How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrong, false and incorrect

Hardly.

>Popeye,

>>"It seems your first sentence is contradictory with your last paragraph."

>You assume too much.

Actually, I assumed nothing. I simply read what you spelled out in black and white. It was snipped in the reply, however.

You first wrote:

>>>"I never encourage solo diving." Then:

>>>"I'll dive with practically anyone, but I do so knowing I'm increasing my risk. I figure my risk is lowest when I dive with some specific buddies I know very well, next lowest when I'm alone and highest when I dive with most of the divers I run into on boats around the world."

To which I replied :"It seems your first sentence is contradictory with your last paragraph. You rate solo diving as safer than diving with -most- unknown divers.That certainly indicates it as a viable option."

It shows that you assess a specific need for solo diving, and you believe it less risky than diving with an unknown buddy, which the vast majority of us do.

>Most divers shouldn't ever dive solo. Solo diving requires a great deal of experience and a very high skill level.

Uh, why? Everybody seems to be getting by without the expert tutelage.

>There are divers who dive solo every day, but it's not for everyone. Even a diver with the skills and experience is at greater risk diving solo in the event of unexpected medical problems such as a heart attack or an allergic reaction to a bristle worm sting.

And this happens how often? Well, it doesn't happen often. While a diver may be at "greater risk", as you say, the increase in risk certainly isn't even quantifiable.

>A medical problem is the mostly situation that would cause me problems while diving. Chances of that happening are small. For most divers, the most likely situation that will cause them problems is screwing up. In diving with an unfamiliar buddy, the the mostly situation that would cause me problems is my buddy screwing up (it's happened many, many times). The changes of this being something with which I cannot effectively deal are slim, but the chance does exist that as a result I will be injured or killed. While this chance exists for other divers as well, the chances are not as likely as them screwing up while diving solo.

Then how do you account for the poll stating 53% of divers solo dive? That's hundreds of thousands of dives a year. Don't you think we'd see some sort of injury and fatality trend? Your point is correct, the weight you place on it absurd. It's part of the risk that a solo diver would accept. The same type of risk he assumes by diving with an unknown buddy.

>Don't assume and think things out.

I did, actually.

I've discussed my reasoning at great length. People on your side of the argument have only one reccuring theme: "I can solo dive because of my extreme skills, and the peasants, commoners and unwashed masses cannot, because of their incompetence." It's a pretty arrogant and condescending attitude. Especially the grossly arrogant implication that the majority of divers are too stupid to think for themselves. That side has offered no tangible evidence of any significantly increased danger in solo diving.

>>"I'm a 3 day grad, and there are tens of thousands out there. :)

>>Assuming a reasonable base proficiency at diving, what do you think a diver would have to learn to dive solo?"

>I would start with everything that was left out of your 3 day class. Those tens of thousands scare me when I see them on charter boats. More evidence of incompetent instruction.

Don't assume, think things out.

You have no idea what my three day class entailed, or if -anything- was left out. I was taught from the same book, and passed the same test, as anyone else. My first several hundred dives were open ocean drift dives. I was doing IANTD DM, and working as a dive professional, 90 days after certification. This doesn't imply a lack of basic skills. Maybe your lack of success with the short course is a reflection on your instructing abilities. There's certainly no other basis for your opinion, as evidenced by death and injury statistics.

Funny thing about your charter boat anecdote. In another forum, a "doom diver"* from West Palm was sharing with us how OOAs were a daily occurrence because of the lack of OW standards. I crewed a boat on from the same dock as his, and never saw an OOA in over 400+ dives.

Guess it's just perspective, or maybe the company you keep.

>>"What else would one need?"

>You'll have to go elsewhere (SDI?) for your solo course. I don't teach it, nor do I believe it should be taught. If you are capable of diving solo you are aware of it and certainly don't need some instructor with less experience than you to tell you so. If you aren't capable of diving solo, no amount of instruction will prepare you for it. If you aren't sure, you aren't ready.

As previously noted, I've already offered this sentiment. As far as the training goes, that comment could cover the bulk of scuba training as well. Any instruction is better than no instruction, especially with the well recognized need.

And I have no need for the course, thank you. It's impressive how many people criticize this course, but have no alternative.

Dave safe.

*A "Doom Diver" is the guy that girds his loins for the life risking and treacherous task of plumbing the swarthy and unforgiving depths, escaping the clutches fo the grimreaper once again (while the rest of us jump in, go diving and have fun). There's several doom divers here.

djhall once bubbled...
At this level, I think we agree much more than we disagree. I think the existing class, its instructors, and the students it is sold to are a complete farce. Like the instructor you mention with no tech training who wanted to teach the class... with no tech training, I'm not sure he should even be qualified to TAKE the class, nevermind teaching it.

No, the existing solo-diver class situation probably should not be sanctioned. I also agree that the major certifying agencies are virtually unable to offer a course that would be acceptable because they have gone too far down the road of selling "advanced" certifications to barely competent novice divers to get serious about training now. To teach a truly advanced class to truly advanced divers would make it obvious how inadequate their other "advanced" training really is.

I simply feel that ignoring solo-diving is as dangerous as ignoring cave diving or wreck diving. People ARE going to do it, trained or not. A policy that forbids an experienced wreck or cave instructor from setting a float in 40 feet of water solo invites divers to make the judment that the policies are unrealistic and therefore meaningless. Having experienced divers take the position that, "If you are capable of diving solo you are aware of it," just invites people who are terrible divers, but who think they are great, to declare themselves ready and fire away. Other divers, seeing people who are in no way qualified to do this kind of activity doing it anyway are going to think they too are ready. When the cert agencies protest, divers are just going to roll their eyes at them an laugh. After all, the same agency just cetified them as an "advanced" diver, didn't they? Frankly, the same problem applies (perhaps even worse) if a cert agency runs around certifying novice divers as advanced solo-divers (as it appears SDI is).

Maybe GUE or TDI or someone with some credibility in the technical world will step in and provide a solo-course with somthing approaching adequate standards. This would give us all a high bar to point to when evaluating the requirements for engaging in this practice.

The SDI program is a recreational program. SDI is TDI's recreational side.

ANDI does offer a SOLO program also but has many more prerequisites(its a technical not recreational program).. It requires a TSD or equivalent certification (it can be taught in conjunction but all TSD (technical scuba diver)requirements must be met plus the additional solo requirements)
Besides concentrating on the necessary skills and bailout the class tries to instill when solo diving is acceptable and when its in-appropriate.. Divers will dive solo, so its better to at least have people that know what they are getting into..

Everytime I take a drag on a Cigarette I am endangering the future of all around me.
If I am banned from smoking in the workplace and I chose to smoke alone, I am responsible.
While alone, should the filter come loose from the cigarette and lodge in my throat, suffocating me, all around me will say " He shouldn't have been outside by himself.
At least He could have had a buddy with him who might have provided an assist.
He was so selfish, He leaves a Family behind to pick up the peices now that he is gone.
If only he had the proper training, others might not have to contend with what he left behind.
It was so irresponsible of him to encourage solo smoking behavior in inexperienced smokers.
They may suffer the same fate because of him.
Geeze !
Bleeding Hearts, you are not responsible for my behavior, and certainly can not regulate it, for after all, I am responsible.
I as an Adult am making a conscious decision.
The only way it will affect you is because you are a bleeding Heart and you enjoy telling me just how Reckless I am.
Most of the Anti Solo Diving commentary Posted here smacks of being appropriately politicly correct.
Oh, yeah, I don't Smoke, any of you anti solos smoke ?

I've heard alot about diving solo because the buddies to choose from are not up to par. How are new divers like me going to learn the skills necessary if the experienced divers won't dive with us. How about making a difference in the dive community by being a mentor! I'm brand new to diving and would obviously not dive solo but would like to dive with someone who has a hell of alot more experience than me but how can I if the more EXPERIENCED divers won't dive with new be's. If there is anybody in Arizona that wants to teach a new diver the ways just let me know!!!

Blue Space, too bad you were'nt in my neck of the woods. Anyone in our group would be glad to dive with you.

The article...A bunch of photographers who like to dive alone. I wonder if the discovery chanel photographers dive alone or if they have a whole crew including safety divers.

Sounds like solo diving being proposed as a solution for poor team diving skills. IMO, better team diving skills is a better cure for poor team diving skills than solo diving.

IMO, the only valid reason to solo dive is because you want to.

Ya' make it sound like someone who choses to dive solo from time to time, is unballanced to the point where they can't interact with others.
Are ya' always so aggressive towards those who won't embrace your particular point of view.
No one has said they won't dive with those new to the sport.
It's just that some, find that from time to time, it is necessary to dive solo and they are comfortable with that.
No one has said that those just entering into the sport should dive alone.
A grid search for a Body in a Barrel, that has been dumped in a Stock pond, a line tethered dive, no flippers, heavily weighted, is not a Team dive, nor is it a entry level dive.
That diver chose to do it solo, because anyone else in the water would be a part of the problem.
I'll bet we both agree on that.
Later that month he went spearfishing by himself because his buddy couldn't make it.
If that diver has the experience at risk management on that level, can't he decide to spearfish solo ?
By the way, your post here & on other boards are greatly informative, keep up the good work.:wink:

I tend to agree with Jeffe. Every person that dives has to take responisbility for themselves. I feel that it is MY responsibility to ascend after descending. I typically choose to have a Buddy just for the pure enjoyment of their company. Of course I watch out for my Buddy and vice versa but if I choose to get wet by my self that is my right. It is a risk verses gains situation. The risk may be a loss of backup but the gain could be comfortability and enjoyment to be alone and not have to be responsible for you and your buddy.

Like I said I rarely solo but I maintain that it is my right to do so if I choose. It's a decision that every individual will have to make when they come to that point.

Besides....if the person is stupid it could make for some good reading on next years Darwin awards. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom