How do you store your gear for transporting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This won't help with the new car with a much smaller trunk, but who knows.

Pete

"The floor has been covered with EPDM rubber roofing material"
great idea, low cost, trimable to fit, and I bet you could cut it long/wide enough so it curves up the sides of your trunk making it a waterproof "bucket" (you would have to make sure things like jacks, spare tire hold downs are padded underneath it so you don't puncture it)

Mold is much less costly on your wiring/electrical/computer systems.
Just getting salt laden beach sand inside is not so good if/when you add moisture from air
... I work on cars, I know what salt water does to the insides, and how costly it can be

'tis true....but for others, mold can also be costly. One of the owners of a dive shop near Hamilton was hospitalized with respiratory problems.....eventually had to get rid of his truck because the mold in the back of the crewcab (from tossing wet dive gear inside) was killing him.

'tis true....but for others, mold can also be costly. One of the owners of a dive shop near Hamilton was hospitalized with respiratory problems.....eventually had to get rid of his truck because the mold in the back of the crewcab (from tossing wet dive gear inside) was killing him.

Spray out interiors/exteriors for hiking, dirt biking and diving are very useful. I have a Ridgeline with an aluminum cover and a hidden kill switch to the trunk locking mechanism on the tailgate. I just hose the back out from time to time and don't even worry about it. One of the best diving/outdoor activity vehicles I have ever owned because I can just spray it down. I have on occasion netted the gear down and opened up the back in a rainstorm for a free rinse.

"The floor has been covered with EPDM rubber roofing material"
great idea, low cost, trimable to fit, and I bet you could cut it long/wide enough so it curves up the sides of your trunk making it a waterproof "bucket" (you would have to make sure things like jacks, spare tire hold downs are padded underneath it so you don't puncture it)

With good overlap technique you could do that. It mates up well with contact cement.

Pete

One of the car accessories I purchased was a preformed rubber liner with a 2-3 inch lip all around that is already molded to the shape of my trunk. I've never seen that before and thought it was pretty neat. I don't dive in the ocean. We're talking fresh water, cold, low viz diving :blinking:

'nuther question: do you all keep your weights in whatever container you use to haul your gear?

Nope. A small'ish (12") heavy duty canvas toolbag from somewhere like Lowes or Home Depot makes a good weight bag. Some of those can be expensive, but if you watch for sales, you can get a decent one for $20 or less. I think I actually got mine at a yard sale for just a few dollars.

That's probably the problem with my thinking. Sometimes we do a walk-in dive, and sometimes we are on the boat. I was trying to think of a way to keep my gear storage the same regardless of where I go. Maybe I'm just making this too hard?

I feel the same way and am still finalizing our transport routine. For now, I've settled on using the Tough Tote (from Home Depot, slightly bigger than the standard Rubbermaid bins and fits my fins lengthwise). If doing a shore dive, just use the bin as usual. If doing a boat dive, stow everything in your mesh bag and place it inside the bin. Leave the bin in the car and just drop your wet mesh bag into it when you return from a day of diving. I have the EPDM material laid out in my car as well (Ford Escape) to catch any leakage. Seems to be working so far.
hth,
Steve

If you transport your gear in duffle bags or mesh bags or anything you will get water into your car.

Can you fold down your back seats?

Around here a lot of people (me included) use these:
Mörtelkasten PVC 90 l - Mörtelwanne: Amazon.de: Baumarkt

It fits most of the stuff, is even stackable if you pack right and of courses, is heavy duty.
I put everything in one of those except for weights and bottle. You don't have to dry your stuff, just drop it in and you can drive home. (of course rinse and dry at home!) But you just don't have to bother when coming out of the water.
Also, the come in different sizes, so you can fit them to your car.
Oh, they are cheap too (check your local hardware store).
And mine is even wide enough to catch the water from my wetsuit if I hang it for drying.

If you transport your gear in duffle bags or mesh bags or anything you will get water into your car.

Can you fold down your back seats?

Around here a lot of people (me included) use these:
Mörtelkasten PVC 90 l - Mörtelwanne: Amazon.de: Baumarkt

It fits most of the stuff, is even stackable if you pack right and of courses, is heavy duty.
I put everything in one of those except for weights and bottle. You don't have to dry your stuff, just drop it in and you can drive home. (of course rinse and dry at home!) But you just don't have to bother when coming out of the water.
Also, the come in different sizes, so you can fit them to your car.
Oh, they are cheap too (check your local hardware store).
And mine is even wide enough to catch the water from my wetsuit if I hang it for drying.

Back
Top Bottom