Hot flashes underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how long did you wait to return to diving after hysterectomy? my doc has me scheduled for next month and my hubby wants me to spend a week in Grand Cayman with him during my recup period and he thinks I can dive....my doc is not a diver and she won't be back in town for 2 weeks....he is eager to plan vacation. he is also having C4-C7 fused a week before my surgery, and his doc says he can fly at 4 weeks and diving would be good for him....I've had several major surgeries and know my limits; this is his first

how long did you wait to return to diving after hysterectomy? my doc has me scheduled for next month and my hubby wants me to spend a week in Grand Cayman with him during my recup period and he thinks I can dive....my doc is not a diver and she won't be back in town for 2 weeks....he is eager to plan vacation. he is also having C4-C7 fused a week before my surgery, and his doc says he can fly at 4 weeks and diving would be good for him....I've had several major surgeries and know my limits; this is his first

I would suggest contacting DAN Medical http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/or ScubaDoc Scubadoc's Diving Medicine (Dr. Ern Campbell) for information on this. At the minimum you should be able to find a local dive physician through these sources to advise you.

Meanwhile, as to the original thread topic, I've never had a hotflash u/w, but have experienced plenty above! :coolingoff:

Bonne chance,

As a cold water diver..and someone who is just entering these uncharted waters of womanhood...I'm excited to find the up side of a hot flash...wish there was a way to get them to turn on by request and last longer (like the length of a dive)
LOL - I agree! Would be perfect for us cold water divers.

Said to me by a lady friend about hot flashes ...... "I prefer to think of them as power surges" :wink:

A narc test is some simple problem done at the surface and then done again at depth (100ft or so) to show you the difference in your ability to function under the effects of narcoses

I'm fond of "personal tropical holiday".
I much prefer to have them uw. The water whisks away the sweat, and nobody sees it!

I get them frequently topside but have never had one underwater. In Lake Michigan it would be welcome!

I have passed the days of hot flashes (Yahoooooooo!!!!!), but I did have them occasionally underwater. I would simply let the water in through my neck and arm seals and feel a LOT better:)
The only concern I would have is to be sure to not get tunnel vision about it when it occurs. You always want to maintain awareness of your circumstances while diving.

CO2 build up can also cause a feeling being very overly warm all of a sudden, more so if you are in 70 degree water than 48 degree water. Multiple rebreather divers have mentioned this sensation when working too hard on their 'breathers.

If you are skeptical, try swimming hard at 100' (without helium) in moderately waters 60-70 degrees. the combo of narcosis and CO2 will make your head spin and feel so warm you want to flood your drysuit just a little to cool off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom