• 2-3 hours

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • more than 4 hours

Votes: 89 49.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drive a lot:
Generally I don't do shore dives, but do drive for diving.
> From home to sail club which includes diving 1 hr.
> From home to Straites of Mackinaw Michigan area where I have an inboard open aft deck dive boat at my waterfront cottage 4:45 hr. Almost every week during summer.
> Son and I drive suburbans to Florida from Michigan with dive gear, wife and daughter would fly in (and out of) to Miami where we would pick up to head on down to Keys...approaching 30 hrs.
(prior to kids geting married and families of their own)
> Winter regattas in Ft Walton Beach/Destin area and take along dive gear.

I drove from Tacoma to Key Largo to dive the Spegial.

Normally, it takes me about 20 min. to go diving but it was Feburary and I just had to get into some warm water.

Amy

I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to the closest place suitable for diving and it's a fantastic mudhole. If you see one small brown fish it's a victory. 3 1/2 to Gilboa, 2 to Falling Rock (haven't been yet, but I'm sure I'll be there this summer), the closest ocean is probably 12 hours to some Virginia diving or to the North Carolina coast, I'm probably 20-ish hours from anything decent in Florida....

Need I continue or do you feel my pain?

Rachel

I feel your pain biscuit!

I'm actually lucky enough to live right in the heart of some of the best fresh-water diving grounds in the world. I still usually have to drive for about an hour or so to get to a good site for a shore dive though.

on occasion, I have made the 4-5 hour treck to Tobermory, and have also done the treck to Giboa from here.

We dive 6 hours to Balmorhea Texas to do OW evaluation dives once or twice a month. The water is clear and 76 deg year round.

I am currently planning an 8 hr trip, a 16 hr trip and a 26 hr trip. If it is to cave country or a good quarry its worth it.

With limited days off and my days off are rearly in a row, then I only want to spend 2hrs the most driving and more time diving. If I have the weekend off then I do not mind spending up to 4hrs driving if it is really good dive site.

I used to say 5 hours max. Now, I can do 12hrs with good company to keep me entertained and awake.

etowndiver once bubbled...
How far will you drive to do a shore dive (1 tank per dive, about 30 to 40 feet of water). Just for the sake of consistancy assume 2 dives during the day, and that you will be driving home after the second dive.

joe

I drove from East Tennessee to New York City to dive under the Marine Parkway bridge for about 40 minutes.

Then I drove home.

On a bet, someone else's.

I was lending moral support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom