HOW DEEP HAVE YOU GONE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Last Dive. It's certainly worth reading. There's a great deal of useful informtion contained there. OTOH, it attempts to make heros of two men who had the exact opposite attitude of what any reasonable diver should strive toward. If you dive with me, you can call a dive at any time for any reason or no reason. I'll back you up 100% on your decision. Anyone who pressures another person into diving is not someone I'd ever care to associate with. These two men are dead because of attitude. Each of them tried to cancel the dive that killed them, but were shamed into diving anyway by the other. Jonathan called them pioneers. I wouldn't call them that. I'd say they were glory hungry fools. I'm sorry they killed themselves, but diving is the wrong place for anyone with their attitude.

WWW™

I just remembered an EXCELLENT response to this question....
  • "Deep enough to see the bottom"

Hello,

Well for 'deep' stuff you have to answer a few question: a) what is down there worth seeing? b) why do I need to go there? c)what VALID reason do I have to justify buying the proper hardware and training needed to do that, and the like. These are not easy questions to answer.

Some, like me, likes to hand out and enjoy the beauty of the life and you'll find MORE life from 0-90' than you will over 100' so I tend to stick where the life is located at. There is a few wrecks that's deeper than that I wanna see but i'm waiting my time (saving my $) to get the proper training, skills, experience and attitude.

Answer those basic questions (don't have to tell us but be truthfull with yourself) and strive for your goals and you'll be a safe, content and happy divers. Not to mention that you'll be getting more enjoyment out of diving.

There is *NOTHING* down there worth your life, *NOTHING*.

Ed

Lot's of dives to just under 200', virtually all of which were penetrating Superior's cold water wrecks. Most often, the deeper you go up here the more there is to see as far as quality wrecks and artifacts. I don't have much ambition to go beyond 275' or so, as there aren't many wrecks deeper than that I wish to see at this time.

Mike

...the deepest I've been isto 115 ft in a "clear" water lake. I was doing a search dive and at 115 ft my computer said the water temp was 42 degrees. It was cold, dark and not a whole lot of fun. But it was a learning dive experience.
~lildiver

My dive buddy (who is also my g/f) and I were talkking about this topic last night over dinner. she is the type that just wants to go deep for the sake of doing it. I on the other hand have to have a reason for going to "extreme" depths.

If I was going to be diving a wreck or a wall that made it necessary to go to let's say 100 ft then fine, otherwise I am just as happy with the 30 to 40 ft where I think there is more to see.

Being comfortable and responsible for my actions is paramount. I love life and not going to do something silly or stupid just to prove a point.

53m (174 ft) on a well planned and controlled deco dive. Deep requires lots of planning etc... Why do it when there is lots else to see shallower? I don't at the moment! I had a phase of always wanting deeper, then I realised.... there is very little to see, or at least remember, when you are off your face at 53m. I'll go deeper again when I have runout of nice dives in the <40m range, This way I can still get my nitrogen fix, and not have too far to go if I want to get back upto >50m dives.

Jon T

The "thing to do" when I was young and immortal was to "bust 200 feet" on a single steel '72.
Luckily none of us died, though one future magazine publisher/editor who shall remain nameless did run out of air before he got back up - he wrote about it a few years ago - it's a true story... or so I hear tell...
Rick
P.S. Do *not* go to 200' on a 72 - it's stupid - potentially *terminally* stupid.

In Vanuatu, you can dive on the wreck of the SS Prsident Coolidge - a World War II famous wreck. It lies in between 21 (bow) and 70 meters (stern) of water, only 100 meters from the shore.
My goal was to swim in the swimming pool of the Coolidge - this required a dive to 60 meters and a total dive time of 80 minutes. I ahieved this goal and it remains one of my fondest dive memories.

Regards,

vmf

Originally posted by Hocky

Hypoxia, Narcosis, DCS, Runaway ascents (which lead to arterial gas embolism or barotrauma or oxygen toxicity)...and the list goes on.

I've been to 233ft on air but I had backup all the way. I was on a line,I had two other divers on the line above me ready just in case I blacked out, I had a redundant air sourse with me and stage decompression bottles running up the line.

Hocky [/B]

OK it is time for a little bit of some EZG

first off the term Hypoxia means less than 21% oxygen. It is a gas mix and not an effect of depth unless you breath the wrong gas wich is not what we are discussing here.

secondly oxygen toxicity is caused by obtaining too high of an oxygen partial pressure, not a rapid ascent. To figure partial pressures is rather simple. Here is the formula (depth+33)/33x oxygen% = oxygen partial pressure (ppo). Your answer should not be higher than 1.6 TDI says 1.6 and PADI says 1.4 with 1.6 as a back up. This leads me to my third point

Your 233ft dive is quite remarkable and I comend you on you planning, however I must ask. Do you realize that your PPO was 1.6927273 or 1.7? That could have killed you!

I will now stop picking on hocky and tell you guys that I have been to 164fsw. I did not plan that dapth it just happened, my bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom