How do I ensure that we get to see Molasses Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We will be in the Keys for only a few days. I want to Dive Molasses reef. I tried to call and make reservations, but was told that a charter cant guarentee where they can go that day.

How do I ensure that we get to see Molasses Reef?

Thanks,

While no charter can guarantee the weather or the exact site, if you pick an operator that runs out of the Port Largo canal you will get to Molasses without a doubt.

Your best options in my opinion:

If you call Jeff at the HMS Minnow (a small 6 pack), and you are the first person to book on that trip, you will be able to "call" the dive. Tell him you want to go to Mo' and that's where you will be.

Also Ocean Divers has a fixed schedule for both of their big boats. They go to Molasses nearly every day .

Jeff

While no charter can guarantee the weather or the exact site, if you pick an operator that runs out of the Port Largo canal you will get to Molasses without a doubt.

Your best options in my opinion:

If you call Jeff at the HMS Minnow (a small 6 pack), and you are the first person to book on that trip, you will be able to "call" the dive. Tell him you want to go to Mo' and that's where you will be.

Also Ocean Divers has a fixed schedule for both of their big boats. They go to Molasses nearly every day .

Jeff

What he said, exactly!

What they said.
Molasses Reef is beautiful as is it's neighboring reef, French Reef. Molasses has over 30 mooring balls (different areas to dive). It is closest to Port Largo Harbor where many many dive ops depart from and most usually include at least one dive on one or both of these reefs daily. Dive ops whose boats are in Port Largo include: Key Largo Dive Center, Horizon Divers, Ocean Divers, Rainbow Reef, and others.
There are many great dive sites here in Key Largo, you can be assured that best boat Captains want to put you on the sites with the best conditions that day so that you have great dives.

Stop by and say hi when you are in Key Largo. :wavey:

terrific advice from all the previous posters,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Yep, good advice--MM 100 more or less--also add another big boat Sea Dwellers. You will see the canal and boats from US 1 between Holiday Inn and Best Western...........................

We just got back from Key Largo and dove with Key Largo Scuba Shack...
They have 6 packs boat and always asked where we wanted to go...we dove Molasses and French several times and they were always able to pick the uncrowded spots. Great folks and Luke is an awesome DM and Kim will do whatever she can to help you out....

Hi There! Just wanted to let you know we do take requests and we do go to Molasses Reef several times a week. If you are the first ones to book for that time you get first choice and Molasses Reef in diveable in pretty much all weather conditions. Just like Lynn said we take a max of 6 divers per trip n our 14 passenger boat and send a free guide on all of our dives. We would love to have you come dive with us! Thanks!
Kim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom