Gear packing for NJ wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you going this Sunday the 6th? If so, I'll see you there! I've dived a few NJ wrecks, but this will be my first in a dry suit. I look forward to not being hypothermic.
Yes, I am diving on the 6th.

Hi friends! I'm heading back out on the Gypsy Blood next weekend. Both the 19th and 20th. Anyone else going? I'm going to spend Saturday night in Point Pleasant to avoid the hour drive back and forth. Any must-do post-dive restaurants/dive bars/general fun I should look at? I guess I'll be filling tanks at Pro Dive on Saturday. Is that typically the best choice? The seem to be pretty close.

Hi friends! I'm heading back out on the Gypsy Blood next weekend. Both the 19th and 20th. Anyone else going? I'm going to spend Saturday night in Point Pleasant to avoid the hour drive back and forth. Any must-do post-dive restaurants/dive bars/general fun I should look at? I guess I'll be filling tanks at Pro Dive on Saturday. Is that typically the best choice? The seem to be pretty close.
I can't make next weekend, but I signed up for next Thursday the 17th. Hope enough people sign up so it's still on.

Looks like Prodive closes Saturday at 4. It seems unlikely you can get a fill that quickly, especially if you're diving Nitrox. I would call ahead and check with them. Divers Two in Avon on the Sea is open until 6, so they might be able to accommodate.

Thanks! I did call Pro Dive and they didn't seem to think there would be an issue but I guess it all depends on when the boat it back. I think last time it was around noon-1pm. I think that would be enough time but I guess we're going somewhere different.

It does look like the Pinta is a bit further out, but hard to tell... thanks for the tip on Divers Two as a backup. I can't imagine I'm the first person in this situation so hoping something will work out.

Thanks! I did call Pro Dive and they didn't seem to think there would be an issue but I guess it all depends on when the boat it back. I think last time it was around noon-1pm. I think that would be enough time but I guess we're going somewhere different.

It does look like the Pinta is a bit further out, but hard to tell... thanks for the tip on Divers Two as a backup. I can't imagine I'm the first person in this situation so hoping something will work out.
Not on this weekend but am 8/27 to the RP Resor.. pretty excited if it happens. Little ways out.

Can't help with fills, I always just bring enough tanks. In due time yours will multiply and you'll wonder how did you ever make it without so many tanks😂😂

Will do!

Absolutely, but what would be a fair tip?

One thing I haven't heard covered is tanks... My understanding is you're bringing your own tanks--very different than my vacation diving. Assuming my presumption is accurate I'm renting tanks from a local dive shop, so I just hoof them on?

Will do!

Absolutely, but what would be a fair tip?

One thing I haven't heard covered is tanks... My understanding is you're bringing your own tanks--very different than my vacation diving. Assuming my presumption is accurate I'm renting tanks from a local dive shop, so I just hoof them on?
Pretend you're in a restaurant, 15-20%.

Yes I agree! I cannot emphasize this enough. My main impression of NJ diving was coming from Chatterton related books which made it sounds like a pretty "rough around the edges" sort of experience. However, that was not my experience at all. When I was approaching the boat with my gear, Marty (crew) clearly picked up on my "deer in headlights" vibe and pulled me aside and ran through details with me and ensured any questions I had were answered. Later before, during, and after dives Marty would check in with me to see how I was doing and if there was anything he could help with.

Incidentally my first dive did not go great. I ran myself into an out of air situation, following my buddies' reel line. I had some mild anxiety around having to follow the line back (by myself--they were continuing and this is something we had agreed to while planning), head up the anchor line, safety stop, then follow the Carolina rig over to the final up line. I sucked down so much air in just a few minutes. Glad I had the pony bottle as I had to switch to it. Then I got air in my feet and ascended from my planned safety stop to the surface, but was able to get back down and finish the stop. I was a hot mess, but glad for every minute of that dive. I learned so much.

My second dive was a lot more conservative, relaxed, and enjoyable. Looking forward to getting back out there this summer!

Oh and one big takeaway is I'm going to have to learn doubles--I was literally the only one on the boat without CCR or doubles and my bottom time really suffered.

@tridacna ^
I think it's time for some good instruction. Find an instructor who does this kind of diving for fun, when they are not teaching.

If you’re staying in Point, The Ark is a great place for dinner/beer. It is owned by Captain Dan of the Independence II

Hey all who are interested, I forgot to update this, but two more successful trips under the belt and I'm feeling much more comfortable. I still suck at laying a line but getting better at it.

If you’re staying in Point, The Ark is a great place for dinner/beer. It is owned by Captain Dan of the Independence II
I did stay over but forgot about this and was actually staying right around the corner. Kicking myself. I have one more overnight scheduled this month so will definitely check it out then.

Heading back out this Saturday the 9th, then again on the 24th. I may add in another trip later in the fall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom