Hoseless dive computer questions from the new guy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy:
Question for y'all regarding backup SPG's.

My first stage has only one high pressure port (and I have no idea how common that is) -- how do you install a backup SPG with only one such port?

you sure??

What kinda reg you got over there?

Peter Guy:
Question for y'all regarding backup SPG's.

My first stage has only one high pressure port (and I have no idea how common that is) -- how do you install a backup SPG with only one such port?

Welcome to the club of hasty decision making divers !!!:wink:

I did the identical thing. AFTER I bought my hoseless AI computer I realised that my 1st stage had only one high pressure port - so back to the dive shop to get one with two HP ports so that I could have the redundant SPG.
And now I have decided that I don't need the redundant SPG so I needn'y have bought the 1st stage in the first place......................
And so it goes on and on.
Anyway I have two first stages now and maybe it is for the better considering my plans for diving in the future - tech, DIR, doubles etc.

jhbryaniv:
you sure??

What kinda reg you got over there??

Jhbryaniv, many first stages come with only one HP Port. My first one for instance was a Scubapro Mk II and it has only one HP Port.

well than news to me . . .

In that case get a adapter thingy :wink:

That way you'll have redundancy . . . even though you will have another failure point at least you will have to gauges . . .

jhbryaniv:
We can't i wear a wetsuit under my dry suit for double redundancy . . .:D :D

:D :D :D Actually, I tried to wear the wetsuit under the dry suit once... LOL~~~

Damselfish:
Of course, it's partly about the practicality of backing something up. Yeah, you can't wear a backup suit. But certain things are pretty easy to back up with little or no downside, so if it makes sense for your situation why not.

Yes. you are right. But, think about why people wants to have an Air 2 and hoseless option. Like I said, it is personal preference without any danger in a rec. diving range.

IMO with you being a new diver and all stick with the analog gauges and tables until you know them inside out...then spend the big bucks on the hoseless.

Damselfish:
Of course, it's partly about the practicality of backing something up. Yeah, you can't wear a backup suit. But certain things are pretty easy to back up with little or no downside, so if it makes sense for your situation why not.
Because, in the case of SPGs it doesn't give you any extra safety and it does add extra failure points. There is no need for a backup SPG!

BarryNL:
Because, in the case of SPGs it doesn't give you any extra safety and it does add extra failure points. There is no need for a backup SPG!

Remember this question was asked in the context of using a air integrated computer as a practical matter. Earlier response was in this context. There is no, or negligible, impact on safety. since on failure the diver can abort and return to the surface, especially in the open water environment this diver will be experiencing.

Divers travel a lot. So, if this diver is traveling and the computer dies his vacation is pretty messed up unless he can find a replacement SPG somewhere; especially if on a liveaboard at sea. But, if he has a backup SPG life goes on with maybe only a brief SI to get back on printed tables.

Lot's of great feedback here; much appreciated.

I'm still leaning towards going hoseless (well, down to 2 hoses at least; also looking at the AIR 2 to lose the Octo hose). Maybe I'll pickup a used SPG just in case is I travel; otherwise no big deal if I have to call a local dive.

Warren:
Lot's of great feedback here; much appreciated.

I'm still leaning towards going hoseless (well, down to 2 hoses at least; also looking at the AIR 2 to lose the Octo hose). Maybe I'll pickup a used SPG just in case is I travel; otherwise no big deal if I have to call a local dive.

Lots posted about using the AIR2, or similar. I've tried it and don't like it because it restricts my head movement too much. So, I went the bungee'd octopus route with my primary and secondary regulators being indentical.

My suggestion is to try before you buy. Borrow one. Take it to depth. Change over your breathing to it just as if you had given your primary regulator to a needy diver. Then make your ascent, safety stop and anything else involved in returning to the surface on the Air2. Answer the questions for yourself: >Were you comfortable during the entire evolution? >Was head movement adequate to handle any forseen, or unforseen additional problem? >Could you handle using it and a stressed diver using the Aiir2? >Was it easy enough breathing not to add to your stress in an emergency situatiion?

Well you get the idea. Most of the divers I personally know who use the Air2, or Octopus' for that matter, have never tested them in actual dive conditions. They could be in for an unfortunate surprise if they have to use them in a real emergency.

Another point on the Air2 -- If you get one, put a longer hose on your primary regulator. Doing an air-share with a 24" hose means you're almost eye-to-eye with the other diver. It's very uncomfortable. A donated regulator should be on at least a 36" or 40" hose. And then, of course, you have to route the hose so you don't end up with a huge loop waving around behind you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom