How do I get rid of the rust on my knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could try steel wool. Be warned that if you use coarse stuff, then the finish will get all scratchy looking. In order to keep the finish nice you will have to go over it again with finer grades of steel wool, in order to get that nice polish back. But, if you don't care that your knife has a dull (brushed) look, then go ahead and steel-wool it.

You can also get some wire-bristle attachments for a Dremel tool. Just be careful not to wear down any spots too much.

When you're finished put some of that silicon grease on it that they sell at the local dive shop. Otherwise it will just get rusty again.

Whenever you work on a knife, make sure it is secure. Clamp it to a bench if you have to. Be safe!

i wouldnt advise a steel wool but that realy depends on the steel and surface type,

at the machine shop after removing harden steel from the wire edm solution the medal would almost rust in seconds with out a protected surface like either stainless finish or solid stainless steel wich consist of mostly nickel in wich theres not much you can do but...

if the steel has a powder coat and is not stainless you may not want to remove the powder coat with a wool cloth,

try a strong toilet bowl clearer like lysole (may be misspelled) lol another one!!!

but after you use that on it by rubbing it with your fingers for a few moments youll have to use baking soda to nuetralize the acid
very important or the toilet bowl cleaner will continue to eat the medal in time

hope it work, dont worry its safe and non harmfull if it doesnt hurt

Well, this may be a bit out of control, but here is two options. Soak the knife in CLR, available at walmart and I think supermarkets.It will dissolve the rust. The second....... Dry sand the blade w/ 220 paper. Then wetsand with 400, 600, 800 and 1500. Then hit with mechanical buff (orbital sander with polishing bonnet) and good metal polish ie, mothers, busch (best), flitz etc. It'll come out like chrome. I do a lot of car restorations and this is what I've found to work best.

good luck

SCUBAMedicBill once bubbled...

Oversea,

What is CLR?

:confused:

CLR is awesome stuff. They sell it at most hardware stores, and I think someone mentioned WalMart too. It stands for "Calcium, Lime, Rust". It is used for cleaning up hard water deposits in your bathtub.

Poor knife!
No neglect = No rust.

Babelfish once bubbled...

CLR is awesome stuff. They sell it at most hardware stores, and I think someone mentioned WalMart too. It stands for "Calcium, Lime, Rust". It is used for cleaning up hard water deposits in your bathtub.

Babelfish,

Thank you, I'm going to pick some of that up and get rid of some of my own rust.

Bill:)

Back
Top Bottom