How do I dive with glassess?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stance,

I ordered a Sea-Vision purge mask with corrected bifocal lenses and its fantastic, they did a great job! Check out the web site.

You might check with the folks at your local dive shop or destination dive provider, they might rent prescription goggles. I've used them before I bought my own gear and they worked pretty well.

Good luck,
Lisa

From your post, your are very, very near sighted 20 / 600 is nearly blind, may even be legally blind. I am no where near that near sighted, but I have found that the corrective lenses that fit right into the mask are the best way for me. The only problem with that is reading my guages and computer. For that, I use those stick on bifocal lenses you can buy at most dive shops. I only use one of them because they are so far apart you can't get binocular vision looking through them anyway.

I have a friend that dove with contacts for years with no problems. Then she had lasik sugery and now doesn't need anything.

Originally posted by DennisW
From your post, your are very, very near sighted 20 / 600 is nearly blind, may even be legally blind. I am no where near that near sighted, but I have found that the corrective lenses that fit right into the mask are the best way for me. The only problem with that is reading my guages and computer. For that, I use those stick on bifocal lenses you can buy at most dive shops. I only use one of them because they are so far apart you can't get binocular vision looking through them anyway.

I have a friend that dove with contacts for years with no problems. Then she had lasik sugery and now doesn't need anything.

:confused: Blind?? nah it ain't that dramatic...
I'm not sure if the eye sight guage here, is the same is where you are at though....
Anyway I will be getting some trial lenses to test on since I have a few days before my trip...

Go the disposable contacts young man. Ive been using them for years without any problems. You can also wear them in other non- diving situations. Stepping out on the town with your corrective lens goggles may bring you nothing but odd looks but that might just be me. I use them playing football and doing sweaty type things where specs are a pain. If I'm going on a boat dive I put them on in the car and wear them all day with a spare pair and some solution in case your eye's start to dry out.

I wore contacts diving many times and it works fine. No issues with pressure.

It worth emphasing, when you get back from this trip, get the Lasik surgery. It will be the best money you ever spend. I'm on my second year since surgery and it's a new world, you don't know what your missing.

I have to ask this question to everybody that said he should glue old lens into his mask.

I always been told that glasses are ground to focus the light on the retina of your eye. In order to focus there must be a set distace from your retina to the lens of the glasses. If you change this length the focal point will not be correct and you will end up with strained vision and the view will not be that good.

A second point is that most glasses are convex on the outter surface, how does one bond this to the inside of a mask?

Please, purchase a mask that has the correct vision set up for you. It would not make sense to purchase all of the other gear and not be able to see what you went diving for.

:holycow:

As a newbie I had this debate, too. I am short-sighted (-7.0) and can't cope without contacts or glasses. I have daily disposable contacts that I wear for everything (including swimming in the pool using goggles).

I was worried about mask clearing wearing contacts but it was fine. Keep your eyes shut, of course!! Another obvious thing is keep your mask on until you're clear of the water (eg waiting for the boat to pick you up after you've surfaced) - you don't want a wave slapping you cos it will sting like hell and you may lose a lens.

I personally wouldn't choose prescription lenses in mask because without the mask I'd need to wear glasses which would be a pain on the boat etc. Also they can easily get knocked off.

I keep thinking that maybe lasik is the answer but I'm scared it goes wrong and makes things worse!

Originally posted by brizzolatti
As a newbie I had this debate, too. I am short-sighted (-7.0) and can't cope without contacts or glasses. I have daily disposable contacts that I wear for everything (including swimming in the pool using goggles).

I was worried about mask clearing wearing contacts but it was fine. Keep your eyes shut, of course!! Another obvious thing is keep your mask on until you're clear of the water (eg waiting for the boat to pick you up after you've surfaced) - you don't want a wave slapping you cos it will sting like hell and you may lose a lens.

I personally wouldn't choose prescription lenses in mask because without the mask I'd need to wear glasses which would be a pain on the boat etc. Also they can easily get knocked off.

I keep thinking that maybe lasik is the answer but I'm scared it goes wrong and makes things worse!

I'm sorry but wats a lasik? :confused:

Lasik is one of several surgical procedures which can change the shape of one's cornea and therein effect a relatively permanent change in one's vision (presumably for the better!). The procedure costs anywhere from $500 to $2000 per eye plus assorted other consult fees. Proponents do not guarantee 20/20 vision or that one will be able to throw away one's glasses, but they do report incredible results for most patients. Sometimes a second surgery is performed to improve the outcome for an eye. Outcomes are said to be fairly stable, but I've never seen any longitudinal data to support the claim. The procedure has been mainstream here in the states for about 10 years, so such information should start to be available.

Back
Top Bottom