Hot Hole Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevis Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from Cozumel and the mountains of NC (Boone) are way too cold ! I usually dive at South Holston Dam in Bristol, TN but heard about the Hot hole at Jocassee. I grew up in Greenville (Go Patriots) but live up in the mountains now.

Are there folks out at the hot hole every week end? I would like to dive it and am looking for someone to buddy up with. AOWC, Nitox, working on rescue and MSD.

Chris
828-387-6900

Bermuda Triangle in Greenville takes their pontoon to the Hot Hole most weekends. Call Reese at (864) 286-3483 to see if there is room and reserve a spot. All you need is a $10.00 gas donation. Their next trip is Jan. 7th. Come on out and hope to see you there.

Is a 3 mm okay? I use one with no hood or gloves as long as it is above 73 degrees otherwise its my 7 mmwith hood.

Chris

Nevis Diver:
Is a 3 mm okay? I use one with no hood or gloves as long as it is above 73 degrees otherwise its my 7 mmwith hood.

Chris
Wear your 7mm with or without hood. You may be a little warm in the warm spots, but when you hit a cold spot, you'll be glad you wore it. And gloves if you have them, depending on your tolerance to cold.

You're welcome. See you at the Hot Hole. Maybe you can tell me about South Holston Dam. Always looking for new dive sites.

Tom

South Holston Dam is a bit cold in the winer (45-55 degrees) but nothing a 7 mm or thick farmer john can't handle. There are really two sites theere, the dam and the adjoining cove. The dam is the 2nd largest earthen dam in the world with step down levels of about 21' each. There is a Navy diver plaque and a boat at the dam along with "Mr. Bones" at 80-100' depending on the water level. Mr. Bones is quite the site with folks adding things to it over time.

the second site is a cove on the south end of the dam with three wrecks and some fish. It is the prefereable dive for those of us that dive it a lot. The sites are a 60 second drive form eadch other so you can do them both. In the summer the temps range from 70-75 near the surface to 55 or so at depth. Vis ranges from 2-3' to 10-15' at varrying depths depending on the season and therefore the algae bloom. Very easy access and there are divers there most week ends so security isn't too much of an issue.

In the spring, summer and fall I am there most week ends. the dive shop is only 5 minutes away. It is about a 20-25 minute drive from Johnson City so gauge it from there.

It ain't Cozumel but its a good place to practice.

Chris

Have you ever dove Jocassee? The temps and vis in the summer sound about the same. I'm there most weekends in the summer along with a buddy of mine from Weaverville.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom