Hose or wrist mounted computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've beat this back and forth over and over again, and I've basically decided the same thing. If I were to get a hoseless computer, I'd still keep the analog gauges. I just can't bring myself to trust the hoseless completely. It's sorta like a remote control for a TV, it's great to have, but you keep the buttons on the TV just in case. But I do like the freedom to just raise my arm and see everthing I need to know.

I have one of those new Loewe 34" progressive scan T.V.'s in my bedroom... I don't beleive it has any buttons. Buttons are so 90's LOL! Besides I'm one of those guys where I'd rather look for the remote for 10 minutes rather than walk upto the cable box and change a channel manually. Sad huh!

So you'd throw a shoe at it if you couldn't find the remote? LOL!!

Throw a shoe at what? There aren't any buttons! If I lost it, I'd just relocate one from somewhere else in the house. Every room plus the living room has digital cable boxes that use the same exact remote. Pretty convenient heh!

What do you do to change the channel? You guys have trained pigs and things? LOL!

Hey guys,
Just bought the new Sony (no baloney) Model VX 2100, with the voice recognition feature, all I have to do is talk to it. "Channel 213" it goes there, "Volume 5" it does it. "Pause it stops", Also has cross refrencing, "ESPN" it goes there, "Discovery Channel" it goes there. No remote, no buttons, just a 46" flat screen digital monitor. Can also plug my computer into it. Scuba Source on a 46" screen.
Really neat. Set me back a ton.

Don

[Edited by don on 01-13-2001 at 10:58 AM]

Don,
That definitely fits my motto "Go big, or go home!" Sounds like a nice choice, I'll have to check that out. The monitor feature is a good one to have. Mine has it too, but I haven't checked it out just yet. Have you?

The next T.V. I'll buy will have the Digital Motion feature. It's literally captivating. It digitally takes the primary character on the screen and bring it out toward you. I watched Jaws on it which looked insane! Gotta have one!

As for hose or wrist mount: Wrist mounted computers have gone through revision after revision, improvement after improvement and there is no reason why I can't trust one. A hoseless air integrated computer still functions as a computer when the thing craps out. Meaning you lose info like cylinder pressure, Dive time remaining, and Air consumption rate indicator but that doesn't affect your Deco time at all. Just abort the remainder of the dive and make a safe ascent to the surface.

Aladins Air Z O2 or the Datatrans Plus are great choices.

I looked at the Aladan's but just can't see myself not being able to replace the battery. My luck, I'd get 200 miles offshore on a liveaboard and the thing would go dead.

Also looked at the DataTrans Plus, and some Cochran models. I'd probably go with one of those two if I went hoseless. It's a hard decision to make.

Anyone know if Suunto has any plans to introduce a hoseless air intergrated computer based on the RGBM? That's one reason I'm waiting on DEMA.

Warhammer,
Good point on the lack of being able to replace batteries in the ScubaPro models in the field, but they don't just die on you. It gives you plenty of warning before it goes. Besides, I always bring extra equipement on special trips like that. The batteries are free to have replaced for life though... nice feature. The other nice thing about the Aladin Air Z O2 is that it can be used to work with SCR's (Semi Closed Rebreather) if you choose to go that route.

The DataTrans is another good choice. You can replace the batteries in the feild, and it's easier to read amongst the three above mentioned models.

I don't have anything positive to say about the third brand so I'll just bite my lip on this one. We'll see if DEMA brings new life to that company.

I'm gonna give the DataTrans Pro a hard look when i go to pick up the Cobra in a few weeks, who knows i might change my mind.

I'm not the expert but I am happy with my Aladin hoseless integrated. I borrowed a hose mounted console and tried it in the pool one time. Never could find the thing. Always behind me or wherever.

Not being able to change the battery doesn't seem like a big deal. It's supposed to last 8 years. Then they fix it for free. Mine is a year old and still shows 98% charge.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom