How Can We Keep Divers Diving After Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really surprised me, after I got certified, how many people I ran into who had at one time gotten certified. Many of them never did a SINGLE dive after class. Some of those people had actually enjoyed their class, and still never went diving.

When I did my OWD course, the first day of class we were something like 60 people. Only 20 did the theoretical and practical exam at the end and only 15 were in the Open Sea checkout. Perhaps the rest of the checkers did the checkout in another opportunity.
Many of those that did the checkout I've never seen again in the school diving trips.

Hi Its a case of if you want to dive you will dive. I learn't to dive in the Red sea in 2001 at the age of 37 loved it exploring the reefs and drop offs in 20m vis, occasional currents loads of turtles, Mantas, etc in fact everything we were spoilt. The down side was quarter mile wades out to 5m fringing reef followed by a 20 min surface swim to a 20m reef. Now relearning to dive in cold Scottish waters in a dry suit completely different. If you touch the bottom in Loch Fyne you will silt the dive out, there's very little tidal movement, but I now love diving there, see loads of Congers and Squat Lobster, plus dead mans fingers and other stuff. Its funny but I find the squatties a lot more sinister than sharks for some strange reason. I have only done one dive in Scotland with vis approaching anything over 10 m and that was in Loch Carron. But I love being in the water with my dive buddies and just exploring. Its an escape for me. I feel so lucky to be there.

Rob,

I think you have the right idea, but your picture is still too much of a closeup.

Years ago I was a 19 year old holding a summer job as a counselor at a boy scout camp. During the week before the first campers arrived, I went about my business, like everyone else, making the camp ready, barely noticing that we still did not have a complete camp staff. Just before camp opened, I was told that they had found someone who could do my job, but they had not found someone who could be the nature director. They figured I was so versatile I could do it, despite the fact that my qualifications were close to nil. I worked feverishly to set up the nature lodge and acquire exhibits (Snakes. I hated snakes!) in the little time that was left. Soon I had a group of boys sitting in the lodge waiting for me to take them on a hike on our nature trail, where the different kinds of trees were identified only by numbered plaques. I was rooting through the unpacked materials in desperate search for the key to those numbered plaques. I never found it.

I finally led the hike, and for those first days, it was always the same. "Who knows what this tree is?" If someone seemed sure, we went with it. Oh, I knew some of them--I could spot those white birches easily, but the same tree was probably named 4 different things before I got a book and made my own key. In doing so, I learned that there was not a white birch on the property--they were all gray or paper birches.

After a week or so, I realized that there was really very little difference between the ones who took the hikes before I got a real key and the ones who took hikes afterwards. The first group forgot the wrong names for trees, then the later groups forgot the right names for trees. How much difference did that make in the long run?

I realized then that I was doing everything wrong, and after some more study, I totally changed the hike. My focus became not on individual trees but on the entire forest ecology. Why did some kinds of trees grow where they did and not in other places? Why were the trees in this section so tall and thin and so different looking in other sections? Where did animals find shelter?

The first groups could not see the forest becuse of the trees, but the later groups got to see the forest.

I think one of the things about marine biology that makes it so difficult to remember is the nomenclature.

I got into diving because of my uncle who was a marine biologist and I dove a lot with him. He told me *all kinds* of things that I found (and find) really difficult to remember because I lack a basic framework to hang it up on and I can't even pronounce half of the words that marine biologists find completely obvious.

Everyone has their own particular focus but reading articles from marine biologists is like hearing them describe this:

400_F_3952403_3g9XLbJDycIEXEGDhZBgSKrVNcTvlN1f.jpg

(fig 1. microscopic cross section of wood)

When in order to GET IT you really need them to tell you about this:

zelkova%20tree.jpg

(fig 2. picture of a tree)

Maybe it's just me but I find it completely hopeless and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I just wish someone could write down in 10 for-the-layman written pages of information that encompasses everything you need to know as a diver....

R..

Thanks for the reply.

I think one of the things about marine biology that makes it so difficult to remember is the nomenclature.

I got into diving because of my uncle who was a marine biologist and I dove a lot with him. He told me *all kinds* of things that I found (and find) really difficult to remember because I lack a basic framework to hang it up on and I can't even pronounce half of the words that marine biologists find completely obvious.

That's what makes learning even the most basic things such a chore. Taken individually, each article you read is interesting but I can't distill a framework out of all of the, what appear to me to be loose hanging details. I'm pretty sure I'd have to commit to a year of reading intelligently and voraciously in order to put the puzzle together even on the level of "Coles Notes".

Articles by marine biologists can indeed be filled with terms and scientific names that confuse the general public. Scientists publishing their results in journals are doing so to communicate with other scientists, thus the use of these precise words that are not part of the general vocabulary.

What is needed are more scientists who can write about marine life for the general public. Like being the Carl Sagan of marine biology. I try to keep my articles geared towards the general reader, and don't use a lot of technical terms. I'm "rewarded" for that constantly by our grocery store checkers, hotel staff and others who are not divers but have an interest in the waters around us.

I have to say, just knowing the names of things doesn't create an investment. Knowing where they live, what they eat, who eats them, what their protection strategy is, how they reproduce, what their eggs look like, etc. -- THAT creates a sense of connection to the underwater world, for me at least. THAT's what I got from my superb marine ID class.

Dr bill, thought on this, close to home in thought, My wife has not dove since july, we are divorcing, she has half of all the scuba gear, and that is more than most dream of. I believe she will only dive if on vacation, and will not go for a diving vacation, her local diving faded, I of course did all prep and made it happen, so it was easy for her.

Had a little dive dinner, ling cod, cabezon, jeff won a thousand dollars through work, his wife does not dive, and they do mexico, they booked cozumel, when it came up at dinner and drinks, she said she cancelled, and decided non diving destination.

The decision in diving, is a single one, and you have to be willing to persuade others in your life. Her side of the family always acted like I am a weird freak, I only like to dive on vacation.

People change, I have not, and people that do not change still dive. If you get all the people that do not like change, you will have a big pool of divers. Dr bill, you and I are in the same boat, I have asked many of divers to get back in to it, they never do, I hassel, and ask why, time, life has changed, money, U name it. I have slowed as I am depressed, yet I need to go dive, when you make it a lifestyle, it is a way of life.

So you ask how to keep them diving after certification, Free is the only way, if every thing was free, free gear, free air, free boat dives, free instruction, and then there answer will be that they do not have any free time.

It is alot of work, clean gear, maintain it, put it away, get it out. I am always praised on my setup, its easy, boat is easy. yet I have to do it. and there is time involved. Energy and be fit, Its easier when in great shape, yet It is a relaxing thing to do for the most part.

Once they get certified the thrill is over, they seen movies, went to the aquarium, they will go on vacation and possibly do it, but it has been a long time so they decline.

With new divers here on scubaboard every day, I see this is the best shot there is at keeping divers after certification.

Happy Diving

After a week or so, I realized that there was really very little difference between the ones who took the hikes before I got a real key and the ones who took hikes afterwards. The first group forgot the wrong names for trees, then the later groups forgot the right names for trees. How much difference did that make in the long run?

This whole thing could boil down to someone having or not having an interest in the subject.

As to marine biology (or biology in general), I have, at most, a superficial interest. I like swimming with the fish but I won't spend more than a couple of minutes thinking about their lives. It just isn't that interesting - to me! For others, it is all consuming.

I remember when I was in high school and honors students were failing biology. I knew right then that I would never take the course.

But I like swimming with the fish...

Richard

People might be interested in a point of view being expressed in another thread. To summarize it, there is no reason to keep diversdiving; in fact, it would be good if the entire industry were to fail. That way the serious divers could go on diving by bringing their own tanks and compressors with them wherever they go, by mule if needed.

This has always been my contention. There's nothing in it for me whether people keep diving or not. In fact, parking will be easier with fewer divers.

As the big gear sale occurs after OW, there isn't much in diver retention for the LDS either. Long time divers just don't need a lot more gear.

Retention just isn't an intesting issue for me.

Richard

This has always been my contention. There's nothing in it for me whether people keep diving or not. In fact, parking will be easier with fewer divers.

As the big gear sale occurs after OW, there isn't much in diver retention for the LDS either. Long time divers just don't need a lot more gear.

Retention just isn't an intesting issue for me.

Richard

So there you have it Dr. Bill. There is no need to encourage divers to stay with it. There is no reason to save the industry.

There are already too many divers, and we should be doing what we can to discourage divers and free up the parking spaces.

Back
Top Bottom