Hose length ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stablgr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm about to order an Apeks XTX200 and want to get Miflex hoses for it at the same time. Can anyone tell me the length of the standard Apeks hose for the 2nd stage?

I'd hold off on ordering.

It does not matter what Apeks or anyone else uses as a standard lenght (although 22" and 24" are fairly common sizes and 20" and 26" are sometimes encountered ). What does matter is that when you are using the reg with your configuration the hose does not push the reg to the left (ie: the hose is too long) or pull the reg to the right (ie the hose is too short). This single factor accounts for more jaw fatigue than mouthpiece design, hose material or second stage weight combined.

Regardless of the replacement hose you buy, it makes sense to get a hose that is the right lenght for you rather than just copying the standard hose lenght. Get the reg use and and see if you would be better off with a hose 2" longer or 2" shorter.

If you just gotta have the hose when the reg arrives, buy three - 22", 24" and 26" and e-bay the two that are less than optimum.

30" strikes me as being a bit long for a primary given that the average octo hose is only36" long.

On the other hand, a 5' hose makes much more sense in real world donate the primary air shares for a recreational diver (6' if you have larger than average chest or shoulder dimensions, and 7' if you are technically inclined and/or use a BP/wing rather than a recreational BC.) In the cae of a long hose, the routing around the back of ytour neck does nto push or pull the hose excessively, and is even more comfortable with a 60 degree elbow or 360 degree swivel.

My obviously biased advice is to try a long hose before you decide to buy anything.

That is very biased advice! Hopefully it dosen't sound so odd to most divers in the near future.

I am presently taking a Naui Tech / Advanced Nitrox class and have completely rethought my whole gear configuration. Your back up reg should be as close to 22" as possible (it does need to reach your mouth!). You main reg should have between a 5' and 7' hose for gas sharing.

All in all you probably won't like the idea of using the long hose at first as it is kind of different if you have any dives under you. You will really see the benefit when you are in an out of air emergency though!

Thanks for the advice.

Whats the accepted routing for the primary and secondary 2nd stage hoses if using the long hose primary? I only dive singles and have recently moved from a traditional style jacket BC to a BPW (I never knew that adjusting my trim could be this easy).

If you're doing OW diving, I think the 5ft hose is a better idea than 7ft. The longer long hose is really designed to allow single file air sharing in tight overhead situations, and you just don't need it in OW, and the fit for 5ft hose is much better for most divers. (Shaquille O'neal excepted)

The five foot hose routes down from the first stage, under the right arm, across the front of the chest to the left side of the neck, behind the neck, and around the right side to your mouth. I don't have a photograph of that hose routing.

The 7' hose routes down from the first stage and is secured in some manner at the right hip, either by having a loop shoved down under the waist strap, by running under a pocket or knife, or by running under a light canister. It then comes up across the chest to the left neck, behind the neck and around the right side of the face to the mouth. HERE are pictures of that hose routing.

Thanks for the link TSandM. Looks like the secondary (backup) 2nd stage routes up over the right shoulder and is secured around the neck on a bungee type arrangement. I assume that this would be the same setup whether the primary was on a 5' or 7' hose.

I'd hold off on ordering.

30" strikes me as being a bit long for a primary given that the average octo hose is only36" long.

The standard size is 30 inches for the 2nd stage.

I am in the progress of designing a second stage hose retractor that will allow the diver to deploy and retract a 20ft. hose.....will make those 7 footers a thing of the past---DEMA here we come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom