How Dangerous is Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's nice that you're 43 and feel good and there are certainly old folks that are in good shape, however the sad fact is that as people age, parts of them stop working so well, and eventually they die.

You may be pointing out the cultural reality but you're missing the point that cultural norms can be setting the bar FAR too low. Apparently, 60% of North Americans are overweight or obese. You might be surprised to discover that it's not that bad in other parts of the world. Being sedentary and out of shape is an individual choice but also a cultural norm.

You two are not talking about the same thing. Body parts do wear out. I keep myself in pretty good shape, but I have an artificial knee that has nothing to do with my fitness level. (Actually, my fitness level hay have accelerated the need for it.) You can get coronary artery disease as you age despite your best efforts to lead a healthy lifestyle. Just ask Jim Fixx. (If only you could.)

And, of course, on the flip side, we had George Burns, who commented that many doctors had warned him to quit smoking, quit drinking, etc. because it was bad for his health. He outlived the doctors, and passed away a couple of months after his 100th birthday.

My wife's grandmother was much the same. She was overweight pretty much her entire life, and didn't exactly eat the healthiest of diets. She was, however, an active person (she climbed the pyramids in Mexico when she was in her 70s, and in her late 80s, early 90s, was teaching the other residents of her retirement home how to do the Charleston), and I often joked when it was her time to go, they were going to have to nail the coffin shut, because she would be trying to get out and take care of "just one more thing." Funny story about her - she and a relative would save their nickels all year long for an annual gambling trip to Nevada. One year, a young punk figured this fat old lady would make an easy mark, and tried to snatch her purse. Grandma didn't let go, and instead yanked back and knocked the punk to the ground, where she proceeded to beat the daylights out of him with her purse full of nickels.

Just remember folks - being fat does not necessarily mean weak and out of shape. I think Grandma could have outwalked most of us, and still kicked out butts when she was done. The day she died, she was walking to the cafeteria for a meal. She just basically dropped dead while she was walking. As I recall she was 98 at the time.

LOL, certainly not advocating what we've proven to be, in most cases, unhealthy lifestyles. But I too used to joke with my grandmother who made it to 98 years that we would not have to embalm her when she went because she was already pickled (screwdriver and martini every day) and smoked.

Apparently I was right too because her son, my uncle, who writes books for each state on how to beat the undertaker, showed up at the cemetary with grandma in a pine casket he'd made himself, straight from the hospital morgue. The funeral director was not a happy man but my uncle knows the laws and there wasn't a thing they could do.

Ok, back to the topic... which was?

Diving is an inherently dangerous sport. Training and experience can reduce your risk but it’s still a dangerous sport.

A friend and I made a single 70 foot dive, multilevel with no vertical assent, and a good safety stop. We both had computers and were well within the no DECO limits. We were diving out of kayaks, when we got back she couldn’t get out of her kayak. It turned out that she couldn’t get out of her kayak because she was paralyzed from the waist down. Fortunately she made a full recovery after several chamber dives.

Sitting here I can think of eight other friends and acquaintances off the top of my head that have done some chamber time for no apparent reason. I’ve made a few chamber dives myself.
Bottom line is that you never know when it’s going to be your turn.

WM - The DCS experiences that you and your friends have had seem (to me) to be more frequent than most other divers. Do you have any ideas about why that is?

Most scuba diving injuries can be cured: al la chamber ride!

Most sky diving injuries that I know of are usually fatal.

You weight the risk.

Is diving more dangerous than sitting at home in a plastic bubble? You betcha. That's one of the reasons it's more fun. :)

Life is kinda like computer security. The most secure computer is one that is at the bottom of a closet, unplugged, and not in use. While it might be ultra safe, it sure isn't very useful, either.

To me the great thing about scuba (done well, anyway) is that with training, practice, good judgement, reliance upon yourself for ultimate responsibility for yourself AND your buddy... AND a buddy with the same mindset... you minimize all risks involved and enable yourself to do something totally amazing: exploring another world. Is all risk eliminated? No. But few things worth doing are completely free of the risk and/or the unexpected.

It's like riding a motorcycle. You must maintain a good balance between fear/respect of the power of what you're attempting to harness, and confidence in your own abilities. Get too cocky and you get sloppy, and that's when the ***** will hit the fan.

The actuaries at the life insurance company had no rating change when I disclosed that I was doing no decompression dives with a PADI Open Water certification. Since they are paid to worry about risks, they must believe that the risk is like a lot of other life activities.

The actuaries at the life insurance company had no rating change when I disclosed that I was doing no decompression dives with a PADI Open Water certification. Since they are paid to worry about risks, they must believe that the risk is like a lot of other life activities.

Maybe... or maybe, somewhere in the fine print, it says they don't have to pay anything if you have a dive accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom