Hotel Prices in Key Largo Doubled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see an increase but to double the rates is sort of asinine to me. That is more like gouging. This is what makes the liveaboards more enticing. Flight only, no rental car or hotel or food expense.

I thought the hotel prices were EXTREMELY high also. Sort of a highway robbery type arrangement. I suppose many tourists drive to the Keys and THEN look for a hotel. I am SURE many are shocked at the prices but they cough up the money because they are NOT going to drive WAY back to Miami. It is obvious to me how it works.

Last edited:
I can see an increase but to double the rates is sort of asinine to me. That is more like gouging. This is what makes the liveaboards more enticing. Flight only, no rental car or hotel or food expense.

Again: supply and demand, a lot of people want to be in the Keys during this time of year. If there was a greater supply of hotel rooms (or fewer people traveled to the Keys) so that supply exceeded demand, prices would not go up or at least not by as much. I work in the financial services industry and deal with hotels. I can tell you that most of the hotel operators are not making a killing or stinking large profit. Without the higher prices during peak times, many simply would not make it. Jupiter31 thoughts are spot on.

I do agree about the live aboard costs, at least with some of the low cost operators, compared to hotel/car rental/scuba boat/food costs. I love diving in Key Largo, but I am giving some thought to doing a Blackbeard cruise in the Bahamas some time this summer. Only $1000 for a week of diving and you can get a cheap flight out of Miami.

Enjoy your trip to the Keys: Conch Rep. is a great operator. That is very cool that they found an apartment for you: sometimes renting an apt or a condo can be a great value over a hotel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom