How are you at Navigation?

How are you at Navigation?

• I have the technical compass skills and have no issues navigating.

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • I pretty much know where I am but use a compass for validation.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I rarely use a compass, I just somehow know where I am.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I can navigate but I'm not real comfortable doing it.

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • I can't find my way, even if I had an GPS built into my mask.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don't have any idea where I am until I surface.

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was blessed to learn navigation from a very good Sergeant First Class while enlisted in the Army, then while going through Officer Candidate School a retired special forces colonel came out and volunteered a lot of his time to help. I also spent several years living in the field to practice it. This is key. Without practice, acquired skills will fade quickly.

The first one got me used to looking at the topography (under water would be "Bottom-o-graphy"? ) The second taught me/us how to move with limited visibility without getting lost. Then I had a retired helicopter pilot, now scuba instructor help me translate those skills to an underwater environment.

There's more than one way to navigate. Kicking and staring at a compass is great if you're going out to locate a specific location/item, but unless you're doing that, this kind of navigation is limited. And not much fun either. You've also got to learn to follow the bottom, features, and keep an innate understanding of your relative location given your approximate travels.

I have to say that this all came together to provide a very solid set of skills. Now I try to help instructors learn to really navigate. I've seen some instructors who don't even know how to travel with a compass, and I've seen students trained by commercial entities (read that: REI) that also didn't understand how a compass will assist them best.

In Lake Travis I like to take off in an area, roughly following general headings, then without looking at the compass, come back and surface at the entry/exit point. I've missed a few times, but it's really fun when you nail it. I guess this is how I keep my skills from fading too.

I was blessed to learn navigation from a very good Sergeant First Class while enlisted in the Army, then while going through Officer Candidate School a retired special forces colonel came out and volunteered a lot of his time to help..

For me, it was an assistant Scoutmaster when I was about 12 years old.

I also spent several years living in the field to practice it. This is key. Without practice, acquired skills will fade quickly...

Yep. Backpacking as a Scout and adult and then teaching it as a Scoutmaster myself. Becomes second nature after a while.

The first one got me used to looking at the topography (under water would be "Bottom-o-graphy"? ) ...

"Bathymetry," actually. (You asked!)

I am pretty lousy at navigation, actually I down right stink at navigation. I basically have had two diving "careers. When I first got certified I exclusivly dove at resorts where Scuba was an activity much like wind surfing and we all followed the DM like cattle. this gave me the opportunity to forget everything I had ever learned in my basic OW class! Now on my second "career" I am diving with a group that kind of says "well here we are. Be back on the boat by "X: 30" have fun. " I am actually having A LOT more fun with this group !! My first attempt at leading the dive brought us to the surface at least 300 ft away from where I thought we were. Actually if you look at size of the ocean I guess 300 ft aint that bad............ things havn't improved much

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom