How do you think people really think when you mention you scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most common question I get is "aren't you afraid of being eaten by sharks?":shakehead:.

I get the, "do you see anything"? I'd like to say , "no you have to keep your eyes closed so that you can breathe " , but I don't. I tell them it's like being an adventurer on another world. You never know what you will see or come across.

Some mention the dangerous thing. I think some also think it's something you just "do"--ei. like riding a bicycle. Not something that you have to actually take a course (nowadays) before you are qualified to operate all the equipment, learn about safety and pitfalls, etc. "When I go to Aruba next month I think I'll try scuba diving. Maybe I can rent a face mask, flippers and an oxygen tank".

I used to get the question "Why?" when I lived in northern CA and dove in the cold water there. Now in south Texas a about 50/50 are disinterested/intrigued. I spend time with the latter group while the former typically turn out to be jerks. Just the same we don't need them to dive with us.

I know they have curious questions, but I don't know what they really think. Its like if somebody tells me the do rock climbing...but do it so that they can see all the birds that nests and hangs out on the ledge. I would think....spaz. Same here, no? doing this dangerous thing to go see little fishes....unless we go about telling them about all the shark encounters, but then no diver turn their usual shark encounter tale into a scene from jaws.

Maybe non-divers thinks its a dark and dangerous world down there, instead of it being nemo home (which is what we usually see when we are in warm water dives).

I know when some other scuba people talk about doing dives in quarries frequently, I think...booooring, but I don't tell them. I would just go about talking about if they saw all the piles of junk they threw in there to keep them from being bored to death (or course, in a nicer way).

Given were I live I get looks and questions like what is their to see and do? Or are you not scared some thing will get you or get lost. The one I love to hear the most is "I was told that their are cat fish as big as cars down their!" Another is "divers go down at the dam and never come back." In the sea diving I just get things like "I saw in this movie a shark will just come and take people down just to do it." I love the water and my sport so much that I love to share what I have see and do. As well as get others started in diving.

"How long does a tank last?'

"How long does a tank last?'

Hey I remember that from the PADI OW manual. "It depends...an hour or so".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom