How deep can you theoretically go on single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike is right on.. you might be able to take a single tank to 200 feet and back to the surface, doing your deco stops, without incident, but then you'd be totally screwed if your first stage blew an O-ring on the way up.. and your buddy would certainly not have enough for both of you to do your complete ascent sharing air.

However, it sounds like you went past 130' on your past couple of dives... did you leave enough gas for both you and your buddy to surface from that depth if one of your regs freeflowed? Were you too narced to be able to effectively manage an emergency situation? At 140', are your buoyancy skills good enough to keep you from sinking to 160' if your mask got kicked off?

How deep you can go depends on whether you intend to surface or not.

Many have tried to test the depth limit on air using a single tank and are still down there.

Tank size... gas volume... is just one of many factors that dictate maximum depth obtainable. FYI in the "early" days of dive training one was told that absolute depth limit was about 65 meters on a single tank!

Kim:
Actually some people have been beyond the ppo2 1.6 limit - well beyond. Sheck Exley did a dive to 465ft on air - of course it wasn't with a single tank! :eyebrow:

Of course it's not something to try and copy!

Yep, exactly... nothing to try at home. No one can know their personal ppo2 tolerance =)

pieohpah:
As counted in the nitrox certification class, the absolute operational depth with regular air is aproximatly 66 m (around 200ft) i.e. partial pressure of the oxygene reaches 1,6 causing a poisoning effect. So if diving deeper than that you definitly have to breath something else. Not mentioning getting drunk on nitrogene much before that.

Just a thought! =)

Have you read the "Shadow Divers" while they had two tanks they dove to 230 feet on air. The cause of death was typical a product of narcosis and not O2 poisoning or human failure.

The theoretical has a bunch of kibbitzers on this thread so I'll leave that part alone, but I have a thousand single tank dives in the 120 to 150 range, though they were on steel 95's (15l), and they averaged over 30 minutes though they are not square profile dives. I did it in the early '90s while shooting video for Olympus, and as has been pointed out, I would have been in trouble if... but in all that time it didn't. I also have some a lot deeper.

Kim:
Actually some people have been beyond the ppo2 1.6 limit - well beyond. Sheck Exley did a dive to 465ft on air - of course it wasn't with a single tank! :eyebrow:

Of course it's not something to try and copy!

Research has shown that we really don't know why or when humans will experience a toxic effect of Oxygen. Think about that again.... the researchers, dedicating their lives to researching how oxygen plays with the human system, DO NOT KNOW WHY people tox. Tolerance to oxygen varies greatly from individual to individual and within the same person from day to day. Statisically there are very few toxic events in the 1.6 range, which is why that is suggested as an absolute max underwater. For working parts of the dive 1.4 is the industry standard, with many of us leaning towards 1.2 for conservativism.

While taking a minor DCS hit is fixable, there is no such thing as a minor tox event... from a recreational standpoint, you tox, you will die. (Very difficult to get a toxing diver to the surface without them drowning or severely embolizing).

Problems with diving deep on air:
- Oxygen toxcity
- Nitrogen narcosis
- Greater gas density causing CO2 buildup - MUCH more narcotic than nitrogen
- Then all the problems people have mentioned with gas reserves and redundancy

To each his own, but I hope we are all going though a risk vs benefit analysis in our heads before "pushing the limits"

There is a bit of a balancing act involved as if you lower the O2 content to lower the PO2, you increase the deco obligation. But as Mer indicates, oxtox is a serious problem that is difficult to manage without a full face mask and is potentially fatal. Therefore despite the comparative statistical safety of a 1.6 PO2, it is most commonly reserved for the non working deco portions of the dive while a 1.4 PO2 is a much more common PO2 for the working portion of the dive.

In practice the 1.4 PO2 limits a diver on air to a maximum depth of 187' and even a higher 1.6 PO2 sets the limit at 218 ft. In both cases however narcosis is a serious factor and should limit your depth to something far shallower - how much shallower is often debated and opinions very from 60 ft among the very ardent trimix fans to 150 -170 ft for some of the more die hard deep air divers.

In the extreme, you can still get deep air certification to 240 ft and it still gets done routinely with a degree of safety. But even then the people who are allowed to go that deep do it in stages and not all of those who aspire to it will be taken that deep in a course if they show problems as they progressively go deeper. There is research to support the relative safety of short exposures to high PO2's and the US Navy developed extreme exposure guidlines. This is where some deep air record setters (Hal Watts, etc.) have managed to survive. But on the other hand the US navy also explored elevated PO2s and enriched O2 mixes in the 50's and decided there were to many unknows and too many unpredictable problems to want to make either deep air or enriched O2 diving part of it's standard operating procedures. With regard to the eary nitrox problems, the US Navy did studies with divers with extensive hard hat experience who also had very high tolerance to elevated CO2 levels, which it is currently felt can increase the potential for an oxtox incident in addition to the potential narcotic issues with CO2.

Personally I think 240 ft on air is insane and rather pointless as most divers are too severely impacted by narcosis to work effectively or to resolve problems effectively at that depth.

I also agree with those above who indicate redundancy is as much an issue as gas volume. Once you are in a deco situation surfacing is not an option to deal with an emergency - a key difference from recreational diving situations. So you need to have the gas and the redundancy to deal with the problem at depth so that you can meet any deco obligation that has been acquired.

In that regard, I think any type of deco dive on a single tank is a very bad idea. Even if you bring a large pony bottle (30-40 cu ft) your gas reserve is limited if you and/or your buddy have a problem. My preference is to do deeper dives and deco dives with doubles allowing for enough reserve gas to decompress off the back gas and then also taking along at least one additional deco gas for accellerated decompression purposes at a higher PO2.

Even a non deco deep dive (>100 ft) on a single tank is a bad idea. Gas consumption reaches a point where things happen fast and any unexpected delay or problem can cause you to end up in a situation where surfacing at a normal rate with an adequate safety stop may not be possible. Regulators are pretty reliable, but even as a reg tech with very well maintained regulators, I am not comfortable putting my faith in just one reg below 100' so a large pony or doubles are, for me, mandatory.

m3830431:
Have you read the "Shadow Divers" while they had two tanks they dove to 230 feet on air. The cause of death was typical a product of narcosis and not O2 poisoning or human failure.

Yes, I've read it! Damn good book at that... it might be that they had a good tolerance to start with, or maybe the body adapts to these conditions like many other things. I could recommend this book to anyone, even nondivers, like the author...

You can go as deep as the lake of Hades :drejnd: , or as high as the Pearly Gates. :angel2: Depending upon your disposition when you realize :icon10: that the AL80 should have been overfilled big time.

On June 12th I did a bounce dive to 207' with a commercial diver friend. The dive duration was 47 minutes during which I used 1740 PSI. At that depth I was just starting to feel the heavy breathing symptom that signals the onset of narcosis. We were there for only about 10 seconds and acended to 70' for a 4 minute stop whch we spent checking out the wall we were on. The rest of the dive was as usual as we had left 2 divers at 60' and they just followed our bubbles. The computer I was using only called for a 3 minute safety stop although we both did 5 minutes.
The dive profile showed us start the decent at the 14 minute mark and we were back up at 70' after about 7 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom