How deep after annual servicing of reg, BC or BP/Wing?

How deep for newly serviced reg, BC equipment?

• I try it in a pool before any OW dives.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • 0 - 30 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • 30 - 60 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • 60 - 80 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 80 - 100 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • 100 - 130 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • > 130 feet (Open Water)

Votes: 14 17.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also alternate my pony reg and my primary reg, so that both arent freshly serviced (6 months apart) at the same time....it is a bit inconvenient.....but then again, i know that Human error isnt going to be a factor if 1 fails, the other has been used repeatedly since and not serviced by the same person (possibly having a bad day?)

sorry for the rebirth, didnt see the old thread warning. Thought it was posting on the new thread that linked it here.

Well if it's going to happen it will happen down there! I would rather run it through its paces from the start and be aware that there might be a potential problem and watch for it on the first couple dives regardless of depth in open water! I will know right away on the second stage and the first always has the possibility of seat failure anytime!

Why not 130'? Obviously the rig is going to get tested at every possible depth on the way there, and you'll never know if it is going to fail at depth until you get there. Whether its the first dive after servicing or the 50th, you won't know until you get there.

I'm not suggesting that one should rocket down to 130 on the first dive after a service - lots of advantages to a gradual descent particularly if there is something to see along the way.

People actually get their BC or wing serviced ?! Why?

After having your annual reg, BC or BP/wings serviced what are your diving habits. Are you willing to trust the equipment 100% and dive deep, or take it to the pool to check it out?

Also, how often do you monitor the equipment for proper operation? - on the 1st versus subsequent dives.

Assume that the conditions are favorable: non-strenuous dive, normal temp for you, no surge or current, good vis. etc.

depends on who my dive buddy is(going to be).......some I trust more than others, mainly due to their experience level.....

I have a small lake behind our house. That is where I test new gear setups. I prefer the clean warm pool, but the hours don't always match my schedule. I've had one freshly serviced reg (fortunately it was the octo) that acted funny in a shallow pool. Apparently a spring loaded piece was put in backward - what ever that means.

People actually get their BC or wing serviced ?! Why?

Ive had my lp inflator slowly leak air into the bladder, enough to fill a 30 lb bag in about 20 minutes. If it can leak slowly, it can open wide and runaway. Disconnecting under pressure is not alway easy, especially with heavy gloves on, and if you are pulling on a dump and sweatng bullets with stress, it may be even more difficult.

Saltwater gets into everything and you can always rinse the inflator enough to be sure you got it all out.

That's why I do it...

Usually since I get them serviced during the cold of winter, I usually get a few pool dives in right after servicing.

I'm due to take them now, and since the LDS is having classes throughout Feb and March, I'll get some pool time in.

I trust the guy that does the annuals, but he even tells me to check them out before doing any open water diving.

I use my newly serviced regulator the same as I would use a new regulator. Or my not newly serviced regulator. If any of my equipment is going to give out, it will.

Our local pool is 14' in the deep end. That's our limit after a reg service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom