How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radagalf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was just wondering how many people have dived solo? Have you thought about it, done it, or do you think people who even think about it are crazy? I myself have never, and am in the process of debating about it, although very hesitant (due to safety considerations of course).

PS: I better get this poll thing right this time...
:(

Been there, done that, won't do it again.

I used to solo if I couldn't find a buddy or if I didn't like my buddy options.

I stopped when I started doing more difficult/deeper dives. There is simply too much to risk.

Besides, its more fun when I go with buddies.

BTW, don't take this to mean that I endorse solo diving if it is done in shallow water. My solo dives were stupid and dangerous.

I think it is way riskier. I don't care how much equipment you have you only have one brain.

There are certain diving situations where team diving may not be appropriate, but, this is in no shape or form what I would consider recreational diving. I have ZERO respect for agencies and magazines who actively promote solo diving.

I solo off of my cottage dock all of the time. Of course it is a flat sand bottom, and all of 19ft deep. Mostly I practice drills and play with my equipment configuration - but that is not the point.

All diving is risky. Diving solo increases the risk exponentially. For any particular dive, is the enjoyment worth the risk? Personal Call.

I am in scuba classes right now, but having been certified before, there is no way I would dive solo. I think it is the easiest way to become a statistic, which would ruin your whole day.

I guess I have one more thiong to say (go figure). Everyone says that instructors dive solo (or worse). I don't agree(any more). If your students are ready for open water and the dive is appropriate for the group, there is no reason that you should not expect assistance if you needed it. The instructor may be the guid, the most experience and the most capable but a strudent could provide air, assistance with entanglement or perform any number of other assists. The first dive would be the worst as far as expecting assistance from a student in that case I have DM's

On the rare occasion that I have of will dive alone it is the lesser of several evils and never my first choice. It, also, is not something I do for recreation.

There is an article on solo diving in the October issue of Dive Training magazine.
I have only skimed through it so far, and it seems to focus not only on all the risks of solo diving, but also outlining what you should consider if you want to do so anyways.

Cesar

I find few things in few dive magazines that would ever be of use to a diver. Some are worse than others. I read that piece and it almost sounded like they were softening up on the subject.

I think that's a shame given their audience.

I don't think solo diving is the answer to a bad buddy problem. I think a new buddy or more training for the old one is the answer.

I believe we would see less scuba diving deaths if all divers were prepared to dive solo. Then you can make choices based on rational consideration of conditions and abilities rather than fear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom