Gear packing for NJ wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something like fundies,

Aha. Well THIS is a whole 'nother thread!

GUE has gotten a lot of buzz lately, becoming more common among northeast wreck divers as it expands from it's cave diving origins. I personally prefer the way that I was trained, but THAT is definitely beyond the scope of this discussion.

Keep on diving!

Hey hey, fair statement. And no offense taken! I didn't want to make any pretense about me being a pro or anything... I've been doing warm water vacation dives and very comfortable with them for a long time. Drysuit plus BP/W is all new to me and I'm trying to learn to expand what I can do locally.

We all have a bad day here and there and honestly I didn't consider this to be that at all. While my anxiety was up a bit I never actually panicked, just had a few things go wrong but I was confident I'd be able to surface safely regardless of air source. Total learning experience for me.

I'm just busting you a little. I already said I didn't see anything wrong with the dive. You stepped outside of your comfort zone, made some mistakes and learned. I would dive with ya!

Aha. Well THIS is a whole 'nother thread!

GUE has gotten a lot of buzz lately, becoming more common among northeast wreck divers as it expands from it's cave diving origins. I personally prefer the way that I was trained, but THAT is definitely beyond the scope of this discussion.

Keep on diving!
I think Fundamentals would be a great option and was going to mention it before you mentioned the tech training option. GUE is really big on safety and one is taught the skills to plan the dive with minimum gas, usable gas etc. I guess the team diving aspect doesn't go over well?

I think Fundamentals would be a great option and was going to mention it before you mentioned the tech training option. GUE is really big on safety and one is taught the skills to plan the dive with minimum gas, usable gas etc. I guess the team diving aspect doesn't go over well?

Nice try! Not gonna do it here...

Meet you at the Ark in Point Pleasant and will discuss over a beer...

:D

I guess the team diving aspect doesn't go over well?

Not today Satan!

Jk.. I think the team is fine. It just depends what the mission is.

Here, you inspired me to finish this project...! Might be some typos... :)

Check out the little video at the bottom of the page - will show you what it's like on the Gypsy Blood.

Diving in the NYC Area
This is really handy. Thanks for taking the time to compile this.

I use the word "fault" very loosely. There is nothing to put the blame on. This was his 1st NJ dive... something was bound to happen outside of perfect. He kept his cool, did his switch and learned something new! Sounds like a good day to me.

I'm just busting you a little. I already said I didn't see anything wrong with the dive. You stepped outside of your comfort zone, made some mistakes and learned. I would dive with ya!
Thanks man! I do appreciate your perspective.

I really didn't go into this totally blind--I did my drysuit class checkout dives specifically with a slung pony and steel tank--knowing I'd be using that setup soon. Then continued practicing that setup in pool sessions leading up to the actual dive.

But I don't think any amount of practice would replace actually doing the dive I was preparing for. At the end of the day it was an incredible experience--an absolute blast. I met lots of great people, got introduced to a dive club (and shop) I'll be joining, made a bunch of mistakes and chuckled to myself about them topside. I really love this hobby and want to continue focusing on being a better diver.

Thanks man! I do appreciate your perspective.

I really didn't go into this totally blind--I did my drysuit class checkout dives specifically with a slung pony and steel tank--knowing I'd be using that setup soon. Then continued practicing that setup in pool sessions leading up to the actual dive.

But I don't think any amount of practice would replace actually doing the dive I was preparing for. At the end of the day it was an incredible experience--an absolute blast. I met lots of great people, got introduced to a dive club (and shop) I'll be joining, made a bunch of mistakes and chuckled to myself about them topside. I really love this hobby and want to continue focusing on being a better diver.

The GB is a great boat... to me it has a lot of people on it (which can be good and bad). For newer divers I always suggest the Dina Dee. Both boats are great, but the Dina is smaller so it ends up being a little more intimate, little less hectic. I have taken my son on the Dina just because it's not as stressful.

The GB is a bigger boat, so it's more stable in less than stellar seas. The Dina doesn't really do "deep" dives. Pros and cons to all the boats. I think the deepest I've been to might have been 90' or so on the Dina. Capt Gary always feels like I'm diving with a good friend that happens to own a boat, he dives and is just as passionate about it as we are. You want to get someone to show you the ropes spear fishing? Capt Gary will. You'll probably even walk away with dinner when you leave... it's just a good atmosphere of divers, always a good laugh, always really laid back.

In my humble opinion as stated earlier your best bet is to get proficient in doubles (valve drills, S drills, etc.) that way you're prepared for whatever the day throws at you. It would be the dreaded NDL that stops your dive instead of gas supply. If you ever want to head down this way and try a set out I'm more than happy to oblige, I have a set with a wing you can try np. That's what someone did for me, happy to pass along the favor. Honestly after you join the club you should be able to find someone up there willing to do the same (and save yourself the drive down here).

I dive in NJ lots. Not on Gypsy Blood much (although I am diving with them to the Resor in August). Generally in NJ, milk crate for gear. I like setting up my gear at home meaning regs, wing backplate, etc ready to go on cylinders when i get on the boat. In the crate is all the other ****. Mask, Fins, computer, etc. Oh yes, and it’s Jersey so goodie bag. Dry suit bag should be fine and gets tossed in cabin.
Are you going this Sunday the 6th? If so, I'll see you there! I've dived a few NJ wrecks, but this will be my first in a dry suit. I look forward to not being hypothermic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom