How bad is inhaling from BCD/Wing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gravity works just fine.

I agree but I still blow up my BC and turn it upside down - connector at the lowest point - and depress the inflator and that to me seems to empty any water that may have been trapped by folds or sitting in any areas of the BC. Seems to work for me... :D

You don't need to fully inflate it. That's just overkill. Three or four good breaths and turning upside down and shaking will do the job just fine.

You don't need to fully inflate it. That's just overkill. Three or four good breaths and turning upside down and shaking will do the job just fine.

Hi Jim. Thanks for the advice. I am mainly concerned about my health to be honest. Probably I am too worried but I just want to be safe. I cannot find anywhere anything regarding how common and bad can be to inhale air from BC.

So I am watching the Eagles and Patriots games and blew up my Balance BC - fully with 4 breaths - 3 was pretty much full but 4 topped it off...
Not to dispute but I thought how many breaths does it take... 3 to 4 seems just about right to blow up the BC... :D Just for overkill...

So I am watching the Eagles and Patriots games and blew up my Balance BC - fully with 4 breaths - 3 was pretty much full but 4 topped it off...
Not to dispute but I thought how many breaths does it take... 3 to 4 seems just about right to blow up the BC... :D Just for overkill...

Thats right but I usually do that 3-4 times because water does not come that easily out. Remember I am new to this !

Unless you have you have some immune issue that I am unaware of - this seems like a very small issue to me. But I can not answer for you - if you are really concerned about the issue - use a partial filled tank and fill your BC with the auto inflate. But for me - I think you are over thinking this... :D

Unless you have you have some immune issue that I am unaware of - this seems like a very small issue to me. But I can not answer for you - if you are really concerned about the issue - use a partial filled tank and fill your BC with the auto inflate. But for me - I think you are over thinking this... :D

Hi Basking. I think I am overthinking it as well but I always like to be on the safe side. If a medic in the forum replies then I would feel better ! Thanks, for the info though.

Have a read of this: Think twice before breathing off a bag - Divernet

There are plenty more that get away with it, but bad things can happen. The risk may be small, but the outcome could have severe consequences. There should be no need to breathe off a wing, so it's best not to do it.

I did read that already. This does not help...

At this point I am just going to confess I don't rinse my bladder out. I just slightly inflate and drain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom