HOW DEEP HAVE YOU GONE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, LesleyDSO!

Well, I am always fond of quoting Winston Churchill, "The English and the Americans are two peoples separated by a common language." I guess he tossed the Anzacs, Canucks, and other Commonwealth peoples in on the English side--did not want the let the side down!

(Now, on the QT, which is better, the New Zealand All-Blacks or the Wallabies? I'll never reveal what you told me. I promise.)

Joewr--scrumming a tune

Hi Joewr

The All Blacks ARE the Kiwis or New Zealand, if you like. And NO they are NOT as good as the mighty Wallabies (well not this past year anyway, but stay tuned).

And please, it's Anzacs!

LesleyDSO,

Well, it was a little early in the AM! Look up and all will be better! And I will keep an eye on the Rugby Channel!

Good diving--Spring and Summer are on the way!

Joewr--looking up to the folks down under!

Hey TyranoThailandoSnorklus, Joe(deeper than most), et al...

The point was not how deep we could get in this thread, but in how deep we have dove. The Texans must all feel at home here at least as the vis drops into the sub-zero range! Now where are them thar hip waders??? :tease:

As for the fsw vs. ffw controversy (please put accent on the second syllable for me), remember your gauges are only calibrated to read Feet Salt water (or metres Salt water). SO you really have no idea how deep you have been in the fresh water, now have you, you silly twit??? Of course this thread will now be measured in FPP (Feet Poo-Poo). Now pop off wit all o' this silly rot, and have a go at some real topics.

And Joe, Joe, Joe… my linguistics instructors back in the days of yore, all agreed that we should be far more “descriptive” than “proscriptive”. Is allwight to mispeel werds, cuz dats how we dun spake it! Dis iz da internet, ifn’ ya haddun ta noticed, where we has jest now prooved dat an in-finite ‘mount o’munkies sittin’at them thar in-finite ‘mount o’ PCs can wright sumthin gud.

To keep my post on topic, let me say that me mum n’ dad, and now me and da wife, hav’ all been to da bottom o’ da gene pool… Don’ get no lowers dan dat!!! I got me kids ta prove it too, Chester!

and Lady D... it was Joewr that started this whole mess... :tease:

I log my fresh water dives in ffw. The calculations are not difficult and the differences are insignificant anyway. Simply take the reading in FSW and multiply by 1.025641 and you have FFW. It works out to approximately 1 ft deeper in fresh water every 40 ft or so. Our depth gauges are not that precise anyway. So if your gauge reads 120 FSW while you're in a fresh water spring, you are actually about 123 ft below the surface. This, of course assumes your gauge is accurate.

Now, who was diving in fresh water? and why are they a silly twit?

WWW™

Hey Walter et al...

Alison first asked the question, and I know from experience that many do not realize that there is a minute discrepancy. That being said, all of our gauges and computers etc, are really pressure meters that convert the ambient pressure into FSW or MSW for our convenience. The various gas profiles are based on the pressure (expressed in depth of SW) and not necessarily on the medium you are diving in. Consequently, your tables and computers remain valid as a method of tracking how your body is doing per various gasses it is on-gassing/off-gassing while under pressure. I always record the figures off of my gauges in my dive records, and mark them FSW.

All that being said, no matter which profile you use, (i.e. modified Haldean bubble model, etc) all of these algorithms are merely SWAGs... good SWAGs, and I bet my life on them when I dive, but SWAGs all the same! Yes, they are based on research, but no, they can not account for me individually.

As for the twit… usually I reserve that distinction for my good friend Joewr. :tease: He seems to be one of the few divers that can take this sort of humor in stride. Yes, it was an attempt at humor albeit a weak one at that. Joewr knows that I would dive with him just about anywhere. The converse may not be true, as he hates the cold!

ffw = feet fresh water
fsw= feet sea water

Hello,

Interesting, My bottom timer is calibrated in FRESHWATER.

Ed

IRS = Internal Revenue Service
NRA = National Recovery Act
BSA = Boy Scouts of America
IOC - International Olympic Committee
Joewr = Nemesis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom