How far South for spiny lobster hunting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no bugs.

But a couple of HUGS rays that were VERY cool during our safety stop..... made up for it :)

Last day today 3/31 in Fla.Herman go to www.spearboard.com and look for some east coast Fla lobsters .My smallest this year was 4lbs up to 10 and had a 13lb6oz caught by one diver on my boat.NE Fla to St.Lucie inlet are famous for monsters.

The smallest spiny I have gotten in the Destin area was 4 lbs, the largest 8. They are very uncommon though.

Now shovelnose/slipper/spanish/bulldozer ... are very common here and typically don't get bigger than single serving size.

subdude

"In Hawaii and Florida, it's open in any month with an "R"."

That will get in deep trouble in Florida. There is a mini season in July and regular season opens in early August (check for exact date) and runs through March 31 (today).

Marc,

You should have come with Kjunheart and me on Saturday. We didn't exactly clean up, but we did get two. It was great to finally meet you.

I thought I would get some responce to that comment. Just kidding guys. We do get a lot of larger ones up here but it's because they are not hunted much. They are way off shore and deep so they are hard to get to and there is not a lot of bottom time avalible to hunt. I have never hunted them myself, I have got to give it a try....now how do you hang onto a 35 lb lobster?!

I could go for some big ones that don't get hunted much. I'll add that to my "must do" list.

I've done Moorehead City, NC before. I'll have to keep a sharper eye out for bugs next time.

PS. I stand corrected on the "any month with an R thing".:boom:

Walter once bubbled...
[BMarc,
You should have come with Kjunheart and me on Saturday. We didn't exactly clean up, but we did get two. It was great to finally meet you. [/B]

You had better luck than we did. But it was a glorious day to dive! I even saw my first real shark, not a nurse shark!

What a small world. Though we would have met eventually at Wreckmania in May, what a coincidence to run into you in the dive shop over here. And the fact I recognized you from photos posted here. :) We had just stopped in to pick up a new screen protector for my daughter's computer on the way to our charter. Five minutes either way and we would have missed you.

Sandy, please accept my apologies for not recognizing you even though I stood right beside you while you got your tanks and I chatted with Pavan. It must have been because you weren't wearing the famous black cowboy hat. :)

I haven't been on Lady Go Diver since Captain Rob moved over to Mean Machine. Brian's still DM'ing though, isn't he?

Marc :jester:

FLL Diver once bubbled...

Sandy, please accept my apologies for not recognizing you even though I stood right beside you while you got your tanks and I chatted with Pavan. It must have been because you weren't wearing the famous black cowboy hat. :)

Marc :jester:

No apology necessary. My brain wasn't fully functioning at that time anyway...my coffee hadn't kicked in yet! But I do look forward to seeing/meeting you at Wreckmania!

Brian was the DM on Lady Go Diver and he was great! Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to see him (as Walter phrased it) "in action" but he had some great stories and was fun to listen to.

Back
Top Bottom