How do you clean your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a blue tub from Wal Mart to rinse my gear in. It is smaller than a full size garbage can and a little bigger than your typical clothes basket. It has a wide mouth and ropes for handles. This is great for my gear.

ChrisMSD :snorkels:

dbulmer:
Tienuts,
I pretty much do the same as you do. Regs are left in tepid water (in the bath on top of a big zip lock bag - the bag is to protect the bath in case the Mrs gets upset) for as long as I can not annoy the Mrs which is hard but just about possible. I rinse my hood/gloves DSMB,knife together in one session and then my regs overnight followed by drysuit and then backplate/wing and torch.

Once dry, I use silicon grease on my knife and talc the seals on my drysuit (once the suit has dried). Every couple of months or so I add a little silicon grease to my inflator and drysuit connectors.

For rust I normally dunk whatever has been affected into a warm solution of water and white vinegar (10% vinegar 90% water) and then wash thoroughly with cold water.
How long do you soak the knife in the warm water/ vinegar solution?

ChrisMSD :snorkel:

I dive mainly 'fresh'water, so a garden hose is all that is needed after a dive trip.....big advantage over that salty stuff!!

I am starting an experiment with my neoprene gear. I NEVER wash it. I dive several times a week so I figure the salt residue is washed away with each dive and there is nothing to rust or break anyway.

do it easy:
I don't rinse my gear. :D I simply hang it up to dry. I do take the boots off my tanks and drain and hang my sausages. Freshwater diving rocks!

I did rinse religiously even after the fresh water diving. Otherwise, the lake, quarry, or pond smells all over the place inside car. In addition, there are a lot of bacteria build up from the fresh water, too. :wink:

I wash after every trip (fresh or saltwater) I use either the bathtub which will usually need a good scrubbing after or a big plastic horse trough to rinse in. I soak everything really well for 12 to 24 hours and then use lots of fresh water to completely rinse everything sometimes changing water in the tank 3 to 4 times. I use sink the stink on the wetsuits and boots. Then let everything dry well before packing away sometimes it looks like the fall out of a dive shop explosion hanging from my balcony but it works.

I set up two 30-gallon plastic garbage cans filled with water in the back or front yard (whichever needs the water most). Everything gets two dips and a rinse with the hose, then hang to dry. Here's the order:

1. regs - 2 quick dips; be sure to have the cap securely fastened
2. mask, fins, etc (I dry these in the bathtub)
3. BC - after 2 dips/rinse, put some water inside the bladder, mouth inflate a little air, shake and drain. Repeat.
4. neoprene - Add a cup of bleach to garbage can #1 (makes things smell better; kills the nasties). I do boots last, since they're usually covered with sand and grit.
5. Deep water the lawn.
6. Crack a beer and start the BBQ.

Total elapsed time: 15-20 minutes.

Is it different for gear that is in the Ocean 3-4 days a week?

I hose off my gear then put the reg, mask, computer and camera in a tub #1 of water. The rest of the gear goes into another tub #2. After cleaning the tub #2 gear I remove Tub #1 (probably soaked 5-8 minutes max) gear and hang. The camera then goes into the shower with me.

Once a week I take my gear home and soak for an hour in constant running warm water. No smell, no corrosion, no failure.

I used to fill a rinse bucket, but now I just back my truck up to the cement slab in the yard, lay all the gear out and rinse with running water from the garden hose. I fill the inside of my BC with fresh water while working all valves/buttons etc. then unscrew the lower dump valve, empty all water and inflate halfway. For my regs, I rinse, remove the coverplates and diaphrams, rinse inside well and screw the cover back on. Once all gear has been rinsed I hang it on the tailgate to dry, then put it back inside, close it up and hope get back in the water within a few days again to repeat the process. I've been rinsing this way for the past 50 dives and can't tell any difference from using a rinse bucket, except that it's a lot quicker.

Occassionally when I'm "lazy" I'll just dip my gear in the LDS rinse bucket while dropping tanks off ... but that doesn't happen too often.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom