Gear packing for NJ wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is on the OP (as has been said).

Eh, well, not 100%, in this case.

You don't know what you don't know.

Now obviously, I didn't hear the conversation myself, but If I signed up for my first NJ dive, and was told by the person running the charter "... no problem you should be fine with teaming up with a buddy when you get there" (as the OP stated), then I put the some of the blame on whoever told them that.

At the very least, it would have been good to have a conversation sometime before the new diver showed up on the boat. Our club does try to do that for our charters, and we have a mailing list where everyone can email the other divers to try to work this out ahead of time.

Eh, well, not 100%, in this case.

You don't know what you don't know.

Now obviously, I didn't hear the conversation myself, but If I signed up for my first NJ dive, and was told by the person running the charter "... no problem you should be fine with teaming up with a buddy when you get there" (as the OP stated), then I put the some of the blame on whoever told them that.

At the very least, it would have been good to have a conversation sometime before the new diver showed up on the boat. Our club does try to do that for our charters, and we have a mailing list where everyone can email the other divers to try to work this out ahead of time.
Agreed he doesn't know what he doesn't know... but I took the "them" I referenced to be the other divers on the boat. The ones' that "left him on his own" to ascend.

I agree he should have a chat with the shop that he bought the ticked through.

Absolutely nothing against the OP... growing pains of learning new stuff.

On your very first Jersey dive the plan was for you to finish solo? Hmm, I don't think that was such a good plan for them to leave you on your own.
Sorry I tried to amend that in a later post--the plan was to return with a buddy which I did. It was the second dive where I said I'm going to hang within sight of the strobes on the anchor line and return on my own when I was comfortable.

Agreed he doesn't know what he doesn't know... but I took the "them" I referenced to be the other divers on the boat. The ones' that "left him on his own" to ascend.

I agree he should have a chat with the shop that he bought the ticked through.

Absolutely nothing against the OP... growing pains of learning new stuff.

Oh, yeah! Not about blame. it's about learning...

Hey I just want to make one point clear on this thread before it gets confusing. The buddies I was joined with were very helpful and excellent buddies. I think we had a pretty good plan. It was my mistakes that led to my OOA situation, not theirs. They were very accommodating. I would definitely dive with them again.

And yeah, I'm not looking to cause a stir with anyone but I am going to narrow down the dive shops/clubs I'll dive with in the future.

Hey I just want to make one point clear on this thread before it gets confusing. The buddies I was joined with were very helpful and excellent buddies. I think we had a pretty good plan. It was my mistakes that led to my OOA situation, not theirs. They were very accommodating. I would definitely dive with them again.

And yeah, I'm not looking to cause a stir with anyone but I am going to narrow down the dive shops/clubs I'll dive with in the future.
That is on the OP (as has been said).

NJ is a magical place, but not for the faint of heart. You are responsible for everything that happens underwater, including having a buddy (if you want one). There isn't any hand holding unless you set that up with a shop beforehand. And thank goodness they treat us like adults, it wouldn't be magical if they didn't.

Honestly sometimes the viz is bad enough that you might have the best intentions to have a buddy.... seeing / finding him is a whole other story!
I agree it was on the OP for not setting up things before hand but when they agree to team up; well then they should become a unified team. This could have gone really bad. He went out of gas on his first Jersey dive.

Sorry I tried to amend that in a later post--the plan was to return with a buddy which I did. It was the second dive where I said I'm going to hang within sight of the strobes on the anchor line and return on my own when I was comfortable.
Ah ok. I saw your post that you were on your own and thought WTF.

If I'm being really honest, I don't think anything at all went "bad". You found out a little the hard way that things can go sideways and now you know. The shop could have done a little better job organizing things, but that will happen anywhere you go. You could have done a little more research, but now you know.

I agree it was on the OP for not setting up things before hand but when they agree to team up; well then they should become a unified team. This could have gone really bad. He went out of gas on his first Jersey dive.

Which is why it's mandatory for an alternate air. He didn't run out, he had a to do a switch. No one on the boat owed him anything... like I said the only people slightly at fault are OP and maybe his shop to a certain extent.

I use the word "fault" very loosely. There is nothing to put the blame on. This was his 1st NJ dive... something was bound to happen outside of perfect. He kept his cool, did his switch and learned something new! Sounds like a good day to me.

Hmm. You went OOG so maybe a little better planning in the future? What was the minimum gas calculation and turn pressure?

If I'm being really honest, I don't think anything at all went "bad". You found out a little the hard way that things can go sideways and now you know. The shop could have done a little better job organizing things, but that will happen anywhere you go. You could have done a little more research, but now you know.

Which is why it's mandatory for an alternate air. He didn't run out, he had a to do a switch. No one on the boat owed him anything... like I said the only people slightly at fault are OP and maybe his shop to a certain extent.

I use the word "fault" very loosely. There is nothing to put the blame on. This was his 1st NJ dive... something was bound to happen outside of perfect. He kept his cool, did his switch and learned something new! Sounds like a good day to me.
I guess we just have a different outlook on diving. If you agree to be a team you are a team. In this case the experienced divers would be looking out for the OP on his first dive. If they didn't want to team up they just should have just said no thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom