How are you dealing with baggage charging when flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I think folks should pay for the extra suitcases. I would just as soon not pay for someone elses weight when they pack the kitchen sink. If they pack it they should pay for it, especially if it means keeping my airfare more afordable. On a recent trip to Bonaire I had 1 suitcase and 1 carry-on (under weight). That included all my dive gear, a full wetsuit (never used), extra mask, and a second pair of full foot fins for snorkeling.

We bought our tickets for both of our trips before the extra fee was put into place, so we're set for this year. :)

We pack 2 dive bags and put our clothing in a third bag, which next year we'll simply pay the extra $50 to check (round trip). It would cost more than $50 to rent for a 2 week trip, and we wouldn't want to dive in anything but our own gear anyway.

They have to charge what they have to charge and the more thewy carry, the more it costs to cary it.

But personally, I don't fly anyplace unless it is REALLY IMPORTANT or I'm being payed! I haven't ever liked the way I was treated by airlines and airports so it just isn't someplace I'd go for fun. While I've flown hundreds of times, I could count on one hand the number of times that I've flown without someone else paying the bill...and that isn't likely to change.

Ive flown hundres of times with other people paying the bill.

Hence I've flown to Little Cayman, Roatan, Cozumel twice, Belize, Ft. Lauderdale (for a BB cruise), North Carolina (this August, diving Morehead), and Atlanta (November, Aquarium), on reward tickets.

I would use up those miles before the airlines make them worthless in further "cost cutting" measures.

I love my Apollo Bio-Fins but they are heavy as lead weights. I'm going to have to look into lighter fins.

:14:

i have preferred status so i dont pay and no one on my itinery has to pay(according to usairs web site), but i usually carry on anyway!!

They have to charge what they have to charge and the more thewy carry, the more it costs to cary it.
This isn't strictly true. People aren't necessarily carrying much less - they're just checking less and carrying more on the plane. And the airlines do not go by total weight, which, if it was solely about weight, they would have to. Some teeny tiny hoppers DO have you stand on a scale with your luggage :wink:

This has nothing to do with keeping airfare more affordable and everything to do with charging you more.
Ah, so true, so true. And if they'd just DO it, I wouldn't complain nearly as much LOL It's this nickel and diming crud that is frustrating.

I wish they would just raise prices and not nickel and dime passenger with charges.

Whats next a seat charge?
I thought some airlines already did charge more for windows, aisles and other seats?

We pack 2 dive bags and put our clothing in a third bag, which next year we'll simply pay the extra $50 to check (round trip). It would cost more than $50 to rent for a 2 week trip, and we wouldn't want to dive in anything but our own gear anyway.

My thoughts exactly.
Even for a one week trip -5 days of diving (at least?). Could you rent all the gear that you needed for much less than $50?? (even if you brought your own regs,computer,mask....)

I agree...the extra charge (as it is right now any way) is worth it - you'll still save $ by not having to rent unknown gear. But, if you have to cut back, I'd still take my mask and reg along and leave the rest.

Back
Top Bottom