How do you back up your computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok how? how do you keep track of the various depths and times at those depths?

You can do it roughly in your head with a bit of experience.

Say you do a dive where you drop down to 100 feet then gradually ease upwards so that after 20 minutes you are at 80 feet.
You then ascend to 40 feet,hang out there for 25 minutes then ascend to 15 feet for a safety stop.

The deep section you can take the average as 90 feet for 20 minutes.
The time at 40 feet you can ignore as its too shallow. (you need to stay at 40 feet a LONG time before any deco obligation will start to increase)

So if you wanted to track this dive on tables just call it 90 for 20.

Now obviously this is not what is taught in OW but it does work if you are sensible about it.
Personally I just follow a computer that am very familiar and comfortable with.

I suspect you mean with that "third sense" where, much like you could recall in your mind the lefts and rights you made in driving to the store, you could sketch out an approximate profile of your dive. That's quite different from what the OP was talking about with keeping notes about depth and dive time on a slate every few minutes. I don't know anyone who does that and it would significantly detract from the dive.

Many cave/wreck pen/OW tech trained divers do. And no, I don't feel it detracts from the dive.

Ok how? how do you keep track of the various depths and times at those depths?

Please see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3969065-post4.html

Beyond that: It's a practiced skill, and takes intentional awareness.

Many times after training dives (during the surface decompression we call 'lunch') I've had an instructor pose questions like: "what were you doing at minute 35 and how deep were you? How much gas did you have? What were your buddies doing? In what formation was the team? When did you turn the dive and at what depth?" Etc.

We had to be able to answer. Early on in training, it was a big deal. But as our overall comfort level with the various activities ("skills") increased, we found ourselves less focused on the act of diving and more aware of the dive itself. I think that's the starting point.

Many cave/wreck pen/OW tech trained divers do. And no, I don't feel it detracts from the dive.

I think in the context of this OPs thread we are referring to basic recreational o/w dives....not technical dives that can carry a differing set of applied protocols as 'note' taking at various way points in the dive.

^^ this is "advanced scuba discussions."

Those "requirements" were first introduced to my team in a purely recreational class.

Many times after training dives (during the surface decompression we call 'lunch') I've had an instructor pose questions like: "what were you doing at minute 35 and how deep were you? How much gas did you have? What were your buddies doing? In what formation was the team? When did you turn the dive and at what depth?"
Frankly, I have no interest in developing the ability to answer such questions. If I'm expending what few brains I have on memorizing/knowing such details, I will not have any left over to actually ENJOY the dive. I've got no interest in being a human data recorder at all.

If you (and others) get enjoyment out of such things - more power to you.

^^ this is "advanced scuba discussions."

Those "requirements" were first introduced to my team in a purely recreational class.

OK....... advanced as in this sub-forum on this board is now 'technical diving' as you stated... cave/wreck pent. & o/w tech trained divers ...... anyone can take notes (I remember having a slate in a few rec. classes and making notes), its just not standard procedure for multi-level dives in NDL profiles for most divers outside of a few training dives were your instrc. is going to drill you, most of us use a dive computer. Again technical diving is another thing. :)

Frankly, I have no interest in developing the ability to answer such questions. If I'm expending what few brains I have on memorizing/knowing such details, I will not have any left over to actually ENJOY the dive. I've got no interest in being a human data recorder at all.

If you (and others) get enjoyment out of such things - more power to you.

It doesn't an inordinate amount of attention.

It's little different than when a police officer says "do you know how fast you were going?"

Does it take your focus off driving to be aware of what your gauges are telling you and have told you? I don't think so, at least not after one has been driving for a few years. Diving is no different.

Just don't try it drunk/narced and expect good results :p

anyone can take notes (I remember having a slate in a few rec. classes and making notes), its just not standard procedure for multi-level dives in NDL profiles for most divers outside of a few training dives were your instrc. is going to drill you, most of us use a dive computer. Again technical diving is another thing. :)

I agree, but the OP asked "Is there any system people have when diving multilevel to keep up with all the depths and times, and another member asked "Ok how? how do you keep track of the various depths and times at those depths?"

That question isn't covered in any 'basic' training I'm aware of. Sure, most of us use a dive computer, but since the question involves preparations for that computer to fail, "use the computer" doesn't seem like a good answer.

AFAIC, the answer is either:

1. Carry a redundant computer,
2. Make notes of your profile, or
3. Pre-plan the dive, and accurately dive the plan.

If you choose 2, you can either:

A. Do it in your head, or
B. Write it down.

Personally, I find 2A to be far less cumbersome than 2B. If either takes your attention off what you are doing (diving), opt for 1. 3 is next to impossible for anyone at an unknown dive site, and doesn't take into account extenuating circumstances.

It's little different than when a police officer says "do you know how fast you were going?"
That's a question you should never answer by the way.

Nevertheless - you're now simplifying things. To be more analogous, it would be a more fair example if your cop in the example asked, "Do you know how fast you were going 30 minutes ago, what your fuel gauge was reading, and how many cars were around you at the time, and how many times did you step on the brake before taking the off-ramp?"

Does it take your focus off driving to be aware of what your gauges are telling you and have told you? I don't think so, at least not after one has been driving for a few years. Diving is no different.
Now you are dramatically re-stating things. Looking at my gauges while I am diving or driving is no big deal. Looking at the people around me while I am diving or driving is no big deal. But remembering how much gas I had when, and what people were doing at some point in the past is not a reasonable goal. Not for me :)

^^ I think you are underestimating your brainpower.

:p

^^ I think you are underestimating your brainpower
I don't claim to have very much of it - so you might be right. Nevertheless, I simply don't WANT to use what little I have on the activities you suggest :)

In the meantime, I dive with two computers now :)

Back
Top Bottom