How easy is it to puncture your drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottle seals are the move. I had tendon tunnel issues with cone seals.

A cave buddy of mine uses drygloves. It's reasonable if they're thin for line work, but its kind of a last resort.

To the OP:

I have a Pinnacle Evolution 2 drysuit, which is a trimalinate design that is tough as nails. I think you can crawl over shipwrecks and oyster beds in this thing. In retrospect it is overkill for the kind of rec diving I do. If I had it all to do over again, I would buy a lighter suit for sure.

Punctures are relatively easy to fix, should they happen. The far bigger issue is overall quality of construction. Leaky seams or poor material will cause you much more grief than a hole or tear that you can repair as easily as a punctured bike tire.

Bottle seals are the move. I had tendon tunnel issues with cone seals.

A cave buddy of mine uses drygloves. It's reasonable if they're thin for line work, but its kind of a last resort.
@PfcAJ: Why are drygloves a "last resort" in cave diving? Are drygloves too clumsy for working with lines? I know nothing about cave diving, but drygloves have been the solution for me for preventing the dampness that occurred due to prominent wrist tendons. Water tended to creep past my wrist seals whenever I clipped/unclipped stuff and operated camera buttons. The drygloves have made my recreational diving a lot more comfortable and safer (since I have better finger/hand dexterity for the duration of the dive).

FWIW, I have the Viking Bayonet dryglove system mounted onto the wrist seals. If the gloves get punctured, it's not a big deal due to the presence of the wrist seals.

Ya, its tougher to manipulate line with them on. Of course, people can do it, but its uncommon for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom