Hotel and dive shop recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input. I am waiting for my travel agent to get back to me and should make a decision next week!

jlevine, thanks for that link. I hadn't thought to check Trip Advisor for gluten free. Looks like my wife will be well fed on this trip.

If you select the Palms, I recommend Island Divers as the op. If you are further north but still in town, I recommend Chuck and Robbie's.

Blue Tang is a cute boutique hotel and if you get the right room, you'll be very happy there. This was the place I used to stay before I began staying where i stay now. The pool at Blue Tang is really more of a dipping pool.

Paradise Villas is a much larger property with two story units (unit up and another unit down). The complex is set out in a U shape with lovely grounds and an adequate pool. It's in a good location.

Stay on Caye Caulker instead if only to have the privilege of diving with Belize Diving Services! :) (they offer veggie/special diet meals and lots of options for the same on the island...I am a veg myself).

The Sunbreeze Hotel is located next to the airport on the south end of "downtown." You could walk there in one minute from baggage claim. I've seen the rooms and they look comfortable. They are more like standard hotel rooms as the name implies. Sunbreeze Suites is more in the center of town. I haven't stayed in either. If I were to stay in one, I would pick the Sunbreeze Hotel. While the units at Sunbreeze Suites look nice, I just don't like the location. It can be a bit noisier there at night. But, if you want to be more "in the heart" of town, you may like it. Personally, I prefer the north end of town (Blue Tang Inn or Paradise Villas) where I'm close to everything but generally quieter. But, that's just me.

We started booking Huracan Divers near Lighthouse Atoll. Small place and personal service, but not sure it's the location you want.

The Sunbreeze Hotel is located next to the airport on the south end of "downtown." You could walk there in one minute from baggage claim. I've seen the rooms and they look comfortable. They are more like standard hotel rooms as the name implies. Sunbreeze Suites is more in the center of town. I haven't stayed in either. If I were to stay in one, I would pick the Sunbreeze Hotel. While the units at Sunbreeze Suites look nice, I just don't like the location. It can be a bit noisier there at night. But, if you want to be more "in the heart" of town, you may like it. Personally, I prefer the north end of town (Blue Tang Inn or Paradise Villas) where I'm close to everything but generally quieter. But, that's just me.

Similar feelings, although I've only stayed at the Sunbreeze hotel (we did walk by the Suites and saw them from the water). The Suites are definitely close to the center of San Pedro.

We've stayed at Akumal Beach Resort (loved it) and also at two of the locations on Ambergris that you are looking at -- The Palms and Sunbreeze Hotel. I would definitely choose the Palms over Sunbreeze. We've stayed there twice and loved it. I thought the location was perfect. We wanted to stay there again for our upcoming trip in March, but the prices were more than we wanted to pay during high season. We are staying at Coral Bay Villas this time around ... it is a little further from town, but looks close enough to not be an issue. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Thanks for all the input folks. Sadly, we were not able to line up our schedules to do Belize this year. So instead, we are doing 9 nights in Nassau!

Ambergris Caye is a long narrow island that runs North and South. The Barrier Reef runs parallel to the island on its East side, so that’s where we dive. Almost all the development, Hotels, Resorts, Restaurants, bars, Dive Shop etc. are lined up along the East shore. The West Side of the island is mangrove and shallow lagoon.
The international airport is on the mainland of Belize in a town called Ladyville. After you land you will need transportation to the island. It’s easy to catch one of the small aircraft to the island from international and they leave every hour. You will land at the airstrip which is in the town of San Pedro on the South end of Ambergris Caye. If you came by boat you most likely dock in San Pedro as well.
Cabs are cheap and easy to use for short distances around the town core where streets are paved.
Tourist and residents travel up and down the island along its East shore either by The Costal Express water taxi or by golf cart. The island is packed with condo and resort choices you can shop at Belize Lodging Guide, Resorts, Hotels, Accommodations, Reservations Almost every place to stay is listed there from Hostel to high end resort.
The islands busy town (San Pedro) is on the South half and the island and the North part is less densely populated with more pristine dive sites. Dive shops, resorts and some restaurants have boats that pick up and drop off guest for their variety of activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom