How do you fund your dive travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my wife has my paycheck auto-deposited in her checking account.
i nail hardwood floor on the side, which i use for diving.
as i am beating the oak together, i dream of beautiful coral reefs.
i crank the music up real loud and plan which island to visit next.

I gave thought to robbing our local bank until I realized that it would take several heists to amass enough to pay for a trip... and there is always the possibility the bank employees might recognize me (of course they don't when I go in to transact normal business).

When I do dive travel, I usually go on an extended trip of one to three months. I use air consolidators to get very low fares. I backpack and stay in hostels or other inexpensive accommodations. For example, in 2001 I spent 10 weeks traveling from LA-Taiwan-Hongkong-Thailand-Malaysia-Australia-Fiji-Cook Islands-Tahiti-LA for a TOTAL of $4,500 including all airfare, meals, accommodations, diving, gifts, etc.

I decided to live in a part of the world where I don't have to travel far to get to great diving, meaning the huge expense of airfares is not a major consideration. Also the general cost of living here is lower than in N. America, so I don't need to spend a lot day-to-day.

lsorenson,
I agree 100% that Cocos is amazing, truly a once in a lifetime trip (for me). Literally every dive sharks too numerous to count, whale sharks, rays etc.
But with this economy, most of us have to make some choices. Right now, in my life, in a year, I'd rather spend 2 separate weeks in Coz, a week in Morehead City and a week in the Keys. I can swing 4 weeks. The diving is not as amazing as Cocos but still a blast. Now I just need to figure out how to dive the Philippines on a budget.

My only real constructive recommendation being, "Don't get yourself in a financial hole for a vacation".

Great posts. If money allows you guys seven local trips VS only one "once in a life time trip" what do you opt for?

At year-end, I do a dive budget for the following year after I find out if I'm getting a raise and/or bonus. I know the disposable income I currently have each month to play with and try to stay within it. The dive budget includes all dive gear purchases, all training and all dive trips for the year.

If I have to carry a credit card balance for the gear, training or trip, I don't do the gear, training or trip. :)

Great posts. If money allows you guys seven local trips VS only one "once in a life time trip" what do you opt for?
I'd pick once in a life time trip. I'd also eat Ramen noodles and PB&J sandwiches for the year so I could squeeze in one or two local trips, okay, maybe not Ramen noodles but maybe I'll bring lunch(from home) to work 4 out of the 5 days per week to save money for some local trips. Where I work takeout for lunch runs $8 - $10/day. :depressed:

We budget every month...all our income and expenses are planned on paper. We don't have to travel very far for great diving, but we still budget everything we spend on diving each month.

For larger purchases or trips, we save money each month. I wouldn't do a payment plan with a dive shop. I'd rather save it all then pay in full. I'm definitely not going into debt for diving.

I guess we are lucky, debt free and retired. We save up the money for a trip, put it on the credit card, pay the card completely off when the bill comes in and then use the miles for airfare. With our Alaska card we get a companion ticket for $90. So two fly first class for the price of one. Our next trip is March 2012 to Truk, the Odyssea is paid for and the money for airfare is in the bank. Planning flights next month. It is a great feeling to go on vacation and know it is paid for. Now true we don't dive as much as we would like but we have a great trip every year. Next up CAII, followed by Palau. Credit cards can be your friend if used wisely.

its why I was dry for eight years... life got in the way...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom