Hoseless dive computer questions from the new guy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive an AI computer (not hoseless) - If my computer ever died on a dive... I would abort the dive. It's not that complex. Hoseless or with a hose... I see no reason for a backup SPG - IFF (that means If and only if) you are diving in open water with a visible surface, and easy way to safely abort your dive.

Besides... we're all going to die anyway. :wink:

ArcticDiver:
How critical is knowing you breathing gas level to your diving?

If it is critical, as it is for most divers, then having a backup SPG is required.

I don't know, as others have pointed out, if the air computer fails you end the dive - you don't need a backup.

My real concern with these things is that there is so much more to go wrong than with a standard SPG. When worn HOG style the SPG is out of the way and not a problem anyway - why use anything else?

howarde:
I see no reason for a backup SPG - IFF (that means If and only if) you are diving in open water with a visible surface, and easy way to safely abort your dive.
Again, even with cave/wreck diving setups you don't take a backup SPG because you abort the dive if it fails. This means you get to the surface as fast as possible and if you don't have sufficient air to do this the broken SPG is the least of your problems.

In fact given the lack of necessity for a backup SPG the real question is, should you ever have one given that you're just adding possible failure points for no real benefit.

BarryNL:
My real concern with these things is that there is so much more to go wrong than with a standard SPG.

For example? More specific!

hoosier:
For example? More specific!
Erm, it's a computer - how many examples do you need?

Any component failure, leak or drained battery in either the sender or computer will knock out your ability to see your gas supply.

As the DSAT Tec manual puts it "if you haven't seen a computer fail you haven't been diving long enough".

How is an analog SPG a computer?

An analog SPG can be purchased for about $40-60 so - if one feels the need for a backup... it's not an expensive option, if one should need it for peace of mind.

I know a lot of people who haven't seen computers fail... maybe the computers are getting better.

BarryNL:
Erm, it's a computer - how many examples do you need?

Any component failure, leak or drained battery in either the sender or computer will knock out your ability to see your gas supply.

As the DSAT Tec manual puts it "if you haven't seen a computer fail you haven't been diving long enough".

Oh~~ come on... We are taking about a hoseless option here, not computer in itself.
Only report that I heard is a signal fade for 3~4 seconds, but normal signal interval on most computer is 10 seconds.

In your logic, anything can be failed. My dry suit can be failed, but we can't wear the back up suit. We are talking about the degree.

It is the most common debate about Air 2 and hoseless option. I believe that ScubaPro and other major companies are smart enough to know what they are doing.
Otherwise, it isn't a big suprise to see any law suits, particularly in U.S. Have you ever heard any case? Again, it is ok in a rec. diving range.

Warren:
In my great experience of 1 pool dive... :wink: ... I can already see how nice it would be to get rid of the SPG hose and unit.

I am curious though as to whether or not you can, by just adding a wireless system like the Aeris Atmos Elite, or if you should still have at least an analog pressure gauge as well?

What are folks doing out there? :popcorn:
Good to start thinking about these things, but as you finish your cert and do more research you may change your mind 10 times about what you think is good, so don't rush to make up your mind.

I think a backup analog SPG is a good idea with wireless. But then, I think a backup computer is a good idea as well, at least for me. As most will say, these backups aren't required for rec diving and you can just bag the dive if something fails. But it all depends on your diving. If I were just doing a dive or two locally that I could just try again next weekend, I wouldn't mind bagging a dive too much, stuff happens. But as I am usually diving on a trip 3-5 dives/day over many days, and I can't just do it again next weekend, having backups is well worth it to me.

(You haven't asked about backup computers yet, but many will say just use tables as backup to a computer. Sometimes this may work ok, especially in the case of a few local dives it might be sufficient. But if you are in a situation where you are really taking advantage of the extra time the computer will give you on multiple multilevel dives, then the tables aren't going to do you any good as you'll be off them.)

hoosier:
In your logic, anything can be failed. My dry suit can be failed, but we can't wear the back up suit. We are talking about the degree.

We can't i wear a wetsuit under my dry suit for double redundancy . . .:D :D

hoosier:
In your logic, anything can be failed. My dry suit can be failed, but we can't wear the back up suit.
Of course, it's partly about the practicality of backing something up. Yeah, you can't wear a backup suit. But certain things are pretty easy to back up with little or no downside, so if it makes sense for your situation why not.

Question for y'all regarding backup SPG's.

My first stage has only one high pressure port (and I have no idea how common that is) -- how do you install a backup SPG with only one such port?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom