. I have the Oceanic Probe LX bcd (jacket style). At the beginning of a drift dive, I couldn't descend. So I was trying to get the inflator hose high as I could so I could get the trapped air out of my BCD. While doing this, the Velcro on the inflator hose retainer strap ripped (I was desperately trying to get the air out, as everybody else was descending and I didn't want to get left at the surface, didn't notice I was pulling so hard) releasing the inflator hose so I could hold it higher (now no u loop) releasing the trapped air then I descended. So my question is, most BCD's I see have this strap to hold the inflator hose in place. When I descend, should I take it out of the strap so I can hold it higher, thus getting all of the air out. Then strap it back down as I'm descending? I saw a video the other day and the descending diver had the inflator hose out of the retainer strap. Maybe I just needed a little more weight? My safety stop went fine with no air in BCD, so I'm assuming weight was correct. Hope this makes sense.
Try leaning slightly back, this will change the angle a bit and allow the retainer to remain in place and still have the hose present pointing to the surface is a straight line looking like a J with the bottom of the J being when it exits the BCE and the top of the J pointing no slack in the hose towards the surface or nearly so. Air gets trapped when the BCD hose looks like an S coming out of the BCD, sagging down so you can hold it at eye or ear (same difference) level. That way you don't have to divert your attention from what you are doing to try to secure the BCD hose under the Velcro strap which is located in a place you can't really see. so I would advise to avoid that.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I had a question on this. I have the Oceanic Probe LX bcd (jacket style). At the beginning of a drift dive, I couldn't descend. So I was trying to get the inflator hose high as I could so I could get the trapped air out of my BCD. While doing this, the Velcro on the inflator hose retainer strap ripped (I was desperately trying to get the air out, as everybody else was descending and I didn't want to get left at the surface, didn't notice I was pulling so hard) releasing the inflator hose so I could hold it higher (now no u loop) releasing the trapped air then I descended. So my question is, most BCD's I see have this strap to hold the inflator hose in place. When I descend, should I take it out of the strap so I can hold it higher, thus getting all of the air out. Then strap it back down as I'm descending? I saw a video the other day and the descending diver had the inflator hose out of the retainer strap. Maybe I just needed a little more weight? My safety stop went fine with no air in BCD, so I'm assuming weight was correct. Hope this makes sense.
My bad, I was actually referring to both. The oral inflator/dump hose and the power inflator hose. Mine reaches my mouth and not much else. I abhor the ones I see that hang down to almost the waist! Anything that is longer than what is needed for you to orally inflate or dump the air is too long.

Back
Top Bottom