How dedicated to diving are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

osagediver

Reaction score
On a flat piece of land in Oklahoma, Tulsa to be e
# of dives
25 - 49
My dive buddy and I encountered a situation were I dove the area and he didn't. We went to a known place for diving and took us about a 2 hour drive to get there. When we arrived there were several people fishing and another group of people "casing the parking lot". It seemed really odd out in the middle of nowhere that this kind of activity was going on.

Due to this we were skeptical on diving. We were thinking if we surfaced, would we a have a vehicle to drive home in, or if we did have a vehicle would it be opperational? My buddy decided to stay back and not dive (was his vehicle). I enjoyed the dive somewhat, but he didn't dive at all that day.

What would you do dive or go home?

I'd probably hang around the parking lot for a bit and watched what was going on... if it continued to look shakey, I'd probably call the dive. Two hours is a long way to drive each way to dive, but I'd still not have a problem calling if it was that bad.

I think I would have moved on their are many more spots than just one. It would not have been worth it if you were just thinking about your ride.

Issue of trust??
If you dove and your buddy gaurded the vehicle, why no reciprocation? He should have dove while you gaurded.
Eric

Drove half an hour for a dive before work, turned the last corner, engine stopped.
Rolled down the dirt road into a parking spot at the top of the Blowhole and went.

Great dive, saw all the same stuff, but it was calmerish than it mostly is.

Bumped into some guy, dumped my gear under the tarp of the my ute and got a lift to the pub.

Had a few beers waiting for the tow truck.

Great place this.

Missed work.

Dive for sure, wouldn't give two thoughts to it.

I was in a situation diving late at night once when there was a belligerent fisherman yelling that he would throw big hooks into us and set his dogs on us if we got in the water. I had a go at him for a bit (whilst my wussy buddies hid on the other side of the carpark :p) but he was not one to respond well to logic so I ended up calling the cops (in case he damaged our cars whilst we were under). They warned him but couldn't do anything unless he tried to attack us or something. We just got in the water whilst he yelled continuously at us. Got out later after a nice dive, all was well. Most people are all talk.

Fisherman? Cut his line if he gives you any lip. Guys casing the lot? Tokarev 7.6x25.

My dive buddy and I encountered a situation were I dove the area and he didn't. We went to a known place for diving and took us about a 2 hour drive to get there. When we arrived there were several people fishing and another group of people "casing the parking lot". It seemed really odd out in the middle of nowhere that this kind of activity was going on.

Due to this we were skeptical on diving. We were thinking if we surfaced, would we a have a vehicle to drive home in, or if we did have a vehicle would it be opperational? My buddy decided to stay back and not dive (was his vehicle). I enjoyed the dive somewhat, but he didn't dive at all that day.

I must say, this is an unusual interpretation of the buddy system.

I would have just gone somewhere else. BTW, you got your dive in so given that you decided to approach it this way, why didn't you guard the car after you were done so he could get his dive in too?

R..

I was in a situation diving late at night once when there was a belligerent fisherman yelling that he would throw big hooks into us and set his dogs on us if we got in the water.

:shocked2: seriously..... :shakehead:

I always make it a point, before we ever start gearing up, to go talk to people who are fishing. I like fishing myself so I have a chat, ask them what they're catching etc. etc. Then I tell them that we want to go diving and what are plans are, etc....

I've always been able to reach a compromise with fishermen that everyone is happy with. One of the things I always offer (jokingly for the most part) is to tell them after the dive where I saw the most fish! :D

AFter we get out of the water, I'll chat them up again, thank them for their cooperation and then we're on our way. In so doing, in 27 years of diving I've never *ever* encountered anyone being "belligerent".

That said, I did nearly get fished up once. I was quite clear with the guy where we would be diving but I guess when he saw the bubbles he didn't make the connection and cast out in our direction. The "contraption" that he had looked like a box-kite full of hooks with floating bait that made them stand on end. As luck would have it he cast it straight across my back and it got tangled in my reg. When he started reeling it in, i had to make a decision so I cut the line before he could (literally) get his hooks into me.

After the fact, I went and talked to the guy and apologized for cutting off his thing but I explained that it looked pretty dangerous and I didn't want to get hooked by it. Even at that he said he understood and apologized in return and we parted without a fight.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I have found that diplomacy and being friendly yields big pay backs... YYMV.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom