Housing Care Between Dive Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anything labelled as "food safe" shouldn't leach any chemicals.

O-rings are usually slightly stretched in a camera housing. By storing the o-ring in a baggie, it should retain its elasticity. Lube the o-ring as per usual to prevent it from drying out.

A desiccant pouch in the housing should remove any moisture trapped in the air from affecting springs. Put the baggie containing the o-ring inside the housing to prevent it disappearing to the land of left socks.

Cool, dark storage.

I think the major national brands of zip bags (ziploc and glad) should be fine. I would avoid the real cheap ones from say K-mart/Walmart etc that are made in China since food grade there might mean anything (melamine in your powdered milk for example). I am probably making too big a deal of all this but my day job is making medical stuff and the storage bags we use are terribly important. If you saw my housing you would know that I am not terrible anal about it but I do try to store it carefully.
Bill

Does soap and water remove silicone

silicone is very hard to remove despite all efforts however there is no point in actually removing as it helps keeping your oring flexible and avoiding cracks
The soap and water are there to remove other type of possible residue
The reason to put the oring in the bad is also to avoid the silicon to propagate elsewhere
Housing should be left closed without orings with silica gel packs otherwise ants or other insect may decide to make it their home

Thanks for this great guidance! One more question: Would you do the same for the strobe-head O-ring - remove it and place it in a plastic Baggie? Or would you leave that as is?

I remove the batteries. make sure everything is dry. Store the case (closed) in it's camera bag in a dry environment (it's in my apartment).
Some advocate removing the o-rings and keeping them in a plastic bag. I asked the shop where I got my gear and they said it was not necessary.

I've noticed that some small zip lock bags disintegrate after a while from contact with various silicone O-ring greases

Yes, indeed, and that should tell you something about how putting the wrong grease on the o-ring might work.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom