How does COLD affect your gear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy:
Temperature update... Its -32 C outside right now with the wind chill at - 44 C... with 1 foot of hard packed snow on the ground ( BTW first day of winter is tomorrow )

-40 C = -40 F

Warren: Those pics are hilarious, busting a gut here. That has got to be hard on your gear. I think my "wet suit" would snap in two.
It's probably not all that great for the gear, but we managed to get our of the gear relatively quickly before it froze through completely. Had to toss everything in the back of the car as it was, frozen and all. I carried my drysuit inside like a mannequin (it was still frozen when I got back). Got some funny looks, that's for sure.

DI_Guy:
Cliff

I've had my dive computer in 8 degree C water temp and it worked fine... Do you know what the water temp was when you were diving ?

DI GUY-
My comment was meant as more of a joke-- but it seams that the temperature coincides with me having to use my trucks block heater. The computer flashes up a seldom seen message "check sanity- and replace before diving!!!"

On a technical note-- the only problem I have ever had with any of my computers in the cold is being able to use them above water in extremely cold weather.

P.S.-- Never lick start your your computer if its been sitting in the cold!!!!!!!! Same goes for metal bodied second regs........But I still love my Poseidons regardless of how often I stick my beard to them in the winter.

Cliff:

oooopppsss, I thought maybe the computer was dying due the cold (ie: batteries crapping out of something like that ( sorry I missed the joke, I read it wrong... I need to go divin' :wink: )

Tom: Humour is very welcome here :D (join in) :wink:

Tom R:
Cliff,

I am ashamed of you, you know full that having fun in this forum is not seen as favorable. Are you causing trouble here. :D
Well I'm enjoying it! :D Maybe it's because I remember the cold winters when I lived in Holland - cycling home in -16 Celsius, and having the mist freeze straight onto the surface of my beard. :D Sheet ice across your chin. :11:
Thank the Lord I now live somewhere relatively warm (although we do get a little snow in winter)

The best part of our "cold water" divin' up here is that the VIS is much better ( lessen of course, our eyes get froze shut ) lol ( laughing is good for ya ) :)

DI_Guy:
The best part of our "cold water" divin' up here is that the VIS is much better ( lessen of course, our eyes get froze shut ) lol ( laughing is good for ya ) :)

Naw, it's MUCH more fun when your lips & lower face get so numb that you have a hard time keeping your reg in your mouth. :wink:

I've actually seen someone's reg drop out of their mouth in Sherkston once... :ice:

Well, it shri...oh, DIVE gear?!

I remember doing a dive in a freshwater lake in central Sweden. Water was about 34F, air about 10F. I don't remember the gear freezing up or anything - but we took our gear off pretty quickly after getting out of the water anyway, and into a (heated) trailer. I DO remember freezing like a son of a gun. And yeah - it was a drysuit dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom