How are you dealing with baggage charging when flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still bring my own equipment, and get everything into 1 50# bag plus my carry on. I pack big stuff in the checked bag, heavy or valuble stuff into the cary-on bag.

In the scheme of things, paying $25.00 for checked baggage isn't unreasonable. My only problem with the policy is it'll make folks start carrying a ton of stuff into the cabin to avoid the fee. Since folks already brought monstrous bags on board when checked bags were free, I'm afraid to imagine how much more they'll carry on & how it'll affect the security lines, or what the flight will be like.

BTW- paying for baggage doesn't seem too bad after doing 3 week trips to remote destinations where the total limit on baggage is 70#s including the carry-on.

Southwest is a popular business case study in business schools are better colleges. Uniformity of fleet reduces maintenance costs. Low staff to flight ratio means lower overhead. Route choice was one of the factors.
Even still, Southwest was one of the airlines that had to cancel dozens of flights last March due to a lack of proper maintenance inspections. Clearly that was a staffing/prioritization issue. Its possible to be understaffed.

I put most of my clothes, regs, mask, dive log, and reading material in a single soft-sided carryon of legal size (The Aeronaut Maximum Carry-On Travel Bag by: TOM BIHN). Everything else goes into a single checked bag. Last trip my checked bag weighed in at 37 lbs, including the bag itself. Not bad, that's what I like about tropical diving! And that weight included a full 3mm suit, 2mm hooded vest, 2 1lb sandbag weights, light, BCD, Blade II fins, spare mask, and a little more clothing. So it can be done. By the way, my checked bag is a Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler. Weighs only 9 lbs. Awesome bag!!

I agree with those of you who are dreading the legions of people who will try to carry on too much. I don't fly much, so I usually have to board last. I fear a lack of overhead space! My Aeronaut is small enough to smash under the seat in front of me, but that doesn't leave much room for my legs.

We bought our tickets for both of our trips before the extra fee was put into place, so we're set for this year. :)

You think that excuse is going to work?

I bought tickets for Cozumel for this coming Christmas (before the extra fee). I am wondering if the airlines are still going to insist on the extra baggage fee. I have been wondering how I am going to fight them on this issue in December when I show up with my "allowance" of two "free" checked bags.

You think that excuse is going to work?

I bought tickets for Cozumel for this coming Christmas (before the extra fee). I am wondering if the airlines are still going to insist on the extra baggage fee. I have been wondering how I am going to fight them on this issue in December when I show up with my "allowance" of two "free" checked bags.

I think it will work. Most of the airlines who have put a checked bag fee in place have stated that tickets purchased before the fee was put in place have the fee waived.

That being said, you should probably be prepared to pay the fee just in case.

I looked up the baggage policy on the airlines website and found that I should not be charged for my checked bags for international travel or tickets purchased before a certain date. I then printed this and kept it with me during my travel.

I recommend looking up the baggage policy and making sure you are not getting charged for bags that are otherwise exempt.

I found a credit card offer that got me elite status on the airline which avoids the charges and lets me board the plane first (hence less problems finding space for bags). Given the annual fee, if I fly two flights, I have saved money.

I wish they would just raise prices and not nickel and dime passenger with charges.

Whats next a seat charge?

First butt cheek included in price of ticket, second butt cheek $50.00

I found a credit card offer that got me elite status on the airline which avoids the charges and lets me board the plane first (hence less problems finding space for bags). Given the annual fee, if I fly two flights, I have saved money.

Are you allowed to mention the card and offer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom