How far is it from Lahaina to Kihei?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll be on Maui on Oct 30th and 31st and there will be two of us diving. Our wives will undoubtedly be off shopping somewhere :( .

Anyhow, one problem I have is that I have never been to Maui before and I have no idea exactly where the ship docks and what the proximity is to Lahaina Divers or any other any dive operators. Basically we'll be winging it!

I would take the easy route and just book a shore excursion from the ship but unfortunately the only day I'll be able to dive is the 31st and there isn't a dive excursion available for that day. I really don't want to miss the opportunity to dive Maui so I'm trying to come up with an alternate plan.

I really appreciate the great suggestions you all are giving me. I you have any more, please keep 'em comin'. Thanks.

okie:
Anyhow, one problem I have is that I have never been to Maui before and I have no idea exactly where the ship docks and what the proximity is to Lahaina Divers or any other any dive operators. Basically we'll be winging it!.
If the ship is going to Lahaina, then it will be anchored offshore and you will be dropped off at the Lahaina Harbor by tenders. It's a 5 minute walk to Lahaina Divers and Pacific Dive (both on Dickenson Street, 1 block up from Front Street) from the harbor.

The walk is short enough that, for their regular dive charters, Lahaina Divers check-in is at the shop, and then everybody walks over to the boat in the harbor. They do haul the gear over by truck, though.

Charlie99:
If the ship is going to Lahaina, then it will be anchored offshore and you will be dropped off at the Lahaina Harbor by tenders. It's a 5 minute walk to Lahaina Divers and Pacific Dive (both on Dickenson Street, 1 block up from Front Street) from the harbor.

The walk is short enough that, for their regular dive charters, Lahaina Divers check-in is at the shop, and then everybody walks over to the boat in the harbor. They do haul the gear over by truck, though.

Ah, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Looks like Lahina Divers or Pacific Dive are viable options.

Thanks for all of your help. Scubaboard is without a doubt the best diving resource on the web!

Extended Horizons also leaves out of Mala Wharf in Lahaina. But I think I've read that divers on their PM boat share space with their Discovery divers so Lahaina Divers is still probably your better option.
And if it's not too crowded, Lahaina Divers has probably two of the nicer boats there, they're 46' Newtons, really wide and comfortable. And stable if the swells are up, which they might be as the trades pick up in the afternoon - it's why most of the trips leave early in the AM that make the crossing to Molokini or Lanai.

Last time I went to Pacific Dive, they didn't have a boat, they booked with someone else. But that was a few years ago so things might have changed.

Pacific Dive does not have their own boat, but they do a lot of guided shore tours. Worth checking with if you're interested in diving Mala Warf.

On their guided shore dives, do they provide transportation from the dive shop to the dive site or do the divers have to meet them at the site?

Thanks, Tim. I hope I'm not asking too many questions here. The fact is that all of my and my buddy's diving experience has been shore diving in Oklahoma and Arkansas lakes (insert laughter here) so this will be our first dip in the ocean and possibly our first boat dive. I'm trying to gain as much info as possible so we can relax and enjoy the experience. You guys have been a tremendous help in that regard. I guess now I need to contact the dive shops and see what they can tell me.

Hey okie - I talked with the owner at Pacific Dive today and he said you could walk to the shop from the harbor and they would take care of your transportation to and from the dive site (I mentioned Mala warf as a possibility) The nice part about doing a shore dive with them is they will schedule it around your availability, and you won't be rushing to catch a boat.

Have a great time on your trip to Hawaii!

Aloha, Tim

Wow Tim, you are AMAZING!!!! :D :D :D :D What great customer service Pacific Dive is willing to do too....very impressive!!

Okie, take the Pacific Dive deal. Mala Wharf is a really great dive site, and doing it from shore will give you more bottom time and you can do it on your own schedule.

Kudos to Tim and Pacific Dive!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom