How Can We Keep Divers Diving After Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They say the diving industry is in decline. I hope not. However, we have all heard the stories about the individual who gets OW SCUBA certified because they are taking a trip to some great dive location, but then they stop diving afterwards. Or the ones who take it up and just get "bored" in a few months.

Obviously we need to maintain a level of excitement in diving, and make each successive diving a learning experience, to keep people "down under." How do we do that?

Today SCUBA certifications are largely based on skills and knowledge about diving techniques and equipment itself. For equipment junkies this may work. Tech divers enjoy improving their knowledge of techniques and practices well beyond the standard recreational diving certs. However, it is my opinion that for most people, learning about equipment and techniques and practicing skills is NOT what will keep them interested.

The reason I've not become bored of diving despite nearly 50 years is that I continue to learn new things (OK, so I'm a slow learner). I see new species, or observe new behaviors in species I'm already pretty familiar with despite having dived the same waters for 40 years now.

Specialty "classes" like naturalist just don't cut it. They are brief, superficial and occasionally poorly or inaccurately taught because SCUBA instructors are not trained marine biologists for the most part. They teach the fundamentals of SCUBA, but often are not equipped to expand the diver's knowledge of the marine ecosystems even in their own waters (I have seen so many make mistakes in identification and "facts").

IMHO one good way to keep divers diving, to keep them coming into retail shops for air fills and equipment, is to give them reasons to dive. REAL classes about the marine environment which bo beyond simple fish, invertebrate or algae ID would enhance the diver's understanding of what they are seeing underwater. I'm talking courses that last several sessions including topside presentations and diving.

Another focus might be for those who wish to hunt underwater. These classes would focus on fish and invertebrate identification (maybe algae ID for vegetarians?), local fish regulations, how to accurately estimate size underwater, etc.

Perhaps I'm just being a bit self-serving as my own efforts over the course of the last 40 years have been focused on marine education. However, I've met a number of divers who, after watching one of my videos, have commented on finally understanding what they were seeing underwater... or that they saw a certain behavior for the first time because they had been primed to look for it by watching one of my videos.

I am one of the new divers just joining this sport, and I hope that I don't get "bored" with it, especially after I spent so much money on equipment, but I could see it happening. I think the biggest factor for me is the lack of places to dive that are convenient to where I live. The closest good places to dive are more than a 2 hour drive away. I am really excited about it right now, so we have made that 2+ hour drive once already and have planned trips to Key West, the Bahamas and St. Lucia over the next six months, but that is going to get real expensive real fast and isn't really sustainable.

There used to be a quarry called Dive Haven very close to Atlanta, but it has been closed down apparently for over a year as a result of a legal dispute of some sort. If more places that like would open up nearby, it would be great.

If not for this approach by "each new generation" you'd be writing your "post" on the wall of a cave in paint made from animal dung and crushed berries.

Thanks for making my point. You consider everything that has gone on before; you apply old and new science and move forward.

By the way, in today's computer age, there are people that use pens as well. If you think about the future and don't consider the past, you're an idiot.

IMHO one good way to keep divers diving, to keep them coming into retail shops for air fills and equipment, is to give them reasons to dive.

Absolutely. That's part of it. Some people are motivated by the "fish watching", some for the photography, some for the wrecks...etc etc. Your idea of providing them with classes to suit a variety of interests (the cafeteria model) is what the adventures in diving thing is all about.

Granted, I'm sure that a REAL class, to borrow your term, would help some of them more than the superficial classes we have now. But then again REAL courses in marine biology etc are available through community colleges and I don't think large numbers of divers are taking them.... there must be a reason for that.

R..

I think a big reason for the lack of continuing boils down to cost and time.
It is an expensive sport to stay current and you need to devote a lot of time to stay current as well. I think we could do something towards the cost by offering up equipment we don't like/use for little or no cost. I have a bunch of stuff I bought for my son as he was growing that he outgrew with plenty of life still in it. Takes too long to list it on EBAY so it just sits in a closet till I meet some kid who has an interest and we try to build him an outfit. I'd like to see the industry on Scuba Forum do that nationally and on a much larger scale.

But the matter of time is the key. We are all pulled in a million different directions with kids, family, work. It's hard to justify the cost of the equipment for this sport when you don't get to use it before it needs re-certification.

It's a great family sport I think. Gives you something to do with kids that you can all be on the same level. It generates great kitchen table conversations. It always gives you something to buy for Christmas and Fathers Day! I try hard to promote it whenever I can. We should all.

Go Deep
Greg

They say the diving industry is in decline. I hope not. However, we have all heard the stories about the individual who gets OW SCUBA certified because they are taking a trip to some great dive location, but then they stop diving afterwards. Or the ones who take it up and just get "bored" in a few months.

Obviously we need to maintain a level of excitement in diving, and make each successive diving a learning experience, to keep people "down under." How do we do that?
Today SCUBA certifications are largely based on skills and knowledge about diving techniques and equipment itself. For equipment junkies this may work. Tech divers enjoy improving their knowledge of techniques and practices well beyond the standard recreational diving certs. However, it is my opinion that for most people, learning about equipment and techniques and practicing skills is NOT what will keep them interested.

The reason I've not become bored of diving despite nearly 50 years is that I continue to learn new things (OK, so I'm a slow learner). I see new species, or observe new behaviors in species I'm already pretty familiar with despite having dived the same waters for 40 years now.

Specialty "classes" like naturalist just don't cut it. They are brief, superficial and occasionally poorly or inaccurately taught because SCUBA instructors are not trained marine biologists for the most part. They teach the fundamentals of SCUBA, but often are not equipped to expand the diver's knowledge of the marine ecosystems even in their own waters (I have seen so many make mistakes in identification and "facts").

IMHO one good way to keep divers diving, to keep them coming into retail shops for air fills and equipment, is to give them reasons to dive. REAL classes about the marine environment which bo beyond simple fish, invertebrate or algae ID would enhance the diver's understanding of what they are seeing underwater. I'm talking courses that last several sessions including topside presentations and diving.

Another focus might be for those who wish to hunt underwater. These classes would focus on fish and invertebrate identification (maybe algae ID for vegetarians?), local fish regulations, how to accurately estimate size underwater, etc.

Perhaps I'm just being a bit self-serving as my own efforts over the course of the last 40 years have been focused on marine education. However, I've met a number of divers who, after watching one of my videos, have commented on finally understanding what they were seeing underwater... or that they saw a certain behavior for the first time because they had been primed to look for it by watching one of my videos.

1st, since scuba is primarily a sport where you have one half of a domestic relationship diving and the the other half not, scuba needs to take a clue from Vegas and make scuba trips where the scuba portion is a side bar to the larger family vacation. When dad comes home with a vacation within the family budget and interests the entire family, they'll be more dive trips taken.

2nd, LDS need to start realizing that the guy who dives a couple times a year doesn't need and can't afford premium equipment. They need to start selling gear that meets the family budget and the realistic needs of recreational diving, not the need to prop up the LDS bottom line.

3rd, the industry needs to start telling divers that 60 ft is both fun and ok. You don't have to be a tech diver to injoy this sport.

4th, dive operations gotta quite treating all those that walk thru the door as unworthy until otherwise proven not.

I have a lot to say on this topic, and I think I will say it in different posts so as not to confuse the various messages.

I was once one of those potential divers who should not be encouraged to dive. My wife and I decided that every other year we would do a one week vacation in tropical areas like Cozumel. I decided to get certified so that every other year I could do 5-6 dives. The reason? I get bored sitting on a beach.

How was I to know how addictive it would be?

I don't think you can predict who is going to stay with the sport and who is going to quit. I think you have to go after a broad spectrum and let them decide. If people had somehow found a way to filter me out of the system when I wanted to start, I would be where I am now.

Dr. Bill,

Just another question.

You've mentioned how badly dive instructors do "naturalist" a couple of times that I can remember. One way you can reach people might be to give the instructors here on Scubaboard a primer so they have a better chance of getting it right.

Would you be open to trying to straighten us out?

R..

I hate Salmon. Offer me 50% off Salmon? I still ain't buying Salmon.
Loss leaders work because the items in question are commodity items that everyone buys - detergent, toothpaste, underwear, etc - and provides a reason to buy those things and then OTHER things at Wal-Mart instead of K-Mart. Loss leaders are not intended - nor are they effective - in getting you to buy something that you DON'T WANT.[/QUOTE]

I agree the loss leader concept only works with a good or service people want. It works best when people up shop when they come in for the 40 microwave and shop the isle only to buy the 50-60 dollar microwave.

So I think you have to break the people who give up diving into two groups the ones that did not like it to begin with and the ones that enjoyed it by have other barriers from keeping them in the sport. For example no family or friends that dive or land locked with limited travel budgets.

The group that doesn't like diving you can not change. The group that enjoyed that first vacation and never dove again would come back for a irresistible offer.
Because if they are choosing between two vacations one with diving and one without than cost may be the determining factor. If they are choosing between some activity with their non diver friends and going diving alone (by alone I mean single on a charter not solo) likely at a higher cost, they will choose not dive. If however through the efforts of the shop or instructor they are brought into the local and in case of scuba board international dive community they will likely dive more. Think if the loss leader "classes, dive trips, and training" as a non threatening way to bring the diver into the fold.

If they enjoy themselves they may even up shop and go on a charter or dive vacation with their new friends at full price.

I imagine some households are a mix of the two types of "fall outs" one that hated it and one that loved it. Well you likely loose the entire household from the sport because the one that did not like it. Dive shops should have one or two planned trips a year where the non diver also gets a great vacation at a great price. Think Galapagos live aboard that every day has a boat going a shore or a snorkeling opportunity for the non divers. Sure the individuals could do this on their own, but the trip will be much more appealing if each member of the family knows that there will be other divers or non divers to enjoy the actives with.

I think a big reason for the lack of continuing boils down to cost and time.

You're right of course, but you're only looking at half the equation. The other half = VALUE RECEIVED.

Diving is just as expensive and time consuming for me as it is for my next door neighbor, who did it once and stopped. I obviously receive more VALUE for my time and money than he did.

What's different about me vs him? It's obviously not available time or money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom