How about Lake Mead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Ranger is missing. They thing someone moved it, but it took 11,000 lbs of lift last time so someone should know about it. Thats bad when you steal a sunken boat. We are gutting another house boat getting it ready to sink. This one is large enough to allow penetration.

Info is a bit dated. But I was there last August.

No one, including the dive shops mentioned, would take me out, point me where I could arrange for a buddy, or do anythng else to help me dive during the week. All said they were geared for weekends only. One said a person couldn't dive Lake Mead without "permission from the Feds".

One shop asked who I was certified with. When I answered TDI the owner said they didn't recognize that agency and wouldn't even rent me equipment.

So, seems if you are set on diving Lake Mead you need to make a local, contact separate from the shops and press on.

I know what you mean. I learned to dive in the midwest and was certified by MDA (midwest divers association) and untill I got started with PADI I had a lot of problems but TDI is a well known agency. I'm supprised they gave you a hard time. Next time you are in the area, let me know and I'll take you out.

Lake Mead Tony:
I know what you mean. I learned to dive in the midwest and was certified by MDA (midwest divers association) and untill I got started with PADI I had a lot of problems but TDI is a well known agency. I'm supprised they gave you a hard time. Next time you are in the area, let me know and I'll take you out.

Thanks.

Lake Mead Tony:
The Ranger is missing. They thing someone moved it, but it took 11,000 lbs of lift last time so someone should know about it. Thats bad when you steal a sunken boat. We are gutting another house boat getting it ready to sink. This one is large enough to allow penetration.

I think I know which one you're talking about - the one behind Great Divin in Boulder City? That thing was sitting behind the shop over a year ago! I thought it'd be in the water by now.

Arctic,

Who turned you down with a TDI cert? That's absurd. The fed part is not right. You just can't dive near the B-29 without permission. The rest of the lake is fair game. As for the dive boats - even the weekends are hit or miss, mostly miss. I've checked with the shops. I don't think there's enough interest in the area for them to charter a boat every weekend. I still haven't dived Mead off a boat because of that. Although I will be contacting Tony for my next trip.

Lake Mead Tony:
Steve,
Some of our best diving is in Dec. Jan. and Feb when vis can be as much as 100 ft. Did you go out to the sail boat, about 55 ft down last time I was there? I am from St. Louis and spent a lot of down time in Northfork, Mine Lamont and Greers Ferry.

Hey there,

No, we didn't see the sail boat, I think we only went about 1/2 way out in the park. We had a good time though.
Speaking of Northfork, we have not dove there but have dove Bull Shoals a few times. I'd like to dive Mine Lamont, but I've heard a lot of negitive stuff about it. (Major party hangout). And I have not heard of Greers Ferry. Is it a spring?

Steve

Dive-aholic:
Arctic,...Who turned you down with a TDI cert? That's absurd. The fed part is not right. You just can't dive near the B-29 without permission. The rest of the lake is fair game. As for the dive boats - even the weekends are hit or miss, mostly miss. I've checked with the shops. I don't think there's enough interest in the area for them to charter a boat every weekend. I still haven't dived Mead off a boat because of that. Although I will be contacting Tony for my next trip.

Don't want to stir the pot more than has been done. But it was a shop that has been mentioned in this thread.

Like most divers I suppose; I have certifications from several different agencies. I just happened to mention TDI that time because that was the card I had with me.

Gee, if there isn't any more interest than that how do they stay in business?

I think it's more of a write off. Most of the shops in the area are like any other in landlocked states. They mark up gear and focus on the exotic trips. To them, local diving doesn't exist. It's pretty sad.

Well I dont have time to get on a rant over business practices and customer service. BUT, I can mention the lake and Lake Mead Tony. As far as the offers from Tony, look into hooking up with him. Great guy, nice pontoon, seasoned, knows the lake, and best of all just a little off kilter. I met Tony on this board and jumped at the offer to dive off his boat. Just the other weekend we hit dives of 100+ with great vis (30-50 depending on which site we were at) and cold at depth (just over 50 degrees). Saturday we saw plenty of BIG fish (2+ ft long).

Hey Tony some time in about 3 weeks Joel and I are game for another day of diving.

Back
Top Bottom