How do you think people really think when you mention you scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do I go with you!

In 2004, as my buddy and I walked out of the water and up Shelly Beach in Manly (Close to Sydney, Australia), we passed close to a mother and her very young son (maybe five). This was the year after Finding Nemo was released.

The little guy stared at us in wonder for a moment, then asked excitedly, "Did you see Nemo?"

We responded "Yes, and he said to say hello."

In 2004, as my buddy and I walked out of the water and up Shelly Beach in Manly (Close to Sydney, Australia), we passed close to a mother and her very young son (maybe five). This was the year after Finding Nemo was released.

The little guy stared at us in wonder for a moment, then asked excitedly, "Did you see Nemo?"

We responded "Yes, and he said to say hello."

There goes one person who thought the purpose of diving is to go down there and see all the colorful fishes instead of a some daredevil stunt into the netherworld

When I talk about scuba diving it's usually right after I was on vacation in some exotic warm water spot when it's winter and cold as heck in Chicago, where I live. Most of the people listen and jealously tell me, I suck! You got to love it. :)

Like many of the other answers, people generally think that I'm a daredevil and thrill-seeker. They consider scuba diving "hardcore."

First question asked "Isn't it cold down there?" - answered with drysuits keep you somewhat comfortable.
Other questions asked:
"Aren't you afraid of sharks?" - answered with sharks very rarely attack people and when they do, it's because they mistake them for seals/fish
"How deep do you go?" - answered with as deep as 100ft, but generally higher

I think that the daredevil and sharks bit are pretty common perceptions. Dive challenges ... temperature, depth, duration ... seem to be more from those that are actually curious enough to potentially be comtemplating trying the sport.

"Isn't it expensive?" - answered with a yes.

My typical counter to the $$ bit is that everything costs money. I'll point out that the cost isn't really all that different from golf or skiing - - particularly in these days of a $500 golf driver or set of ski boots, plus $75/day lift tickets, $150 green fees, etc.

The only thing I don't like people thinking is that I'm some sort of rich bastard. While I'm not poor by any means, it took a bit of saving and scrounging to get everything, and I had to sacrifice money on other aspects of life.

I happen to see this one a lot; I'll often point out how we never "moved up" to the big McMansion house and what a difference it makes in finances to have the mortage paid off. Nevertheless, perceptions die hard - - for example, we had gotten really lucky in 2006 in finding cheap airfare to Europe ($265/pp-RT) so we built a vacation around it, but even though this was literally cheaper than for us to fly to plain-boring-old Walt Disney World, it was automatically assumed and labelled as one of those "rich bastard" flights of fancy. And in the meantime, the car that I drive to work turns ten (10) years old in another two months, and the home PC is eight ... people simply see only which they want to see.

-hh

I get the "oh i used to dive xx years ago man, it's fun... i should get out there again soon." Despite trying a few times to get these peeps to come out, usually they don't. People generally think other things I do or have done in the past are much more dangerous anyway.

To be honest I don't give what other people think of diving much thought. I don't think you should live your life wondering what everyone else thinks, you know?

My dad and mom just told me that how is that possible that i went into diving because they say when i was a child i was scared of the water, they say on my swiming classes i used to hide and run from the instructor, once in a summer camp the group was going kayaking on the lagoon and i did not wanted to go because i was afraid of water.....so i think jus grew up lol

i get sometimes from people

" arent you afraid of sharks"

"wow that cool i have always wanted to do that"

"it is dangerous dont do it"

i think people think of the idea that it is hard and they dont like be breathing through the regulator...

Overheard, coming from two very large women on a beach as I was entering the water for a shore dive:

"Oh look! A scuba diver!"

"My ex-boyfriend was a scuba diver. Scuba diving is for rich people who have nothing better to do."

The whole concept that diving is for rich people makes me giggle.

I paid about $500 or so, including all costs, for my OW class. My first set of gear came in around $2000, including dry suit. After that, it was $10 a dive, plus gas to drive the car.

My other sport is dressage. There's no "class" you can take and be done with it. Lessons, which most people take once a week or more, run $50 - $100 apiece. A low quality but serviceable horse is going to run at least seven or eight thousand, and if you intend to compete, you are looking at AT LEAST twice that and up. Board where we are is $700 a month, and then there are shoes and supplements and all other kinds of miscellaneous expenses. Yet the majority of people who ride are normal working folks -- they just budget that much for their addiction.

If you don't run around the globe looking for exotic destinations, scuba is a cheap sport.

Locally, the three most common questions I get are:

What is there to see? How cold is the water? and mainly from the kids...Do we see fish?

As for answers, I normally attempt to get hold of my smartphone or underwater camera and show them a couple of pictures of movie clips that I have made either locally or down South.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...but I can tell you it is also worth a lot of WOW!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom