How easy is it to puncture your drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to get a drysuit for recreational diving (occasional ice and cave diving) and was wondering if I should be paying extra for durability? I am attracted more to the lighter trilam and bilam suits because they are more travel friendly and much cheaper. I am a vacation diver and for almost every dive I have to travel. The only drawback of these lighter suits in comparison to the more expensive ones appears to be durability.

If drysuit puncture is something that happens very frequently in recreational diving then it makes sense for me to spend more $$$ and buy a more bullet-proof suit. However, if a lot of wreck penetration dives are needed for suit puncture to become a concern then I should I still be spending $$$ on bullet-proofing of suit?

Id love to hear from those who frequently puncture suits.

Cheers

Sinbad

I have seen a new DUI leak from the diver sitting on a picnic table. Hence the nicknames Dry until immersed and my favorite for their TLS model is The Leaky Suit. Very comfy suits tho.

I've had my Fusion for three years, and over 400 dives. I have had two pinhole leaks, one of which I suspect I did with my p-valve installation. I cave dive and crawl around on my knees at times. I think that's pretty good durability.

My starter suit was a Bare Nexgen bilam. It is incredible just how tough it was and I never managed to put a hole in it. I now have a Fusion and as yet have no leaks. I do not dive caves but I do dive a lot of wrecks.

I have seen a new DUI leak from the diver sitting on a picnic table.
@Kevin Carlisle: Any chance that the unfortunate diver sat on a nail or an impressive splinter?

@CAPTAIN SINBAD: I've put a few hundred dives on my Bare Nex-Gen. No punctures to report so far. I do a ton of shore diving, but I don't spend any time on my knees. Probably the greatest likelihood of suit puncture occurs when I'm donning my rig on the street curb. FWIW, I'm pretty careful about checking the area for broken glass, nails, sharp rocks, etc.

For those who do a lot of boat diving, I'd watch out for sharp objects on the swim step, boat ladder, and back of the boat.

I'd probably select a different drysuit, though, if my diving adventures took me into wrecks, caves, or over sharp rocks.

Otter laminate travel skin drysuit here. I have been dragged across rocks in rescue training courses, up stairs in another class, and across a beach. So far dry. I have taken it around the USA and Europe with no problems. Accidentally left it wet in a -20 car with no I'll effects.

Get a strong laminate suit and you should be fine. If you are worried about leaks get a custom suit with a little extra layer in the butt and knees.

-C

1 puncture over 5 years and 2 suits.

Original trilam suit got a small hole from a Sea Lion bite. It was where some of the material had folded on itself and stuck up from the rest of me. I barely felt the bite, but did start to get wet after.

I've had my fusion for a few years now and haven't had a single problem, plus it fits better!

@Kevin Carlisle: Any chance that the unfortunate diver sat on a nail or an impressive splinter?

@CAPTAIN SINBAD: I've put a few hundred dives on my Bare Nex-Gen. No punctures to report so far. I do a ton of shore diving, but I don't spend any time on my knees. Probably the greatest likelihood of suit puncture occurs when I'm donning my rig on the street curb. FWIW, I'm pretty careful about checking the area for broken glass, nails, sharp rocks, etc.

For those who do a lot of boat diving, I'd watch out for sharp objects on the swim step, boat ladder, and back of the boat.

I'd probably select a different drysuit, though, if my diving adventures took me into wrecks, caves, or over sharp rocks.

Of course there was something there. doesnt change the fact that DUI's are notorious for getting you wet. I know MANY people that have dropped them because their suits were more aqua seal than DUI. They are put together well, and comfy like I said but the material is crap.

First suit was an OS systems. Five years no punctures. Did have seals replaced due to bad glue from factory. One seam began to seep water after 4 years. Sent to superior for repair and no issues after. Diving a HOG Predator now and after 20 or so dives only time I got wet was when I asked student for help zipping up and did not get it completely sealed. Next dive did zipper myself to make sure and no problems. That first suit took a lot of stuff and just shrugged it off. Wrecks, training dives, etc. I like laminated suits. Was looking at a fusion but they got bought out by Aqualung and that was the end of that thought.

I've had my TLS for almost 10 years. Used almost exclusively for cave diving. I've ripped a wrist seal before, but no holes in the suit itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom