Hotel Cozumel and pier?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Damn, that's a huge turn off. I've seen it crowded before the storm so I can imagine how it is now. What would you estimate the crowd at? I saw it with about 75 - 85 divers.

So, what's your hurry? I've been on a Coz dock with a lot of other divers waiting to go out, and there's always folks to meet and stuff to talk about. The dive ops are pretty efficient at manuvering boats and cooperating to handle people and gear, too, so it's never been much of a wait in any case. Island time, man....

Christi:
Others are not using the pier...

The only people using the pier are Dive Paradise as always and operations picking up divers staying there, just as before. No outside guests are using the pier unless diving with Dive Paradise. It's always been a busy pier.

As usual, thanks for some accuracy Christi. In the attempt for accuracy let me revise my number to 60 to 70, it only felt like 75 to 80 :)

dartref:
I was there Saturday-Wednesday and I'm telling you the pier was used by others. I didn't go through Dive Paradise, but I was staying at Hotel Cozumel and we were picked up every morning at that pier. The last day, at one point, there was one boat on each side of the pier and six boats waiting to get there.

As for the total number of divers, I would say there were maybe 50-60 at the peak so maybe its not any worse than what you've experienced before.

50 to 60 can feel like a hundred. Wonder where those divers were staying?

dartref:
I was there Saturday-Wednesday and I'm telling you the pier was used by others. I didn't go through Dive Paradise, but I was staying at Hotel Cozumel and we were picked up every morning at that pier. The last day, at one point, there was one boat on each side of the pier and six boats waiting to get there.

As for the total number of divers, I would say there were maybe 50-60 at the peak so maybe its not any worse than what you've experienced before.

Yes, other dive ops are picking up there with no problem, just like before...but only the people that are Hotel Cozumel guests.

In otherwords, someone cannot come from another hotel or rental villa and get picked up by their dive op of choice there. They could have been lax about it last week because it was the first week the pier was operating again, but it will not last long if that's going on, I promise. They put a halt to outside hotel guests using the pier before Wilma. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm tlaking about here considering that I operate a dive op here and have spoken directly with hotel management about this very issue.

ggunn:
So, what's your hurry? I've been on a Coz dock with a lot of other divers waiting to go out, and there's always folks to meet and stuff to talk about. The dive ops are pretty efficient at manuvering boats and cooperating to handle people and gear, too, so it's never been much of a wait in any case. Island time, man....

you're right of course, unless your the last diver to be picked up and your boat is late. Waited there from 8:30 to 9:20 one morning- dive p cattle boat

pilot fish:
you're right of course, unless your the last diver to be picked up and your boat is late. Waited there from 8:30 to 9:20 one morning- dive p cattle boat

Yeh, but that doesn't have to do with the crowds...at 9:20 there are no other boats at the pier...if the boat is late it's late...what's the crowd at the pier in the morning have to do with anything?

I dove with Deep Blue and was picked up at the "dock" every morning while staying at Hotel Cozumel. During my most recent trip I stayed at Scuba Club next door and couldn't quite see the current condition of Hotel Cozumel's beachside open air restaurant. Curious as well about the state of the lockers and rinse area there. I'm sure they worked hard to get the area repaired.
I agree with the comment about "crowds" waiting for the boats. Plenty of room there to relax and talk about diving while you wait for your boat.
Rex

Christi:
Yeh, but that doesn't have to do with the crowds...at 9:20 there are no other boats at the pier...if the boat is late it's late...what's the crowd at the pier in the morning have to do with anything?

What did the crowds have to do with it? Many boats lined up waiting to get into the dock and the late boat being at the end of the line. 9:20 is when we got on but I can't recall what time the boat showed up and had to wait to pull in.

pilot fish:
What did the crowds have to do with it? Many boats lined up waiting to get into the dock and the late boat being at the end of the line. 9:20 is when we got on but I can't recall what time the boat showed up and had to wait to pull in.

Well I can guarantee you that boat did not wait in line from 8:30 to 9:20

Christi:
Well I can guarantee you that boat did not wait in line from 8:30 to 9:20

yes, I would doubt that too but because of the crowds it was unable to just pull right in when it DID finally get there. That's why the crowded dock was a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom