Hoseless Air integrated computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Oceanic VT3 and was wondering what others opinions are on using a hoseless air integrated computer? Some people from my local area are totally against it due to the possibility of loss of signal, battery death, etc. If you guys or gals have one do you use a redundant hosed depth and pressure gauge and if so why?

I'm using a VT3 going on three years now.

First of all, I really don't care what other divers think of my computer or of my gears. It's mine and I'll use it or not use it as I see fit.

Secondly, I don't use a backup gauge either. If the thing were to die on me during a dive, I'd simply terminate the dive and surface. I'm doing recreational diving and not exploring the Titanic.

I have both an Atom 2.0 and a VT Pro when diving locally I use a single computer and no SPG. When on a dive vacation I use both computers with a single transmitter and keep a console in my reg bag. I also keep extra batteries for both computers and transmitter in my save a dive kit along with a spare transmitter. I've never needed to use the console or spare transmitter but have done a predive battery replacement.

As For sync issues...
It is not a necessity for a computer to be locked into sync 100% of the time during a dive. Do you watch an SPG 100% of the time you are submerged? What is important is that is provides you with enough valid info for you to maintain safety during your dive. These AI wireless computers still function like any other computer while not in sync with their transmitters. They monitor your depth and provide you info on your nitrogen load. The transmitter is used only to monitor bottle pressure. From the pressure readings the computer can predict dive time remaining. Just as we would need to more closely monitor the bottle pressure during a deeper dive using a SPG when using a AI computer sync becomes more critical during deeper dives because we tend to consume at a higher rate and need more frequently updated info. For this reason the point at which we would need to abort the dive because of a sync issue becomes more critical at depth. So if I were at 100'+ and lost sync and last noticed only 1500 psi I would tend to start heading to the surface. If sync returned during that time I could continue my dive if not I would do a conservative acsent with safety stop and after surfacing deal with the problem. If I were doing a more shallow dive of say 40' having last notice the same pressure of 1500 psi I may allow a considerable longer period of time to see if I regain sync before starting ascent.
Having stated that I have never lost sync for more than a few seconds without regaining it. I have experienced multiple short sync losses during a dive but I still do not consider this a failure. It's more about how fast the computer regains sync and updates than the loss of sync. The divers that don't understand this are probably better off diving tables with a console and dive watch because without understanding the technology and how it works it just causes them anxieties which tend to ruin a dive. You are best off diving equipment that you understand and can rely on and not second guess. As fnfalman stated I don't care what other divers think. Most of them don't have my background and education to enable them to completely and properly evaluate gear choices that are correct for my divng profiles.

I'm also using a VT3 in the DSS Bungee Mount and an SPG clipped off. Only been about 6months now with the VT3 but love it for all of my dives thus far.

I would like to add that I do have an SPG (a pretty one that shows both PSI and Bar from OMS). It sits in my dive bag as part of my save-a-dive kit. If my computer were to funk out, then I'd terminate that dive. For the next dive, I'll slap in the SPG, slap on my spare depth gauge and the dive watch (which I always wear - my one sole piece of redundancy), and keep on diving.

I'm also using a VT3 in the DSS Bungee Mount and an SPG clipped off. Only been about 6months now with the VT3 but love it for all of my dives thus far.

I forgot to mention.. My gf has her VT3 in a DSS bungee mount as well, and it's much better than the OEM strap! I wish I could bungee my Luna!

Having an analog pressure gauge and performing that test. Simple.

I have never found an Air Integrated Hoseless that will give me the instant response needed for testing of both of the dangerous scenarios. It is due to anomalies of the sampling rates.

Doc, I love ya man, I really do. I totally respect you as a diver but man, I just can't get behind this as a reason to avoid an air-integrated computer. It strikes me as yet another fear-driven response that just isn't born out in fact.

True enough, an analog SPG is a good way to know if your air is all the way off and back on 1/2 a turn instead of the reverse. I used to use that technique when I dove with a SPG. Now I do a buddy check. One is just as good as the other and the change in gear dictated a change in procedure. Simple as that.

By the way, I just did a test with my Oceanic VT-3 with the tank only on 1/2 turn. With three good breaths, the pressure dropped on the gauge and came back up. No, there's no needle but the test and results are the same.

-Charles

Reactions: Doc
I own the Aeris Elite3. And have owned the VT3. Basically the same CP. When diving OW with my DIR gear set I add the transmitter to the first stage. Leave the SPG/Depth console in place not so much as a back-up. Rather it is a part of my "usual" diving type gear set for Cavern and Wreck. See no need to take off the SPG. Have no complaints about its performance in over 150 OW dives and there is a battery indicator that will show before it ever shuts down. (On both models) Never should it shut down due to battery during a dive. It may lock-up and not allow a dive if the battery indicator is showing to prevent use on a low battery.

IMO using a transmitter for overhead or wreck is taking it beyond its safe use. Even a slight chance of knocking off a transmitter is an issue I would rather not have to deal with while inside a Wreck or under a Cavern. Same goes for an Air2. They have their place in OW. Thanks and Safe Diving..

I love my Aeris Elite hoseless wrist mount. One thing to be careful of is to make sure nobody tries to pick up your rig by the transmitter. I have seen it in Cozumel when on a very small boat and the DM's insisted on changing gear out due to space issues and conditions. It's not likely but it can and has happened and isn't pretty or cheap.

I bring the glass and brass on big trips; on weekend trips I'll leave it. I've never noticed a signal loss with my Suunto D9. Battery issues shouldn't come as a surprise (unless you have an Uwatec).

Even **WITH** a Uwatec (Galileo Luna) I've had zero battery issues.

Suunto Vyper Air over two years old now and a stalwart, rock solid performer.

I have recently added a brass and glass spg to my rig but only because I am starting training towards technical diving and it is good as a backup. An electronic pressure gauge is much better choice than a mechanical one. Solid state electronics do not wear out or degrade over time like mechanical ones always do. If your solid state electronics for anything work on day one they will continue to do so.

I also really like the fact with air intergration I get an estimate on my remianing dive time based on consumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom